PDA

View Full Version : A record?

jpw
03-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Carnac 'Greg Lemond' road shoes (later called 'Legend' after he retired) - I bought them in 1994 and I'm still riding them as of this afternoon. Is this some kind of record? Can you beat it? Oh, and they don't smell.

David Kirk
03-17-2010, 03:44 PM
I bought a pair of Sidi MTB shoes in 1992ish and I'm about to strap them on for a cross ride. I think I may have gotten my moneys worth by now..... same as you.

dave

jpw
03-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Yes, moneys worth, I think so too. Mine cost GBP 144 in '94. I just looked at a pair of Carnac mtb shoes I'm thinking of buying, GBP 300, and not even made in France!

David Kirk
03-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Come to think of it I got my for free as part of a sponsorship deal so I really got my moneys worth.......... either that or I'm a wicked cheap bastard.

dave

dave thompson
03-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Come to think of it I got my for free as part of a sponsorship deal so I really got my moneys worth.......... either that or I'm a wicked cheap bastard.

dave
Yes. :D

Steve in SLO
03-17-2010, 06:03 PM
I have a pair of 1991-ish Sidi Techno MTBs. Pretty teal accents (remember the 90s?). Still fit great and see regular action at my cabin. I haven't even had to replace the monofilament tightening lines yet, but I have gone thru a few sets of insoles.

weisan
03-17-2010, 06:22 PM
you know what, y'all win...hands up.
http://sena2zero.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/armpit-sniffer.jpg
:D

weisan
03-17-2010, 06:23 PM
dup. post

cody.wms
03-17-2010, 08:06 PM
as long as you've retired the shorts bought in 1994, you'll be alright.

Ti Designs
03-17-2010, 09:08 PM
I've got one name for you - John Allis. On any given morning you can see John show up for the ride in the Wheat Thins jersey from when they ran that race in Harvard Square in the mid 80's or maybe his TI Raleigh jersey from the 70's. Most of his jerseys have pockets in the front - not 'cause it's some kind of retro thing, but because that's how they made 'em back then. His tights are the wool blend Pearl Izumi tights they stopped making 12 years ago. On one of the rides John brought extra gloves for the new riders who didn't have warm gloves (early morning rides in the fall start getting cold). He pulled out a pair of wool gloves, still in the package, that were from the Milk Race in England in the early 70's. Shoes? Does anyone even remember CycleBinding? He still has a pair. Today I saw him in the original Time shoes...

zmudshark
03-17-2010, 09:15 PM
I have Sidi Titanium's, cleated shoes, kangaroo leather. I bought them in the early 80's, maybe 1982. I still use them when I ride one of my classic bikes.

pbjbike
03-17-2010, 09:21 PM
I've got one name for you - John Allis. On any given morning you can see John show up for the ride in the Wheat Thins jersey from when they ran that race in Harvard Square in the mid 80's or maybe his TI Raleigh jersey from the 70's. Most of his jerseys have pockets in the front - not 'cause it's some kind of retro thing, but because that's how they made 'em back then. His tights are the wool blend Pearl Izumi tights they stopped making 12 years ago. On one of the rides John brought extra gloves for the new riders who didn't have warm gloves (early morning rides in the fall start getting cold). He pulled out a pair of wool gloves, still in the package, that were from the Milk Race in England in the early 70's. Shoes? Does anyone even remember CycleBinding? He still has a pair. Today I saw him in the original Time shoes...

Allis is one tough dude, and more people should know who he and the rest of the Raleigh boys were. Howard, Swaim, Humphreys...I used to see him on my commute from Somerville to Lincoln, and he was out there 365.

Polyglot
03-17-2010, 09:33 PM
I still have and use two sets of Adidas Eddie Merckx shoes. One bought in the 70's and the other in the early 80's.

JD Smith
03-18-2010, 01:11 AM
Carnac 'Greg Lemond' road shoes (later called 'Legend' after he retired) - I bought them in 1994 and I'm still riding them as of this afternoon. Is this some kind of record? Can you beat it? Oh, and they don't smell.

Those kangaroo leather shoes do last a long time. Carnac built them well. I have a pair of Legends bought in '99 that I still use for rain shoes, but haven't ridden them consistently for a couple years. I have three other pair of Legends, two in near new condition, and one pair that's never seen a cleat. I stocked up in a panic when all the manufacturers went thin. I figure as long as I stock up on Look style pedals and cleats, I'm set till retirement.

jpw
03-18-2010, 03:16 AM
Those kangaroo leather shoes do last a long time. Carnac built them well. I have a pair of Legends bought in '99 that I still use for rain shoes, but haven't ridden them consistently for a couple years. I have three other pair of Legends, two in near new condition, and one pair that's never seen a cleat. I stocked up in a panic when all the manufacturers went thin. I figure as long as I stock up on Look style pedals and cleats, I'm set till retirement.

Yes, kangaroo leather. Very durable. Carnac is still using it on some of their new shoe models.

retrogrouchy
03-18-2010, 09:43 PM
I have Sidi Titanium's, cleated shoes, kangaroo leather. I bought them in the early 80's, maybe 1982. I still use them when I ride one of my classic bikes.

+1, but mine are getting pretty ragged-looking now.

kestrel
03-19-2010, 05:37 AM
.............Oh, and they don't smell.

Yeah sure, that's the same thing my wife says after she farts....

Ti Designs
03-19-2010, 08:03 AM
Yeah sure, that's the same thing my wife says after she farts....

All time best post.

unless your wife happens to read this forum...

jpw
03-19-2010, 08:16 AM
...and so why would she draw attention to the deed?