PDA

View Full Version : Shorts with wide chamois?

BarryG
03-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Would appreciate recommendations for high quality shorts featuring a well functioning padded chamois that is generously wide. My sit bones landed on the seam/edge of every formed chamois I tried in my last go-around 2 years ago. I ended up using Nalini which is nice and wide but the padding is a bit low density and would definitely like to try something new.

(anybody try the Smartwool Rambition short?)

Thanks,
Barry

Ken Robb
03-14-2010, 11:17 AM
I have some Performance Bike label shorts that have a wider chamois.

ahumblecycler
03-14-2010, 11:47 AM
@Barry - which Nalini? The company uses at least two different chamois models? I understand the blue one is quite nice.

I believe Assos' chamois is wider, and the Uno would be the one I recommend from experience.

Castelli has a wider chamois, but I question the quality (since you put that in your description).

De Soto's 400-mile bib short utilizes what looks on paper to be a wide and dense chamois. The price is not too bad, and the company allows returns if not satisified.

It sounds like you do not get along with tiered chamois models, which leads me to recommend avoiding the following: Capo, Sugoi, PI, De Marci, and probably others.

Hope this helps.

In a few days, I will be able to comment on Santini bib shorts ...

BarryG
03-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the responses. AHC - I've been using the base (cheap) Nalini because that's all my last search turned up. Correct, I had issues with all the sculpted (tiered) chamois' that I tried and one of my questions now is whether any of the current crop of sculpted chamois are a bit wider under the sit bone area. Alternative would be a flatter chamois with a bit denser padding than the Nalini.

I'm really looking for recommendations from guys riding the specific short - i.e., wider chamois shorts that are working well for yous.

rwsaunders
03-14-2010, 12:16 PM
I think that Boure might do a custom for you, in terms of chamois and overall fit. I like the traditional chamois of the entry level Nalini's, but the padding is thin. I also had them on in the rain today with a set of knee warmers, and the fabric is definitely not for cooler temps.

BarryG
03-15-2010, 10:06 AM
De Soto's 400-mile bib short utilizes what looks on paper to be a wide and dense chamois.
De Soto has indicated the padded region has a width of 6-3/8 inches so unfortunately it's not very wide. I'm hoping to find shorts where the maximally padded area under the sit-bones is 7inches across or wider.

jasond
03-15-2010, 10:44 AM
De Soto has indicated the padded region has a width of 6-3/8 inches so unfortunately it's not very wide. I'm hoping to find shorts where the maximally padded area under the sit-bones is 7inches across or wider.

How wide is your seat? 6 3/8 is wider than most seats.

Ken Robb
03-15-2010, 10:54 AM
[QUOTE=jasond]How wide is your seat? 6 3/8 is wider than most seats.[/QUOTe

I think a chamois would have to be wider than the saddle because some fabric gets shoved "up there" when you ride so the efeective width is reduced. :)

ahumblecycler
03-15-2010, 11:00 AM
I will measure my Santini's tomorrow and get back to you.

In the mean time, I suggest you looking at this site, identify possible wide chamois models, and then find the company that uses it.

http://www.elasticinterface.com/index.html

ahumblecycler
03-20-2010, 07:05 PM
My Santini bib shorts (Genesis One) chamois measured at the widest point came in at 6.1 inches. Sorry bud.

false_Aest
03-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Gore 2nd from top of the line.

Ozon I believe.

wasfast
03-21-2010, 07:12 AM
I measured my Assos Uno S5's, size large. All dimensions mentioned next are unstretched. The chamois and material are very stretchy so I think you'd do fine the the shorts:

Maximum overall width: 8"
Maximum width at the sits bone area: 6 1/4"

I have very wide sits bones (a 155mm wide saddle is a good fit).

You may want to try DeMarchi or Capo shorts as they use EIT pads which I find to be a good fit and padding level.