PDA

View Full Version : Is human-caused climate change killing the Great Forests of the American West?

Kirk007
03-17-2010, 11:49 AM
If you live in the interior West you are probably familiar with the pine beetle issue. This article explores it. While it summarily concludes that climate change is human caused, which may of course set some folks on a shock and awe campaign of rebutal, I am posting it not for that but to highlight a very real environmental issue in the part of the world that I love the most and that seems clearly tied to climate changes regardless of the cause. Here is the link to the article.

climateprogress.org/2010/03/16/bark-beetles-human-caused-climate-change-killing-the-great-forests-of-the-american-west/

fiamme red
03-17-2010, 12:03 PM
link to article (http://climateprogress.org/2010/03/16/bark-beetles-human-caused-climate-change-killing-the-great-forests-of-the-american-west/)

OtayBW
03-17-2010, 02:08 PM
I have no doubt that the science (temp effects, etc.) they describe is real. However, nowhere in that article did I notice anything demonstrating a linkage between man and temperature change.

Having said that, I am definately NOT a man-induced global warming skeptic. It's just that this linkage is a/the key question in global warming/climate change arguments, and it's certainly relevant to the title of the article.

Kirk007
03-17-2010, 02:13 PM
However, nowhere in that article did I notice anything demonstrating a linkage between man and temperature change.

Having said that, I am definately NOT a man-induced global warming skeptic. It's just that this linkage is a/the key question in global warming/climate change arguments, and it's certainly relevant to the title of the article.

Agreed on all counts. I think the title is intentionally provocative on this point.

pbjbike
03-17-2010, 10:04 PM
The beetles are here to stay and the old pines are disappearing incredibly fast. Truly sad, as we will not see these old ones again in our lifetime. More hikes this year for sure.

Matt-H
03-18-2010, 07:47 AM
I was saddened to see the destruction while on a mountain biking vacation this past summer in Colorado. I hadn't visited in several years and the change in Summit County in particular was profound.

My wife and I, pre-kids, camped all over the Pac N.W. Having not been there since 2000, I am sure some of my favorite spots have been dramatically affected.