PDA

View Full Version : The Fox is in the bike house

William
03-19-2010, 05:35 AM
So we've been wondering why Bruno Boxer and Rhea Basset have been constantly going over to one corner of our fenced-in part of the yard when we let them out to do their thing. I think I figured it out. I was walking out with my son this morning to go to the car when I heard a rustling....I turn to look to see what it is....and it was a wee little Fox pup walking through the brush in front of the shed where we keep most of the bikes. He must have been venturing out exploring when we came out and he turned and made a bee-line under the shed once he saw us.

This makes sense since our kids saw an adult Fox yesterday out in our field behind the shed. It appears we have a Fox family living out back under the shed. Now, normally I'm a live and let live kind of person. In one respect it doesn't bother me and I think it's kind of cool. On the other hand our kids like to play in the yard and to get the bikes out of the shed they have to basically be right on top of the foxes. Plus, there have been incidents of rabies in the area in the past. I hate to oust the Fox family, but I have my own to think about.

Do we give up riding for a while until the pups go out on their own? Or do I call animal control to fish the young family out? I would rather not go the Mossberg route. What do you think forum friends?

William

Birddog
03-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Live and let live for now. It's like having a series on "Nature" right in your back yard. They'll be off on their own before you know it. I think Mr Squirrel would vote for dispatching them.

Karin Kirk
03-19-2010, 08:10 AM
How about moving a couple of most-used bikes to another spot while the family raises its kids? Foxes are pretty cool, and I'd encourage you to let them stay.

MattTuck
03-19-2010, 08:16 AM
If they look healthy, I'd let them stay. If they start looking mangy or aggressive, call animal control.

Don't feed them.

In general, wild animals will stay out of your way if you don't harass them.

fourflys
03-19-2010, 08:22 AM
+1 on Karin's and Matt's thoughts...

Move the bikes for a bit and let them do thier thing... Sometimes the fear of something that will probably never happen gets the better of us...

jvp
03-19-2010, 08:29 AM
Take note if they show any signs of not being fearful, especially in broad daylight. We had to put one down due to this behavior, plus he was persistantly aggressive.

Karin Kirk
03-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Don't forget to include the Fox Family on your census form. Remember to count everyone, including babies! :p

gdw
03-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Let them have a peaceful spring. They are fascinating to watch and won't attack your kids or dogs. If the mother is uncomfortable with your use of the shed, kids, or dogs, she'll move them to a safer place.

veloduffer
03-19-2010, 11:46 AM
+1 on Karin's and Matt's thoughts...

Move the bikes for a bit and let them do thier thing... Sometimes the fear of something that will probably never happen gets the better of us...

+2 on moving the bikes. Should also cure any rodent problems in the area.

AND a terrific segway for you & the kids to watch the movie, "Fantastic Mr. Fox" with stop gap animation (like the old days, one frame at a time - not Pixar like at all). Fun story and your family might be the basis for the sequel. :beer:

LesMiner
03-19-2010, 11:49 AM
So we've been wondering why Bruno Boxer and Rhea Basset have been constantly going over to one corner of our fenced-in part of the yard when we let them out to do their thing. I think I figured it out. I was walking out with my son this morning to go to the car when I heard a rustling....I turn to look to see what it is....and it was a wee little Fox pup walking through the brush in front of the shed where we keep most of the bikes. He must have been venturing out exploring when we came out and he turned and made a bee-line under the shed once he saw us.

This makes sense since our kids saw an adult Fox yesterday out in our field behind the shed. It appears we have a Fox family living out back under the shed. Now, normally I'm a live and let live kind of person. In one respect it doesn't bother me and I think it's kind of cool. On the other hand our kids like to play in the yard and to get the bikes out of the shed they have to basically be right on top of the foxes. Plus, there have been incidents of rabies in the area in the past. I hate to oust the Fox family, but I have my own to think about.

Do we give up riding for a while until the pups go out on their own? Or do I call animal control to fish the young family out? I would rather not go the Mossberg route. What do you think forum friends?

William
One question, do foxes go after squirels?

Kevan
03-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Sometimes the fear of something that will probably never happen gets the better of us...

A terrific lesson for the kids, witnessing up close and personal the foxes' behavior, while respecting their space for the various reasons mentioned. Very cool.

Wilkinson4
03-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Nothing good can come from foxes living under your shed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmDehYjlAGo&NR=1

Move them to a tree.

mIKE

JeffS
03-19-2010, 12:17 PM
I would try to relocate the bikes for a while. I expect they will be on their way soon enough.

Only because I'm not scared of a fox. It it were an opossum I would feel otherwise.

Ken Robb
03-19-2010, 12:38 PM
I understand that the kits will move on when they mature but why would the vixen leave a perfectly good den?

SEABREEZE
03-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Nature following its natural cycle. Wildlife having there babies in the spring.

They will be moving along before short.

retrogrouchy
03-19-2010, 01:12 PM
If they look healthy, I'd let them stay. If they start looking mangy or aggressive, call animal control.

Don't feed them.

+4 on this sage advice....

Mr. Squirrel
03-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Live and let live for now. It's like having a series on "Nature" right in your back yard. They'll be off on their own before you know it. I think Mr Squirrel would vote for dispatching them.

as long as they don't touch my nuts. besides, foxes do not like wheels.

mr. squirrel

William
03-19-2010, 02:25 PM
I will go with my gut, and the sage advice of my forum friends and leave them be. I can move the bikes to one of the other buildings for now. Maybe I'll get lucky and get some photos to share. One question though, if I don't feed them, can I still claim them as dependents? ;)

William

PS: Mr. Squirrel, if you attempt to take up residents on my property, I will most likely introduce you to my friend Mr. Mossberg. :butt: :D

Birddog
03-19-2010, 04:33 PM
as long as they don't touch my nuts. . mr. squirrel

UNDERSTOOD

http://www.billperkins.us/images/squirrel_nuts.jpg

rounder
03-19-2010, 11:02 PM
I am not a tax accountant so you should probably seek more expert advice. You probably have to feed them. I think you have to provide over 50% of their support, and be able to document it. They would not be able to claim themselves as exemptions on their own tax return. There are probably some offspring rules.

I will go with my gut, and the sage advice of my forum friends and leave them be. I can move the bikes to one of the other buildings for now. Maybe I'll get lucky and get some photos to share. One question though, if I don't feed them, can I still claim them as dependents? ;)

William

PS: Mr. Squirrel, if you attempt to take up residents on my property, I will most likely introduce you to my friend Mr. Mossberg. :butt: :D

Louis
03-20-2010, 12:15 AM
I agree, move the bikes and let them be.

Once the little ones are big enough to move on you can then investigate the exact location of the den and if it is indeed under the shed modify things so they can't use it any more.

I realized a while back that one of the things that makes me most happy in life is when I experience animals living in harmony with humans. The light bulb when off when I was leaving work one day. (This is in the middle of St Louis, so in a big city, right by the airport.) As I walked by a small grassy area with a few trees and bushes, between the building and the parking lot, I saw some bunnies hopping around having a grand old time. An immediate and palpable feeling of contentment came over me. Seeing them apparently doing so well in that location just made me feel so happy.

I hope the fox family will bring your family joy. :)

capybaras
03-20-2010, 07:13 AM
If they start looking scruffy give them ivermectin. :banana:

William
03-08-2011, 09:06 AM
During a very heavy rain storm last week we saw the mom and Dad bringing pups to the shed. We only saw three....but today I see there are at least five. They are just having a ball sunning themselves this morning. :)

William

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/Foxes/IMG_8174.jpg

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/Foxes/IMG_8167.jpg

goonster
03-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Awwwwwww . . .

Adorable!

robertt8883
03-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Let nature take its course relocate the Bikes and take some pictures! Give them some time to make it on there own.Animal control will put them down.

SEABREEZE
03-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Adorable untill they are old enough and come on our farm and begin killing our chickens.

Our remedy as big Bills is no moseburg, we just leave our sheperds out all night, and that problem resolves it self.

On the flip side of things, its always nice to see the circle of life in nature. Everyone has there place and purpose in the wild.

Bill I hate to tell you this, but it looks like you will have this family as part of your extended family for years to come. Just put a sign out that they owe you back rent.

Great for your kids to see, they will talk about this experience, and tell the story to there children...

rickbb
03-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Terrific photos!
I'm as pleased with the compassionate advice you're getting as with the story and photos.

phcollard
03-08-2011, 04:34 PM

Don't feed them.

Exactly. Please don't kill.

Two years ago we had a whole family of foxes staying at the Montreal Botanical Garden. You can imagine how many people visit this place every day. But still encounters with the foxes were very scarce and there has never been any incident of any kind.

HenryA
03-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Foxes are really fun to watch. I had a family across the street from my house a couple of years ago.

Be very cautious with your kids though. If they are bitten or scratched it'll be time for rabies shots and that's nothing to play with. So be sure the kids are safe.

phcollard
03-08-2011, 04:37 PM
During a very heavy rain storm last week we saw the mom and Dad bringing pups to the shed. We only saw three....but today I see there are at least five. They are just having a ball sunning themselves this morning. :)

William

That's very cool! I had not seen the pictures! If they are not dangerous and don't harm you I would leave them live their foxy live. I think you kids will thank you for a long time for these new neighbours.

coylifut
03-08-2011, 04:39 PM
hey William

I remember your yard and the outbuildings well. what a great rurual scene you have going. as long as they don't eat Kettlecorn, they can stay.

Kirk007
03-08-2011, 04:44 PM
I understand that the kits will move on when they mature but why would the vixen leave a perfectly good den?

nothing wrong with having a vixen in the neighborhood... :cool:

William
03-09-2011, 07:37 AM
We are steering clear of the shed and keeping yard tools and such in other buildings. They are more then welcome to stay and have fun....just as long as they DON"T TOUCH MY KETTLECORN!!!!! ;) :D

William

PS: One of them is getting brave.....

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h420/SodaFuel/Foxes/IMG_8182.jpg

William
03-09-2011, 08:17 AM
Scratch that...confirmed six pups, not five. They are romping in the sun again this morning.

William

Karin Kirk
03-09-2011, 08:51 AM
William, thanks for sharing these adorable pictures, and the updates are nice too. They are so cute! Keep us posted!

rice rocket
03-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Get them a trampoline!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8xJtH6UcQY

BumbleBeeDave
03-09-2011, 09:28 AM
. . . to attend the Ramble! Get a gander at those Rhode Island Foxes for all us Wild and Crazy Guys! :p

BBD

William
04-06-2011, 09:53 AM
An update of the Fox family...

The family has moved on, unfortunately they left behind one of the little sisters. When I spotted her I approached and initially thought she was dead. But then she moved a little and then settled back down again. She definitely wasn't doing well. I got on the phone with the Wildlife Rehabilitators Association of Rhode Island and was put in touch with Dr. Chan who immediately dropped what she was doing and drove up from Narragansett to see if she could help the little one. Foxes being a rabies vector, she wanted to be sure we had not touched the Fox and asked me to put a container over the little girl until she could get there. When she arrived she removed the container and picked up the pup (who started to move a little bit) an commented that she was undernourished for her age and was lethargic due to being cold. The Dr. pulled a syringe from under her shirt that she was keeping warm to inject a warm water/glucose solution and the pup almost immediately perked up a little bit. After checking the pup over a little more she placed her in a small carrier and brought it into the house to fill up a hot water bottle for the ride home. She placed it under the towel in the carrier and put the pup next to it. She explained to us that this pup may have been the runt of the litter and may have been getting pushed aside at feeding times making her progressively weaker. She tires to help by raising the pups, teaching them to hunt, and eventually releasing them back into the woods. She wasn't sure if this little girl was going to make it but she would do her best.

She called us that night to let us know the pup was doing a little better. Unfortunately, she called us the next morning to let us know the little pup didn't make it through the night. It was sad, but we did what we could to help her out. I guess we'll see if we get more visitors next spring.

William

rice rocket
04-06-2011, 10:29 AM
:(

Poor gal.

fourflys
04-06-2011, 10:38 AM
that sucks... you did everything you could William....

Louis
04-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Sad ending for her, but four out of five isn't bad.

You guys did all you could to give her a chance. That's the way things work in the wild, and you allowed things to play out with as little interference as possible, which was the right thing to do.