PDA

View Full Version : OT: to those in the northeast, how's your basement?

Climb01742
03-15-2010, 07:39 AM
mine has about an inch of water, with more rain today. how's yours?

William
03-15-2010, 08:12 AM
mine has about an inch of water, with more rain today. how's yours?

Surprisingly dry considering...though the dehumidifier is going like crazy. Now, the shop barn on the other hand.... :crap:

William

MerckxMad
03-15-2010, 08:19 AM
No water problems, but I lost power overnight on Saturday and spent yesterday cleaning up tree limbs from my yard. Parts of Long Island got hit pretty hard. Lots of trees down. Tried to ride yesterday, but turned around after a couple of miles.

pbbob
03-15-2010, 09:56 AM
put in a new sump pump with backup motor plus battery last october. It's been pumping for 3 days in a row now. did some other things to the walls to prevent mold and keep water out. got some alarms to notify me of wet areas still got some h2o in the bike area and a little in another room. nothing I couldn't handle. The bikes remained dry.

duke
03-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Nine inches of rain and still raining in Rye, NH. No water problems other than a couple of leaky windows when the wind was howling. Not as bad as a couple of weeks ago but still a lot of trees down and power outages. I see a lot of houses with multiple hoses coming from the cellar. It would be tough to lose the power when you are depending on a pump to keep you from sinking....
duke

torquer
03-15-2010, 01:14 PM
We got one email from someone with basement water issues here in Westchester County, but a bigger concern was with trees crashing through roofs! Three factors: residual damage from the snow storm a few weeks back; soaked ground from the snow-melt and then torrential rains Saturday, and, finally, 60 mph wind gusts.

I had a BIG tree come down 50 feet in front of my car Saturday night. This was on a pitch-black stretch of road, so I had no warning till the trunk was in my headlights. Fortunately, I was driving slower than I normally would have been on this road, given the damage I had seen elsewhere, power being out, and just dumb luck. That sucka was big enough to block all four lanes, and certainly big enough to flatten a SAAB. The long way home seemed even longer after that near-miss.

CDRB
03-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Climb,
You have company in Boxborough. 1/2" in the basement - just enough to trash the carpet. 1st water in 16 years. I've never seen it rain so hard for so long. Good luck!

Ti Designs
03-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Dry, 'cept for the riesling section of my wine collection...

rickbb
03-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Also 1/2" but at least the rain has stopped.
Riding weather tomorrow!