PDA

View Full Version : My Ellis (Long)

SamIAm
03-17-2010, 07:36 AM
My Ellis

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/2513/dsc0562tc.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/i/dsc0562tc.jpg/)

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1714/dsc0649.jpg (http://img255.imageshack.us/i/dsc0649.jpg/)

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/747/dsc0650.jpg (http://img267.imageshack.us/i/dsc0650.jpg/)

Procurement:

My wife and I attended NAHBS 2009 last February. I didn’t go with the intent to buy anything, but I will say that I was extremely impressed with Dave Wages’ work. I must have gone by his booth 10 times, minimum. Dave ended up winning best lugged frame that year. My wife took note and shortly after the show put a frame on order to be delivered in time for my Christmas present.

I must say she did a fine job keeping it a secret. She worked all the details out with the help of Curt Goodrich, who graciously assisted with sizing information. Between the three of them they nailed it. A classic lugged racer, with stainless stays (drive side polished), chromed fork with a flat fork crown, Ellis team paint scheme.

My wife, who is a stickler for communication, claims that Dave could not have been easier to work with, always returning calls and e-mails promptly. She said it was a very positive experience.

And, contrary to most of my own experience with regard to custom frame delivery, it arrived as scheduled in time for Christmas.

Fit and finish:

In a word, flawless on both accounts. Dave started with the Goodrich numbers, but he didn’t stop there. He tweaked the geometry, while maintaining the fit, to make it handle the way he felt a good race bike should based on his years of experience riding similar sized frames. His thought was that sometimes the FC just gets out there too far on larger frames if you just use the traditional 73 degree HTA and a 45 fork, so he went with a 73.5 HTA and a 40 fork.

As far as finish, it was impeccable. I went over it multiple times and was not able to find a single flaw, blemish or imperfection, not because I care about things like that, in fact I expect them, but there were none to be found. The paint was just right in the sense of being thick/wet enough, but not so as to detract at all from the perfectly filed lugs. The decals are painted on using stencils by Jason Sanchez (a very, very talented painter). This allows for complete customization of the decal colors. Even the head tube decal is painted on. The masking along the polished chain stay was surgical.

One touch that I really appreciate was the use of a 1 1/8” head tube. I am surprised more builders don’t use this as it puts the frame back in proportion when using the modern oversized top and down tube.

Build:

I just happened to have a Campy Super Record 11 build kit on hand. I had previously taken advantage of an opportunity to source these at $1500 per so I picked a few up.

I started building it up with this kit and just stopped after mounting the RD and crank. The black components just overwhelmed the understated colors on this bike. It needed some silver, but there is precious little silver to be found these days, so I used an older Campy Record 10 group, with an alloy crank. I took the decals off a silver Nitto stem. The wheels are silver DT rims with decals removed and silver campy record hubs fitted with the 25c Vittoria Corsa 320TPI’s. Bar tape is just basic black which matches the Brooks Saddle, but my goal is to get some HandleBra that matches the Ellis on the DT, burgundy maybe? Help me Ray!

Ride:

I now have about 600 miles on it and the ride is sublime, nimble, efficient and silky smooth. Sometimes I forget that I am pedaling. But I think “the ride” is best talked about in relation to my weaknesses as a bike rider. I am a decent climber and a poor descender.

On this bike, I am a pretty good climber and out of saddle efforts feel very snappy. I don’t have a good explanation as to why, but it’s there you can feel it.

My descending has improved substantially, I’m not good, but I can get there on this bike. I think slowing down the front end (more trail) really helped here. The bike tracks wonderfully and inspires the kind of confidence you need to just let it go, you can trust it because it has no bad habits, not an ounce of twitchiness in it.

The cornering took some getting used to as I have to lean it over a bit more than my other bikes, but once I made the adjustment, it feels very sure-footed.

I have often heard bikes described as disappearing under you and now I kind of get what that means and I like it.

I have many fine bikes and at this level, it’s mostly just shades of grey, but this one is bordering on black.

I tell my wife every time I ride the Ellis, I just can’t get over how good it is and how fine a wife I have for giving it to me.

Pictures to follow

MarleyMon
03-17-2010, 08:16 AM
I tell my wife every time I ride the Ellis, I just can’t get over how good it is and how fine a wife I have for giving it to me.

great story, great bike - enjoy!

rwsaunders
03-17-2010, 08:32 AM
Great story and your bike looks super with all of the shiny bits. :beer:

Ken Robb
03-17-2010, 08:33 AM
very pretty. I like the lugs a lot. Fancy but not over the top or fussy.

victoryfactory
03-17-2010, 08:36 AM
WOW
What a beauty!
I was so impressed with the Ellis bikes at NAHBS
I love that seat lug. It is very similar to the one
Serotta used on the atlanta.

This is truly one of the nicest lug jobs out there. A little
understated, but perfectly executed.

A bike like that screams "RIDE ME"

Good Luck

VF

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=16429&stc=1

Blue Jays
03-17-2010, 08:38 AM
Love the nice burgundy striping on the panels! :)
Maybe we'll see this at the next Finger Lakes Ramble.

alancw3
03-17-2010, 08:41 AM
super nice bike tastefully done. love the long point lugs. not a bad wife i may add. enjoy!!

roguedog
03-17-2010, 08:51 AM
droooll (where's the drool icon??) swoon..

i love lugs. gorgeous seat cluster. love that old and mod blend.

BumbleBeeDave
03-17-2010, 08:55 AM
. . . an incredibly nice looking bike in a very understated, classic way. enjoy!

BBD

fiamme red
03-17-2010, 08:56 AM
I took the decals off a silver Nitto stem.Looks like a good job. What grade of steel wool did you use to remove them?

Beautiful bike and very nice build.

Johny
03-17-2010, 09:06 AM
OK, you haven't told us how much it weighs? :)

Great story Rob. Many happy miles.

54ny77
03-17-2010, 09:31 AM
what size stem & bar is that, i.e., 26 or 31.8?

gorgeous bike! :beer:

SamIAm
03-17-2010, 09:32 AM
what size stem & bar is that, i.e., 26 or 31.8?

gorgeous bike! :beer:

26, and thanks!

SamIAm
03-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Looks like a good job. What grade of steel wool did you use to remove them?

Just used some goof-off.

fiamme red
03-17-2010, 10:01 AM
These look like more photos of this frame:

http://picasaweb.google.com/stevewages/091225_Robs_road_frame#5429110351513636354

pbjbike
03-17-2010, 10:10 AM
The traditional geometry proportions and level TT make it rock. Beautiful lugs and paint and excellent build choices! :beer:

Tom Byrnes
03-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Rob,

Beautiful bike!! Sydney and Dave made great choices.

Great story and photos.

Enjoy it.

Tom

AndrewS
03-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Are the stays 953, then? Or are there other stainless tube sources now?

victoryfactory
03-17-2010, 11:05 AM
The red "Ellis" on the blue downtube is really
beautiful That is a very nice looking logo, kind of
old school brit style.

VF

DreaminJohn
03-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Does your wife have a sister? :beer:

Pete Serotta
03-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Great story and wonderful looking bike..>AND yes you do have a very considerate and bike loving wife... Look forward to seeing you in CA in APRIL>

PETE

MattTuck
03-17-2010, 11:20 AM
great wife, great bike.

With this recent bumper crop of bikes showing up on here, I'm getting very excited for my own custom.

I think I need a cooling off period, like gun shops have for handguns, before I do something crazy like order a bunch of bikes!

RudAwkning
03-17-2010, 11:29 AM
Beautiful. You probably ran into me at the Indy NAHBS as I was hanging out with Dave for most of the show.

I actually just got the e-mail from Mr. Wages telling me that "My time has come!".

Waldo
03-17-2010, 11:35 AM
What a great, great bike. It looks like it should float rather than ride. Congratulations and enjoy many happy miles on it. One suggestion, if I may, complement the stem and cranks with an aluminum seat post.

SamIAm
03-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Are the stays 953, then? Or are there other stainless tube sources now?

Stays are 953.

SamIAm
03-17-2010, 11:43 AM
What a great, great bike. It looks like it should float rather than ride. Congratulations and enjoy many happy miles on it. One suggestion, if I may, complement the stem and cranks with an aluminum seat post.

You are right on with the aluminum seat post, but the record carbon was what I had on hand and I needed to get this baby on the road. I will keep my eyes open for the right one. At least I got the record post with the alloy head. :)

SamIAm
03-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Rob,

Beautiful bike!! Sydney and Dave made great choices.

Great story and photos.

Enjoy it.

Tom

Great story and wonderful looking bike..>AND yes you do have a very considerate and bike loving wife... Look forward to seeing you in CA in APRIL>

PETE

Thanks guys, I just bought my airline tickets for CA, so we are committed now. See you there.

palincss
03-17-2010, 11:53 AM
You are right on with the aluminum seat post, but the record carbon was what I had on hand and I needed to get this baby on the road. I will keep my eyes open for the right one. At least I got the record post with the alloy head. :)

My candidate for "the right one": http://www.velo-orange.com/nisse.html

Waldo
03-17-2010, 11:56 AM

A bunch of nice Nitto posts on eBay
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1311&_nkw=nitto+seatpost&_sacat=See-All-Categories

armagh
03-17-2010, 11:58 AM
WOW
What a beauty!
I was so impressed with the Ellis bikes at NAHBS
I love that seat lug. It is very similar to the one
Serotta used on the atlanta.

This is truly one of the nicest lug jobs out there. A little
understated, but perfectly executed.

A bike like that screams "RIDE ME"

Good Luck

VF

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=16429&stc=1

Just took delivery of an Ellis with that seat lug. Dave said he stayed away from using them for a while but is using them on some builds these days. I'll get some pics up after this weekend.

veggieburger
03-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Wow. Beautiful. I really REALLY like the fork too - looks very sharp.

Ahneida Ride
03-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Dave's work is impeccable! ;)

rnhood
03-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Really nice looking bike. One of the nicest I've seen. It reeks of craftsmanship.

Dave Wages
03-17-2010, 06:51 PM
I'll jump in here and say, building a bike as a Christmas surprise was pretty nerve-racking. What if he doesn't like the color, or the braze ons?... I was more concerned with this on Christmas morning than any present I might have gotten.

I'm so glad it turned out the way you like it. Have to give a big thanks to your lovely wife, Thanks!, and Curt Goodrich for consulting on geometry.

It was a pleasure seeing you guys again in Richmond! :D

Cheers,
Dave

steelrider
03-17-2010, 07:29 PM
That bike is fantastic. Truly awesome. Take your time and find a Campy Ti seatpost; the look will then be complete.

93legendti
03-17-2010, 07:30 PM
That's a stunner. One of my favorite paint schemes. Congrats. Kudos to your wife!

Erik.Lazdins
03-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Very elegant bike and proper build - thanks for the post and story. Regret not running into you in Richmond - one day is not enough, maybe next year.

Congratulations ! :beer:

Erik

Tony Edwards
03-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Congrats on a stunning bike. Looks to be just my size!

Pete Serotta
03-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Please join in the forum more often...THANKS

I'll jump in here and say, building a bike as a Christmas surprise was pretty nerve-racking. What if he doesn't like the color, or the braze ons?... I was more concerned with this on Christmas morning than any present I might have gotten.

I'm so glad it turned out the way you like it. Have to give a big thanks to your lovely wife, Thanks!, and Curt Goodrich for consulting on geometry.

It was a pleasure seeing you guys again in Richmond! :D

Cheers,
Dave

rphetteplace
03-19-2010, 11:36 AM
love the bike.

If you ever need me to go shake Dave awake for you let me know he's just up the road. :)

Songline
03-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Congrats! That's a really great story - thanks for sharing.

AngryScientist
03-20-2010, 08:39 PM
love this bike!!

Climb01742
03-21-2010, 05:50 AM
samiam, every single part of that bike is in perfect harmony and balance. in the dictionary, beside the word "proper", your first photo should appear. but even better than its appearance is how much you dig it. enjoy.

SamIAm
03-22-2010, 05:58 AM
samiam, every single part of that bike is in perfect harmony and balance. in the dictionary, beside the word "proper", your first photo should appear. but even better than its appearance is how much you dig it. enjoy.

Wos, such a nice comment, thank you very much. And thanks to all for the kind words.