PDA

View Full Version : Gary V. Hobbs (GVH Bikes), 1937-2005

dbrk
03-14-2005, 09:09 PM
I am sorry to be the bearer of this news to my friends here, some of you undoubtedly have already heard that the gracious, honest, and generous of spirit Gary V. Hobbs, who for many years brought us GVH Bikes has passed. I will paste in below the obiturary on line which includes a few lines about Gary, who I will personally remember---like so many others who never met him in person---as a delightful man, utterly honest and respectful, filled with passion for cycling and always willing to help. Take care, my friends!

dbrk

Gary V. Hobbs

Dec. 2, 1937 - March 2, 2005

At his request, no public services will be held for Gary V. Hobbs, 67, of Coos Bay.

He was born Dec. 2, 1937, in Huntington, W.Va. He died after a long struggle with leukemia on March 2, 2005, in Coos Bay.

After owning a chain of shoe stores on the East Coast, he retired and soon began a second career. Gary was an avid bicyclist and he was able to turn his passion into a successful mail-order custom bicycle business that shipped bicycles to many parts of the world.

He is survived by his wife, Marcia of Coos Bay; son, Brent and his wife, Leslie of Raleigh, N.C.; daughter, Melanie Brehl and her husband, Arthur of High Point, N.C.; daughter, Felicia Hobbs and her husband, Edward Kazakavich of San Fransisco; daughter-in-law, Lupe Cajaraville Hobbs of Jackson Height, N.Y.; and six grandchildren, Christine Hobbs, Amelia Hobbs, Ian Hobbs, Leland Brehl, Josie Brehl and Heath Brehl.

He was preceded in death by his son, Gary Scott Hobbs.

Sign the guestbook at http://www.theworldlink.com.
Published in The World from 3/8/2005 - 3/9/2005.

Guest*Book • Flowers • Gift Shop • Charities

Sandy
03-14-2005, 10:12 PM
"...a delightful man, utterly honest and respectful, filled with passion for cycling and always willing to help".. is a wonderful way to be remembered, for anyone.

Sandy

Smiley
03-15-2005, 07:33 AM
May he rest in peace .

Big Dan
03-15-2005, 07:53 AM
Great man and a great loss for the cycling community...

I remember years ago before the internet the only way to get a quality bicycle was the LBS. If for some reason they didn't have the selection that you wanted you could pick your Velonews, look at the classifieds and see an ad for road bikes, yes road bikes only.....You will call and Gary will fax you a list of frames he had available. You call back ask him about colors and he would send you pictures in the mail...sounds amazing today, but it worked...
And the rest is history..........

Climb01742
03-15-2005, 08:32 AM
there's an idea called finding your "right occupation". finding a job that perfectly and naturally expresses who you are and what you believe in. seems like gary found his.

e-RICHIE
03-15-2005, 08:35 AM
"there's an idea called finding your 'right occupation'."

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0316845221/103-1441353-0539867

BumbleBeeDave
03-15-2005, 08:38 AM
I never met him, talked with him, or did business with him, but if you liked him, then he MUST have been a great guy.

Rest In Peace . . . or, even better, I hope he gets to ride as much as he wants in heaven and everyone gets an Ottrott.

BBDave

slowgoing
03-15-2005, 10:21 AM
I placed a handful of orders with Gary, the last about six weeks ago. He was always as nice and personable as can be. He mentioned that he used to live not far from where I live now, and several times we talked about getting together the next time he was back in town on vacation. Unfortunately, it never happened. He didn’t just sell bikes, he also rode them, going on cycling vacations the descriptions of which still make me envious. We were lucky to have him.

Keith A
03-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Here's a good way to see what sort of man Gary was -- here is his Guarantee that is posted on his website....

"You get more than just selection and value when you buy from GVH Bikes; you also get my guarantee you will be 100% satisfied. Upon receipt of your purchase inspect it very carefully. If it isn't exactly as you visualized or everything you expected just ship it back...no questions asked! I will promptly return your merchandise purchase price. If a problem occurs with any bicycle or component after it is used contact me at once; each problem will be rectified on a case-by-case basis. Buyer satisfaction is my most important goal."

It's too bad there aren't more Gary V Hobbs in this world!

LegendRider
03-16-2005, 03:08 PM
First I would like to thank everyone who posted, emailed, or just thought well wishes for Gary and his family. Their son and daughter are here visiting and everyone is doing well. They are impressed by what a unique community this cycling world really is. It is rare for people to truly care about somone they have merely done business with. We thank you.

And for anyone who is interesed, I will be continuing Gary's good work. We are currently looking at our funding options and the legal status of the company, but GVH Bikes will go on serving the cycling community with the same standards Gary always followed. I've been working with him for the last 3+ years and would hate for it to end.

Thanks,
Tom

Keith A
03-16-2005, 03:14 PM
Hi Tom,

You might want to update the opening statement on the home page of www.gvhbikes.com. It seems like it might be more appropriate for a message to be posted about his death, instead of his illness.

I'm also glad to hear that his work will continue on. Best of wishes as you move forward in this endeavor without your friend Gary.

LegendRider
03-16-2005, 03:17 PM
Sorry - I wasn't clear - I was just posting that message from RoadBikeReview's forum. I'm not Tom.

Keith A
03-16-2005, 03:52 PM
Oops...Since this was written in first person with no other references, I assumed you were "Tom". Thanks for posting the info.