PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Drinks, anyone?

Rapid Tourist
03-14-2005, 06:40 PM
I tried a new recovery drink recently--Ultragen. Wow, it helped me tremendously in feeling "recovered" and ready to ride more on the day after a long ride. :beer:

Do other forumites use other recovery drinks for use after a long ride? Recommendations?? Thanks.

dave thompson
03-14-2005, 06:50 PM
I've been using Endurox for several years and like what it seems to do for me.

gasman
03-14-2005, 08:14 PM
See the thread on recovery from early last week.
I tried low fat chocolate milk (per a reccomendation) as soon as I walked in the door after riding a hilly 99.61 miles yesterday. It seems to have really helped. I've used Endurox in the past but it is expensive in my mind and the fellow who helped invent Endurox says choclate milk is great also. I second the opinion but will let you know more in the future.

Sandy
03-14-2005, 10:17 PM
You couldn't do the other .39 miles of the ride?? You should have drunk low fat chocolate milk yesterday, not today. :) :)

Sandy

Sandy
03-14-2005, 10:21 PM
You must be onto something with the Utragen. Kevan drank some of it yesterday after a long 2 mile ride. It did wonders for him. He did a 1 1/2 mile ride today. :)

Sandy

shinomaster
03-14-2005, 10:57 PM
Beer seems to work really well for me.

oracle
03-14-2005, 11:00 PM
the best recovery "drink" is the increase of one's LT.

weisan
03-14-2005, 11:25 PM
the best recovery "drink" is the increase of one's LT.

Oracle is true to his words. I learned the lesson the hard way just this past Saturday doing a high-intensity ride without enough LT work and preparation. I managed to stay on, but I paid the price. Multiple cramps...and now, a week burned to recover.

William
03-15-2005, 05:39 AM
What's the drunks recovery drink of choice?

I like Odwalla Superfood. Lean, mean, & green. :cool:

Superfood™:
Superfood is a delicious way to get the green you need: fresh fruit combined with the earth’s most potent power foods. It’s a tasty blend of apple, peach, mango, banana and strawberry combined with micronutrients like spirulina and chlorella and powerful green foods like wheat and barley grasses and sea vegetables....and (sorry BBDave) Bee pollen.

William

Dr. Doofus
03-15-2005, 07:07 AM
ok..about eight years ago when the doofus was getting people to pay him to make out their training schedules, he advised this cheap and effective post-ride treat:

1 cup nonfat yogurt
1 :banana:
1 tbsp chocolate syrup (or more if yerdigginthesugar)
1 tbsp peanut butter (or less if yer freakinout about fat)

put in blender
drink
enjoy

gives approx 20g pro, 100g cho, 10g fat...and is jerk approved real food not bike food

Andreu
03-15-2005, 07:20 AM
SIS Rego.
You don't even have to eat have to this stuff.....
http://www.scienceinsport.com/rego1.html

Too Tall
03-15-2005, 07:49 AM
Can I suggest back to basics approach sans strange unpronouncable asian herbs of dubious origin and quality????

For what it's worth the subject of recovery drinks for post exercise is very well published and the short story is to comsume a 3:1 or 4:1 carbohydrate/protein shortly after exercise (grams of carbo/grams of protein).

What I've recommended to folks for yrs. is a good quality whey powder such as "Whey to Go" made by Solgar or E-Caps "Hammer Pro Whey" with your favorite carbohydrate: 1 large glass of OJ or Rice Milk or 3grams of Maltodextran (get it from your home brew store) or 2 scoops Sustained Energy (e-caps) or whatever!

This is easy and you can be assured ingredients are safe AND you can adjust carbs:protein ration based on your body size and intensity.

Some of you over achievers might want the Gucci stuff? I tried the whey protein and yam flake (carbo source) from Jay Robb company and was very impressed with quality and effectiveness. Great company. Downside is that their yam flakes do not dissolve in liquid easily you need a blender...I'll live it's so good tasting and works great.

Jeff N.
03-15-2005, 08:12 AM
Seriously, beer does work for me as a recovery drink. Carbo-loading at its best. About the ride the following day though..............NAH! Jeff N.

Too Tall
03-15-2005, 09:11 AM
Andreau, don't shoot me man I'm just sticking to my guns to say we can find easy ways to have a recovery drink without artificial stuff in it. Your product (origional formula) has Aspartame and uses a less than optimal Soy protein source and for all their science I don't see Glutamine and it's alot of calories...which is not a big deal.

Andreu
03-15-2005, 09:24 AM
...aspartame is not something I favour in food.
Though, this stuff works for me, it tastes OK and it doesnt make me want to puke.
A

gasman
03-15-2005, 03:54 PM
You couldn't do the other .39 miles of the ride?? You should have drunk low fat chocolate milk yesterday, not today. :) :)

Sandy
Sandy-

I thought about it but decided it would be focusing too much on a number and not on the enjoyment of the ride.
Besides the chocolate milk was calling me home. :banana:

amper
03-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Immediately after a century I will drink a can of coke. About a half hour later I mix up my own concoctions. For a recovery drink I mix 12 oz Soy milk, 3 Scoops Carbo Fuel, 1 Scoop Whey Fuel, with a dash of cinnamon, a table spoon of instant coffee and 4oz water. A portable hand blender works great. I get 16 oz of drink which has
585 Calories, 107.5g Carbs, 25.5g Protein, and 6.7g Fat.
I consume 4oz every 15 minutes. You can tune the amounts of the mixes to get 4:1 5:1, what ever you find out works for you. They are also much cheaper than the pre made stuff

A great on bike drink is enough maltodextrin to achieve 100g of carbs flavored with a little espresso Hammer Gel. It’s a great boost for the last 20 miles.

Dekonick
03-15-2005, 05:44 PM
Beer! :beer:

seriously - apple juice watered down works wonders (and is cheap)

oracle
03-15-2005, 06:28 PM
"Immediately after a century I will drink a can of coke. About a half hour later I mix up my own concoctions. For a recovery drink I mix 12 oz Soy milk, 3 Scoops Carbo Fuel, 1 Scoop Whey Fuel, with a dash of cinnamon, a table spoon of instant coffee and 4oz water. A portable hand blender works great. I get 16 oz of drink which has
585 Calories, 107.5g Carbs, 25.5g Protein, and 6.7g Fat.
I consume 4oz every 15 minutes. You can tune the amounts of the mixes to get 4:1 5:1, what ever you find out works for you. They are also much cheaper than the pre made stuff

A great on bike drink is enough maltodextrin to achieve 100g of carbs flavored with a little espresso Hammer Gel. It’s a great boost for the last 20 miles."

what the hell are you recovering from, a double century? that blender-full of goo contains enough food for most people's dinner, or rather what should be their dinner on a normal evening.

recovery drinks are a waste of time for most people; not to mention the fact that unless one is already quit fit, one is not recovering on a day to day basis. rather, injuring and repairing one's self on a weekly basis.

oracle

amper
03-15-2005, 07:12 PM
“what the hell are you recovering from, a double century? that blender-full of goo contains enough food for most people's dinner, or rather what should be their dinner on a normal evening.”

I would hardly call soy milk, Whey powder, cinnamon, instant coffee, maltodextrin, and 4oz water goo. I weigh 148lbs and consume 200-250 calories per hour during a century. 585 Calories broken down into, 107.5g Carbs, 25.5g Protein, and 6.7g Fat an hour after a bike ride is nothing. As a type II diabetic with a HA1C of 5.6 I have excellent control, and have gone thru a lot of trial and error to find something that works. My blood monitor does not lie and years of data support it. I will go thru 585 calories in a couple of hours after a high pace century.

Amper

jerk
03-15-2005, 07:39 PM
the jerk knows that following a hard kermesse some people would make sure to stop at the 300bf house with the blue light outside of the town of boom on the n20 for a little "recovery". not that the jerk recommends that kind of thing, but this is an open forum.

jerk

Too Tall
03-16-2005, 07:01 AM
Senor' the concept is protein in....not out sir...in not out. Repeat, wait that didn't come out right. Nevermind.

Dr. Doofus
03-16-2005, 07:25 AM
doof is thinking about the non-kosher masai blend as a recovery drink. fresh whole milk and cow's blood. gonna keep a heifer in the backyard and bring it to races. then its time to see miss molly rockin at the house of blue light

tribal, man, tribal