PDA

View Full Version : 2009 10 Speed Campy.... Which cables will work best?

danksteez
03-15-2010, 12:24 AM
The 2009 centaur stuff has the 11 speed hood shape but is still 10 speed, what are the best cables to use here? I was hoping to use some colored jagwire cables but wanted to make sure this would work first.

Thanks for the help!

oldpotatoe
03-15-2010, 06:38 AM
The 2009 centaur stuff has the 11 speed hood shape but is still 10 speed, what are the best cables to use here? I was hoping to use some colored jagwire cables but wanted to make sure this would work first.

Thanks for the help!

Jagwire are great inner wires. 4mm housing necessary also. Jagwire as well. Make sure you cut/grind/trim the shifter ends of the housing very flat and smooth.

Dave
03-15-2010, 07:49 AM
10 and 11 speed shifters, 2009+ use the same cable housings. You need either Campy 4.1mm ultra low friction housing or other 4mm housing with low friction. I had no luck with jagwire housing when I tried it, but Shimano seems to work. I always use geniune Campy cables, regardless of the housing.

Cable housing friction is much more critical with the new ultrashift ergo levers. Avoid sharp bends and be generous with the length of the housing loop at the RD. I make mine about and inch longer than the precut Campy RD housing.

Blue Jays
03-15-2010, 01:25 PM
I've typically stuck with Campagnolo on my all-Campagnolo biks yet keep my eyes open for aftermarket ideas that could improve performance / reliability.

DavidR
03-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Stick with a new set of campy cables. They are not the cheapest but they work very well. Just my thought about cables.

Dave

Dekonick
03-15-2010, 08:12 PM
I have always just used campy cables. A good friend who owned a LBS used to use jagwire and grind the ends to work, but I have found Campy works best... but it does cost a little more.

I say just stick with Campy.

Marcusaurelius
03-15-2010, 10:18 PM
I've used BBB campy brake cables and it worked fine but as a general rule I just buy the campagnolo cable and housing kit.

soulspinner
03-16-2010, 05:23 AM
Tried some other stainless cables and they are giving up before the Campy ones do. So much 4 savin a buck...

danksteez
03-16-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm more looking for the white housing look than worried about price, although I don't want to drop $60 on a cableset.

I also want good shifting and longevity, so sounds like campy cables are the way to go?

I was looking at the jagwire racer complete set as a reference.

oldpotatoe
03-17-2010, 06:51 AM
I'm more looking for the white housing look than worried about price, although I don't want to drop $60 on a cableset.

I also want good shifting and longevity, so sounds like campy cables are the way to go?

I was looking at the jagwire racer complete set as a reference.

I have used Jagwire as replacement inner wires and housing for years, on many system 'types' including Campagnolo(10s and 11s) and they work just fine. One thing that is true with retail, if it doesn't 'work' for some reason, you will hear about it....

Dekonick
03-17-2010, 07:07 PM
I have used Jagwire as replacement inner wires and housing for years, on many system 'types' including Campagnolo(10s and 11s) and they work just fine. One thing that is true with retail, if it doesn't 'work' for some reason, you will hear about it....

You do have to grind them to fit campy - but they work just fine. I just stick with Campy.

oldpotatoe
03-18-2010, 06:47 AM
You do have to grind them to fit campy - but they work just fine. I just stick with Campy.

I grind the ends of the housing flat but the 4mm housing fits into the 2009/10 levers w/o making the OD smaller. As for the der cables, I sell the Campag specific ones with smaller heads.