PDA

View Full Version : New 9 Speed Veloche Brifters

Ralph
03-18-2010, 05:41 AM
What is the quality of these new Ergopower 9 speed shifters. They have silver levers. Been thinking about upgrading my old "beater" bike from friction to 9 speed. Ribble has them cheap. I say 9 speed because I already have old 8 and 9 speed parts to make it work except a rear hub and cassette. They have some silver Centaur 9-10 hubs cheap also. I know 10 speed makes more sense, but just want to use up old Campy parts and chains. BTW....for those who think 9 speed going away, Campy still makes new 9 veloche level parts, and several companies other than Campy makes 9 speed compatible cassettes. So I think you can get basic level 9 stuff for a long time yet.
I wouldn't put veloche on my newer bikes (snob), but why not on beater bike? Just wondering if these Brifters were basically a higher level a few years ago....I know Campy moves stuff down the line when new stuff comes out.

oldpotatoe
03-18-2010, 07:10 AM
What is the quality of these new Ergopower 9 speed shifters. They have silver levers. Been thinking about upgrading my old "beater" bike from friction to 9 speed. Ribble has them cheap. I say 9 speed because I already have old 8 and 9 speed parts to make it work except a rear hub and cassette. They have some silver Centaur 9-10 hubs cheap also. I know 10 speed makes more sense, but just want to use up old Campy parts and chains. BTW....for those who think 9 speed going away, Campy still makes new 9 veloche level parts, and several companies other than Campy makes 9 speed compatible cassettes. So I think you can get basic level 9 stuff for a long time yet.
I wouldn't put veloche on my newer bikes (snob), but why not on beater bike? Just wondering if these Brifters were basically a higher level a few years ago....I know Campy moves stuff down the line when new stuff comes out.

Through bolt runs on a bushing rather than teeny cart bearings. Otherwise the innards are the same as Chorus(Record 10s, later models had a lightened shift disc, and a fiber spring carrier). If it's a 1999 or later, it can be converted to 10s. If it's the pointy top lever(from 1998), it cannot but still a nice lever. All the things inside that may wear(shift springs) are still made. Nothing else really breaks on these except the spring carrier, still available also. Maybe the body, also still plentiful.

Cogs and chains, as you mentioned, are still plentiful. No reason to make the leap to 10s, or 11s for that matter(I'm still using everyday a 1989 C-Record group-7s freewheel, on my Waterford).