PDA

View Full Version : What is a "Pro Build?"...from Fitwerx

Pete Serotta
03-19-2010, 08:45 AM
http://www.fitwerx.com/mechanical-services/bike-build

Nathanrtaylor
03-19-2010, 09:02 AM
From the website: "We install and calibrate any additional accessories such as computers and water bottle cages "

Crap. I know something has been missing from my ride. I need to go to my LBS and have them calibrate my water bottle cages! :D

Pete Serotta
03-19-2010, 09:08 AM
They need to be aligned and polished for best aerodynamics :)

From the website: "We install and calibrate any additional accessories such as computers and water bottle cages "

Crap. I know something has been missing from my ride. I need to go to my LBS and have them calibrate my water bottle cages! :D

Nathanrtaylor
03-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Does Campy make a tool for that?

Ti Designs
03-19-2010, 10:51 AM
I guess it's a good thing for the customer to know what goes into frame prep and building, but there's also that old saying: "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". There are some functions that should be done as little as possible - anything that requires a cutting tool for example. I've known way too many customers who have thought "if a little frame prep is a good thing, a lot of frame prep is even better". Wrong...

So, here's what I'm seeing wrong: Step 1, using the H tools to check frame alignment. I can't see putting together a steel Bianchi without doing this, but what they are showing is a Serotta with carbon stays. Either those seat stay ends are aligned or they should have been rejected before building the bike. Using the H tools for leverage to cold set the dropouts is a really bad idea.

Steps 3 and 4 scare the hell out of me. There is a shop not far from my own which will rent tools so customers can face and chase their bottom bracket. Somehow the idea that there are italian threaded shells, english threaded shells, french threaded shells... is something that's overlooked. And one of those english cutters is reverse threaded, so if you get it backwards it makes this cool criss-cross pattern in the bottom bracket threads, and then it's off to find a new frame. Facing the BB shell is another thing that should be done once only (and Serotta does that before they check alignment of the frame). The new external BBs and crank spindles are based on a known width, taking material off is not part of that design.

This never happens, right? Not so long ago there was a thread about damaged pedal threads. I've worked in the bike industry for 25 years, never stripped the threads of a crank, probably never will. And yet lots of people on this forum have, and they think it's easy to do and happens often. Something as simple as always threading in the pedal half way would all but eliminate this from happening. There are lots of rules about the use of cutting tools, those who don't know the rules shouldn't play the game.

Pete Serotta
03-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Information is not knowledge...Let the experts decide what is needed and in which application.

Ti, thanks for pointing these items out....My intent was information not a "todo" list and definitely not todos for what I would do. I leave that in the hands of STEVE who is now at Fitwerx. (our ole Serotta_Steve)

vqdriver
03-19-2010, 11:14 AM
am i the only one who's never had to face or chase anything?
i've had my share of steel frames cuz that's all there was before and those frames lasted me close to 20 years, one is still in use. everything seems to thread in just fine and it never even occurred to me to have the alignment checked.

now if i can figure out a way to remove the surface rust from the inside of the tubes...

jpw
03-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Added value?

Ahneida Ride
03-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Steve is one of the best mechanics out there !

veloduffer
03-19-2010, 11:49 AM
I guess that's opposed to the Amateur (hour) Build? :bike:

SEABREEZE
03-19-2010, 12:58 PM
i've had my share of steel frames cuz that's all there was before and those frames lasted me close to 20 years, one is still in use. everything seems to thread in just fine and it never even occurred to me to have the alignment checked.

now if i can figure out a way to remove the surface rust from the inside of the tubes...

I beleive they have a liquid rust remover, then hit it with frame saver or boeingshied.

oldpotatoe
03-19-2010, 01:34 PM

Facing and chasing a BB shell isn't for the frame, it's for the BB(and headset). Parallel 'faces' means the bearings will stay happy longer.

BTW-altho external BBs are width critical, so is parallel faces, just like an internal BB.

54ny77
03-19-2010, 01:44 PM
i would think that serotta's (or any high-end bike for that matter) leave the factory crisp & clean and no caffeine.

having to chase threads on a $5k frame? really?

soulspinner
03-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Saw a recent Ride mag where a Passoni needed facing. Thats a very expensive frame. It was ti/ carbon(or all ti) and was also the stiffest in the static 40 kg stiffness test. Further proof its the design/ builder, not the material or mystique. Interestingly, the Trek Madone was very flexy in the bb test...

oldpotatoe
03-20-2010, 07:01 AM
i would think that serotta's (or any high-end bike for that matter) leave the factory crisp & clean and no caffeine.

having to chase threads on a $5k frame? really?

Yep, really and have to do it all the time...put name of frame here_______.

US made, Euro made, Asian made.