PDA

View Full Version : Ligero wheels version 2 reviews?

Mr Mack
03-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Hi all-
Any collective thoughts on the new hubs / wheels? I am looking for a set of 1400g clinchers to carry my 160 #'s on my new steel frame.

All thoughts are appreciated::

Carlo

legacysti888
03-18-2010, 06:48 PM
I too am thinking of getting his new hubs when the need arises.

It's supposed to be stiff.

FWIW, I have about a dozen pairs of Troy's wheels in my stable from carbon to scandium, from tubulars to clinchers and Very happy with every single one of them.

I have a custom finished pair for my upcoming Bedford.

thwart
03-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Have a set that he built with White Industry hubs/Kinlin Niobium low profile rims/Sapim CX rays.

1425 gms w/rimstrips. I weigh 155.

Great wheels. Climb well, yet have a very forgiving ride. And of course, the hubs spin forever.

Ligero
03-18-2010, 07:10 PM
Here is a review from RBR. http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=205679

I have a custom finished pair for my upcoming Bedford.

The wheels are sitting in the corner waiting for you to heal. Has your Bedford arrived yet?

jmeloy
03-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Have a set that he built with White Industry hubs/Kinlin Niobium low profile rims/Sapim CX rays.

1425 gms w/rimstrips. I weigh 155.

Great wheels. Climb well, yet have a very forgiving ride. And of course, the hubs spin forever.
Mine from Troy are nearly identical. Ride beautifully for me at 195 lbs.

SamIAm
03-18-2010, 08:41 PM
I rode with my buddy tonight who just got a set and he loves them. Troy showed me the new hubs at NAHBS and I immediately ordered a set myself. Good stuff. Troy tells me that there is only one person out there who has more of his wheels than me. Maybe this new set will put me in first. :) I wouldn't go anywhere else for wheels, I still have the first set that I bought several years ago and they are as true as they were when I first received them and I am a good 210lb or so.

maunahaole
03-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Simon, you dont need any more stuff. Give some to me if you are getting more.

What are you healing up from? Everything ok?

legacysti888
03-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Simon, you dont need any more stuff. Give some to me if you are getting more.

What are you healing up from? Everything ok?

You are right, I do not. I still have a few bikes in boxes.

I tore my left middle tricep 2cm... still healin...

oldpotatoe
03-20-2010, 06:55 AM
Hi all-
Any collective thoughts on the new hubs / wheels? I am looking for a set of 1400g clinchers to carry my 160 #'s on my new steel frame.

All thoughts are appreciated::

Carlo

DT hubs, Velocity Aerohead rims(OC rear), 28 hole rear, 24h front. Revolution spokes front and left side rear, brass nipps. I just built this, 1440 grams.

paczki
03-20-2010, 07:37 AM
You are right, I do not. I still have a few bikes in boxes.

I tore my left middle tricep 2cm... still healin...

I'll take those blue Ligero wheels. :)

sjbraun
03-20-2010, 07:51 AM
Here's what a RBR contributor had to say about his Ligero wheels:

Ligero Version 2 Hubs/Wheels - First Impressions
I'll eventiually write a full review in the proper RBR location once I've ridden these wheels for a longer period of time (and once I reach full fitness), but I wanted to share a few first impressions:

I just received my new Ligero v2 hub-based wheelset from Troy and rode them yesterday. I'm in base training mode, so I took them on my scheduled endurance pace ride that was mostly flat with a few sharp hills and a bit of wind.

Out of the box, they were perfectly true and bearings spun smoothly. They look very cool with the same shade of matte black throughout. Troy doesn't even put his brand anywhere on the wheels (I think he should though, even in very small font).

The first thing I noticed rolling downhill out of my neighborhood was that they roll a tiny bit faster than other wheels I've used. (Recent comparables on this same bike are a current set of new DT340-Open Pro Ceramic 32x32 and recently replaced Ksyrium SL2s from 2004). I was up to a noticeably higher speed by the time I hit the first stop sign without a single pedal stroke.

These are the stiffest wheels I have personally ridden. I tried a few hard sprints and a few hard climbs up short steep hills. Acceleration is noticeably snappy, and I feel like all of my power is translated to forward motion. Laterally, they also seem immovably stiff. Of course, like all stiff wheels you feel rough spots in the pavement, but with my Conti 4000S 23c tires it's not bad.

Cornering stability and tracking are also great. I leaned them through some fast corners and they were a noticeable improvement over other wheels I've used. After the first fast corner, I thought "crit wheel". I can't wait for summer races. They're also fine in the wind with no noticeable sail effect (unlike some Zipp 404s I used to race with).

Braking is fabulous. I'm a huge fan of ceramic rims (if you lived in rainy, hilly Seattle, you might be too). These brake exactly like my OP Ceramics with Kool Stop green pads.

Freewheel ratchet sound is on the quiet side, which I like, though they're a step louder than a nearly silent Dura Ace or DT hub.

My overall impression is that these wheels just disappear under me, and this is exactly what I want. They just do their job. I'll post a long term review eventually, but wanted to share my early experience.

__________________________________________________ _______________
I've got a pair in transit, I was hoping they would have arrived yesterday, but alas, they didn't.

Here's what I have on the way:

SLW v2 hubs, front and rear, 20x24
Kinlin XR-200 front rim, with light gray ceramic coating
Kinlin XR-270 rear rim, light gray ceramic coating
CX-Ray spokes

The ceramic coating looks a bit darker than I'd hoped for, but I'll have to wait until I see them in AZ sunlight to be sure.

znfdl
03-20-2010, 09:43 AM
I cannot wait to try the version 2 wheels, as the version 1 wheels are my favorite all around use wheels.

Pete Serotta
03-20-2010, 09:47 AM
http://www.ligerowheels.com/wheels/wheels.html

sjbraun
03-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks to USPS Sat delivery, my new Ligero wheels arrived today.
They look slick and roll well. I just had time for a quick 7 mile spin so I can't really comment on how they ride.
My set uses the light front wheel option, basically a 20 hole Kinlin XR-200 front rim replaces the stock XR-270.
My digital scale read their combined weight at 1406gms including Velo-plugs.

I have a long ride planned for tomorrow, so I'll post more once I have some miles on the wheels.