PDA

View Full Version : Money Woes. Sell my HSG?

docmaduff
03-17-2010, 05:03 AM
Hey Serotta fans, I'm thinking of selling my 2007 HSG Carbon. The business credit card balance has gotten way up there and I'm thinking the responsible thing to do would be to sell. I raved about the bike when I first posted it a couple years ago: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=43772
I still have a 16 year old Legend Ti which I love riding and keeps me in the camp. I'm thinking I could get $2500-$3k out of the frame and race something like a CAAD 9 for now. Am I crazy? Will I regret the decision for many years to come? I appreciate your opinions.

r_mutt
03-17-2010, 05:22 AM
don't feel bad. you can always get another one, or even something else you've always wanted to try when things are better.

:beer:

CNY rider
03-17-2010, 05:24 AM
Hey Serotta fans, I'm thinking of selling my 2007 HSG Carbon. The business credit card balance has gotten way up there and I'm thinking the responsible thing to do would be to sell. I raved about the bike when I first posted it a couple years ago: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=43772
I still have a 16 year old Legend Ti which I love riding and keeps me in the camp. I'm thinking I could get $2500-$3k out of the frame and race something like a CAAD 9 for now. Am I crazy? Will I regret the decision for many years to come? I appreciate your opinions.

I doubt that you will get that much for it, but that's really beside the point. Flip through some recent classifieds sales and you will get a better idea what it will fetch.
Ideally you wouldn't have bought it in the first place, because selling bikes generally means taking a bath financially. But it's just a thing, and if you need the money to feed yourself and keep a roof over your head, then by all means unload it. You can always replace it with another thing if times get better.

djg
03-17-2010, 06:52 AM
Terrific bike but, although a new one would cost a bunch more, I doubt that you'd get 3k for the whole bike, let alone the frame set. There's no fixed market price for something like this, but as posted above, a little internet research here and there will give you some reference points. That doesn't mean that you cannot get lucky with a local buyer who wants exactly what you have to sell, can check it out, etc. -- there's always the post an ad and see what happens strategy. But, you know, if you are planning financial recovery, you might as well plan carefully.

I wish you luck with it.

sokyroadie
03-17-2010, 04:30 PM
I sold my HSG 07 Carbon frame (no fork) in pristine condition with less than 1k mi. for less than half of your low end price. So if you absolutely don't need the $$$ I would keep it if you like it.

Jeff

93legendti
03-17-2010, 06:39 PM
I've been selling. Now is a good time to sell. I think next year the buyers will be fewer and the prices you can get will be lower.

Blue Jays
03-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Can you explore lowering current costs first? Loss of a favorite bicycle will cause heartache for limited increase in liquidity.
Maybe fewer dinners out, discard landline telephone service, cheaper vacation destinations, etc., etc.?
A friend sold a pristine motorcycle years ago to purchase a new refrigerator and now his wife frowns upon the idea of a new scoot...despite the fact they're very flush with cash.
He kicks himself over that one. Very nice bike!

Cinci Jim
03-17-2010, 09:54 PM
I sold my HSG 07 Carbon frame (no fork) in pristine condition with less than 1k mi. for less than half of your low end price. So if you absolutely don't need the $$$ I would keep it if you like it.

Jeff

Jeff you beat me to this post!

It was pristine and at half the low end. Sorry to be the party pooper - But it is a great frame. Thanks again Jeff

pbjbike
03-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Sell the Legend. Easier to replace when you are ready. JMO

John M
03-17-2010, 10:20 PM
If you do follow pbjs advice and sell the legend ti, I bet you would get no more than $500-600 for a 16 y/o frameset.

If you do want to sell, this is the best time of year to sell since it is the start of the season.

pbjbike
03-17-2010, 10:22 PM
I was thinking complete bike. As John said, the used Ti market is pretty soft. One sweet ride is enough, though that doesn't stop most of us from owning a couple, or more. ;)

djg
03-18-2010, 05:12 AM
I was thinking complete bike. As John said, the used Ti market is pretty soft. One sweet ride is enough, though that doesn't stop most of us from owning a couple, or more. ;)

That's right -- there might be all sorts of utility derived from a second bike, but the great big change comes when you move from zero to one.

Look at your options with a bit of care and make your best call. Even the best designed and built bike . . . well, they'll make more.

jpw
03-18-2010, 05:15 AM
Lease it.

learlove
03-18-2010, 07:58 PM
say you sell the HSG frame for $1800 (about the most I think you'll get in this market). You still have to go out and buy a caad9 to replace it. $800 for the caad plus $100 or so for the bb30 sleeve and labor now you've only netted $900 from your HSG sale, not to mention ebay type costs.

Does 900 even make a dent in what you owe?

RkyMtn
03-18-2010, 09:15 PM
You need the money now, so sell the frame. You can get another in the future, and it will likely be better than your current one.

Things come, things go, and new things come....... You will be happy when you can let go of your attachment to things. You are no more or less of who you are with or without an HSG. You have another bike you enjoy riding, so you are doing great!

Cheers,

Eric

docmaduff
03-22-2010, 09:03 AM
say you sell the HSG frame for $1800 (about the most I think you'll get in this market). You still have to go out and buy a caad9 to replace it. $800 for the caad plus $100 or so for the bb30 sleeve and labor now you've only netted $900 from your HSG sale, not to mention ebay type costs.

Does 900 even make a dent in what you owe?

Thanks for the replies all! learlove said it best when he broke it down. Parting with such an amazing bike to gain $1000 or less is not worth it. That small a dent wouldn't justify the effort not to mention the regret. There are always other ways to make a little more money but giving up the key vehicle of our addiction (that is a healthy addiction) is not a viable option.

Thanks again!