PDA

View Full Version : what is a good hand held pump

stickville
03-15-2010, 03:02 PM
I have not signed on to Co2 yet, what is a good pump for your pocket?

mike p
03-15-2010, 03:19 PM
There is no such thing IMHO! Most frame pumps just make the cut. If you have to have something to fit the back pocket go with co2.

Mike

veloduffer
03-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Lots of good reviews on the Lezyne Pressure drive (comes in small at 8" and medium 9"), which has a hose to connect to the valve and stores inside the pump. I haven't put mine into action on the road but it works well in the garage, thus far. You can get to 100psi without too much effort.

Likes2ridefar
03-15-2010, 03:26 PM
2nd the lezyne, but frame pumps are way easier. Road morph is my favorite larger pump.

Blue Jays
03-15-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm finished with relying upon chintzy CO2 inflators that can bite the dust without warning.
My small 82-gram Lezyne Pressure Carbon Drive (http://www.lezyne.com/index.php/products/hand-pumps/pressure-carbon-drive.html) sure is effective.
The protected hose is the bee's knees and the screw-in head ensures solid engagement.

jlwdm
03-15-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm finished with relying upon chintzy CO2 inflators that can bite the dust without warning...

Don't buy the chintzy ones.

Jeff

Blue Jays
03-15-2010, 03:51 PM
"...Don't buy the chintzy ones..."LOL! No worries, I've got good taste in equipment and accessories. :)

MassBiker
03-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Works for me!

Topeak Pocket Rocket Master Blaster DX
:beer:

monkeypants
03-15-2010, 04:29 PM
I like the Road Morph G. It's smaller than a frame pump but not quite a pump that'll fit in your pocket.

MattTuck
03-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Wow, 2 threads on pumps. I just use CO2, but I have a stupid question that is pump related.

Do frame pumps come in different sizes? As I understand (I could be wrong) the pump seats between the seat tube and the headtube with some sort of tension to hold it there. Since top tubes come in different sizes, I'm curious how you make sure a pump will fit... Sorry, really dumb question I know.

palincss
03-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Do frame pumps come in different sizes? As I understand (I could be wrong) the pump seats between the seat tube and the headtube with some sort of tension to hold it there. Since top tubes come in different sizes, I'm curious how you make sure a pump will fit... Sorry, really dumb question I know.

The Zefal HPX came in 4 sizes, numbered 1-4. Silca Imperos came in sizes, too. Not sure about the other brands.

bironi
03-15-2010, 05:40 PM
The Zefal HPX came in 4 sizes, numbered 1-4. Silca Imperos came in sizes, too. Not sure about the other brands.

I still use the Zefal HPX in winter for reliability. I refer to it as an grownup pump, rather than the baby pumps that are almost useless. I've heard that the newer Zefal pump is not as reliable.

jbrainin
03-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Topeak RoadMorph or RoadMorph mini both work wonders. I've used both to save the butt of people who suffered CO2 malfunction.

93legendti
03-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Are there any good frame pumps (or smaller) with gauges?

sjbraun
03-15-2010, 10:03 PM
have the option of replacing the standard hose with one that contains a pressure gauge. I can't speak from experience on this, just second hand internet knowledge.

http://www.lezyne.com/index.php/products/hand-pumps/pen-gauge.html

palincss
03-16-2010, 05:19 AM
Are there any good frame pumps (or smaller) with gauges?

The Road Morph has a gauge.

salvatore
03-16-2010, 05:38 AM
Lezyne makes several pumps, and they are all tremendous. When you compare them to CO2, IMO they win every time.

1. Reusable! You can pump up your tire, your neighbor's tire, no worries if you start to inflate then realize the tube wasn't seated properly (Oh no, I just wasted all that CO2!), or if you get two flats.

2. Weight. I used to carry two cartridges to be safe, and when you weigh even the lightest nozzle with two cartridges, the Lezyne pumps are actually lighter.

I only wish I had made the transition sooner. I've put the Lezyne to the test and every time they've passed with flying colors. You can either attach them to your H2O cage, or just throw them in your pocket. Great stuff.

paczki
03-16-2010, 05:58 AM
Lezyne makes several pumps, and they are all tremendous. When you compare them to CO2, IMO they win every time.

1. Reusable! You can pump up your tire, your neighbor's tire, no worries if you start to inflate then realize the tube wasn't seated properly (Oh no, I just wasted all that CO2!), or if you get two flats.

2. Weight. I used to carry two cartridges to be safe, and when you weigh even the lightest nozzle with two cartridges, the Lezyne pumps are actually lighter.

I only wish I had made the transition sooner. I've put the Lezyne to the test and every time they've passed with flying colors. You can either attach them to your H2O cage, or just throw them in your pocket. Great stuff.

+1 The Lezyne is just a superior product. I say this as someone who had two tube stems break off on a Texas highway roadside in the rain with another pump before I got a Lezyne.

RPS
03-16-2010, 01:27 PM
+1 The Lezyne is just a superior product. I say this as someone who had two tube stems break off on a Texas highway roadside in the rain with another pump before I got a Lezyne.
Did you go with a high-pressure (120 PSI) or a high-volume (90 PSI) model?

Also, how much effort does it take to remove the hose and attach it for use, then stow it back inside the pump? Seems like a nice feature if not too much trouble.

veloduffer
03-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Did you go with a high-pressure (120 PSI) or a high-volume (90 PSI) model?

Also, how much effort does it take to remove the hose and attach it for use, then stow it back inside the pump? Seems like a nice feature if not too much trouble.

It's very simple and almost no effort to unscrew the hose from the valve and from the pump to store it.

I have the high pressure- the high volume is probably aimed at mtb tires more so.

climbgdh
03-16-2010, 01:57 PM
+1 for the Lezyne. I have the high pressure one. Great pump. To attach the hose takes about 10 seconds...... unscrew hose from inside the pump flip it over and thread back into pump body..... and voila..... start to pump. No more broken stems. Just used mine the other day. Works great.

mandasol
03-16-2010, 03:07 PM
For the lezyne pump, you thread the hose onto the pump, and then thread the other end of the hose onto your presta valve, it can be done in seconds. No pulling or pushing is ever needed on the valve even while pumping, so no accidental tears or punctures at the base of the valve stem. Upgrade to the Pen Gauge Hose and you have a reasonably accurate pressure gauge built into the hose.

Here a nice video: art cyclery demo of lezyne road pump (http://www.artscyclery.com/videos/index.html?ccode=LZPENGUAGE)

salvatore
03-16-2010, 06:49 PM
The Lezyne design is so elegant, functional, and simple, it's one of those times when you have to ask yourself, "Why did it take so long for someone to make this?"

NRRider
03-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Anyone here compared the Lezyne to the Road Morph? I have two Road Morphs with the gauges, and think they are great but am always willing to try something else if it really is better. I think the Lezyne is a bit lighter....

NRRider
03-21-2010, 05:08 PM
My nephew bought the Lezyne pump; the one that's supposed to go up to ~120 psi (I believe it's the "Pressure Drive"). He tried to pump it up as hard as he could (he's not a wimpy guy). I felt the tire and it still felt kind of soft. Pulled out the Road Morph with the gauge and it read ~50 psi. Filled it with the Road Morph to ~100 psi. He's thinking about returning the Lezyne.

FWIW. Sounds like others have had great luck with the Lezyne, but for now I think I'm sticking with the (albeit twice as heavy) Road Morph, and maybe will try the Mini Morph. Obviously YMMV.

Rueda Tropical
03-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Another vote for the Lezyne. I've got the road drive. I'm about to try the pressure gauge hose. Beats the Silca frame pump it replaced.

weisan
03-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Nevermind..

retrogrouchy
03-21-2010, 08:03 PM
My wife likes her Topeak Micro Rocket CB. On a bike that is 100% non-CF, it's the only CF item (and technically it is in her jersey pocket, anyways). It has been used to fully inflate a 21 mm tubular in a pinch, and it weighs 55 grams. I bought a second one for me, but have yet to need it.

DHallerman
03-22-2010, 03:23 AM
I'm finished with relying upon chintzy CO2 inflators that can bite the dust without warning.
My small 82-gram Lezyne Pressure Carbon Drive (http://www.lezyne.com/index.php/products/hand-pumps/pressure-carbon-drive.html) sure is effective.
The protected hose is the bee's knees and the screw-in head ensures solid engagement.

I agree about the Lezyne Pressure pump, but the non-carbon one weighs only 8 grams more (either size), works equally well, and costs half the price ($40 vs. $80).