PDA

View Full Version : Secty. of Transportation: Bikes, YES!

DHallerman
03-17-2010, 07:42 AM
From the blog of Ray LaHood, the U.S. Secretary of Transportation:

Today, I want to announce a sea change. People across America who value bicycling should have a voice when it comes to transportation planning. This is the end of favoring motorized transportation at the expense of non-motorized.
Fast Lane: Official Blog of U.S. Secretary of Transportation (http://fastlane.dot.gov/2010/03/my-view-from-atop-the-table-at-the-national-bike-summit.html)

Has any US cabinet member ever said anything like that before?

Furthermore, as Secretary LaHood writes:

To set this approach in motion, we have formulated key recommendations for state DOTs and communities...
Not an answer to everything, but good news is still good news.

Dave, who says if we abandon the political process entirely then those who despise government will have more say which is like having a murderer as your doctor

BumbleBeeDave
03-17-2010, 08:59 AM
. . . and I really do hope he's not just pandering to a special interest group audience. Note that he WAS saying this at the national bike summit. I strongly doubt he would be giving this same speech at the national auto dealers summit.

The proof, of course, will not be in his talking the talk, but in his department's walking the walk--or not--over the next few years.

BBD

fiamme red
03-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Talk is cheap. It's different when it actually comes down to deciding what to prioritize in the budget.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/03/14/recession-put-brakes-on-miles-of-new-bike-trails.html?sid=101

Rueda Tropical
04-14-2010, 05:56 AM
Talk is cheap. It's different when it actually comes down to deciding what to prioritize in the budget.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/03/14/recession-put-brakes-on-miles-of-new-bike-trails.html?sid=101

Actually that kind of talk coming from the Secretary of Transportation (a Republican by the way) is unprecedented and when it caused a crap storm of criticism from certain congress members and manufacturers groups he stood behind the comments. You would prefer a Secretary who said bicycles and pedestrians have no place in transportation planning. Let's keep focused on keeping the car as the only viable transport and the top priority in infrastructure planning and funding?

Pointing out that there are budget cuts going on in an economic crisis has no bearing on the validity of his comments. I doubt that the president can afford to expend any political capital to turn those comments into far reaching changes against the oil and auto lobbies pushback but it's a positive start.

zap
04-14-2010, 09:06 AM
If nothing else, the publicity is good for cyclists. The more the motoring public is aware that bikes belong, the better.

Ahneida Ride
04-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Excellent as long at it detracts from the 100 Trillion Plus
National Debt. (as estimated by the Dallas fed chairman)

At the very least, it should not expand the financial nightmare. :crap:

victoryfactory
04-14-2010, 04:24 PM
If I was Emperor I would decree any major road
construction/reconsruction/paving must include a bike lane.

In Colorado, they let bikes on the interstate!

VF

gdw
04-14-2010, 04:36 PM
"In Colorado, they let bikes on the interstate!"

On SECTIONS of the interstate -

"We have been asked several times on our web site about Colorado’s regulations concerning bicycles on the Interstate highways. We don’t have chapter and verse in front of us here, as these rules were not part of the 1988 bicycle law bill. We generally understand that these are the provisions: Colorado law allows bicycles on the Interstate when there is no suitable alternate route. ‘Suitable alternate route’ was later defined to mean no paved alternate route within one mile. I-25 from Wellington north to Cheyenne permits bicycles as well as a short section nearer Fort Collins. The Interstate is clearly marked where bicycles are permitted, and they are essentially permitted where you need to use them. Don’t expect to pedal through the Eisenhower tunnel on I-70, though."

Dekonick
04-14-2010, 08:55 PM
"In Colorado, they let bikes on the interstate!"

On SECTIONS of the interstate -

"We have been asked several times on our web site about Colorado’s regulations concerning bicycles on the Interstate highways. We don’t have chapter and verse in front of us here, as these rules were not part of the 1988 bicycle law bill. We generally understand that these are the provisions: Colorado law allows bicycles on the Interstate when there is no suitable alternate route. ‘Suitable alternate route’ was later defined to mean no paved alternate route within one mile. I-25 from Wellington north to Cheyenne permits bicycles as well as a short section nearer Fort Collins. The Interstate is clearly marked where bicycles are permitted, and they are essentially permitted where you need to use them. Don’t expect to pedal through the Eisenhower tunnel on I-70, though."

And miss Loveland pass???