PDA

View Full Version : Pactour week 3 southern AZ

eddief
03-14-2010, 08:49 AM
pretty damn cold, with winds shifting directions and speed throughout 5 of the 6 days. Last day was sunny, warm, calmer and a fine cruise back to Tucson. This was the coldest week 3 in ten years. Wind, I guess, not so unusual. But this sort of cold, including some snow at higher elevations, was challenging. Pactour did a fantastic job of organizing and logistics.

http://www.pactour.com/

I became very fond of my Showers Pass Elite 2.0 jacket...on top of quite a few other light layers. Nice thing it really is comfy enough to use as a general wind breaker and then you can open it so many ways to ventilate or close it down to keep in the heat...and really comfy tall collar.

Other indispensable was Descente under helmet cap with ear flaps. Light breatheable, warm.

Not to miss:

Karchner Caverns. Truly one of the most spectacular sites I have ever seen in my almost 60 years. A mind blowing, pristine gigantic perfectly preserved cave system near Benson, AZ. AZ state parks has done their job really well.

Bisbee, AZ. While it was f-ing cold there, the town is a treasure in the mountains. Sorta touristy, but unique and hospitable.

Bicycle Brothel. Ken Wallace, a character, and an amazing collection of bikes...all in a size that seem to fit him. He loves the Pegoretti. He can hold a candle to Douglas Brooks.

"a cold, wet, windy day in the desert."
"Bisbee"

Ray
03-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Bisbee, AZ. While it was f-ing cold there, the town is a treasure in the mountains. Sorta touristy, but unique and hospitable.
Just make sure you don't fall in that damn hole!

I grew up in Tucson and still have a lot of old friends there. One of these years, I'm gonna find a cheap place for a couple of months and spend the middle of January through the middle of March there. I didn't ride when I lived here except the typical little kid stuff. I'd like to get to know it again from the seat of a bike.

-Ray

skijoring
03-14-2010, 12:42 PM
PacTours are no joke...I am impressed eddief. :beer:

eddief
03-14-2010, 01:32 PM
sort of oriented around bike friday owners. average daily miles were 35-60. i was not in shape to do any more...especially under those conditions. but there were riders at all levels...from monster to weenie.

the other 5 weeks of camp have much longer miles and go all over S. AZ.

eddief
03-14-2010, 06:16 PM
wind gusts in the face of 25 mph.

the mid torso padding is for aerodymamic purposes only.

snow on mountains. that day was short sleeve smart wool, long sleeve smart wool, winter jersey, nylon vest, nylon jacket, medium weight gloves.

rwsaunders
03-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Nice post, Eddie. Is that a Moulton that you're pedaling?

eddief
03-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Week 3 of camp is somewhat focused for BF riders. Although there were bikes of all sorts including 3 long wheel base recumbents from Easy Racers. My BF, while having somewhat different angles, has contact points dialed in almost exactly the same as my other road bikes. It is geared with normal triple road crank and Capreo hub and cassette at 9-26 cogs. Geared to nearly standard road triple performance. Fits into off the shelf Samsonite suit case and no stories of being charged for oversize luggage...even though the case is a bit oversized.