PDA

View Full Version : New wheels

Cinci Jim
03-13-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm thinking about some new wheels -

Velocity Areoheads (OC on the back)

Sapim CX Rays

White Hubs (H2 on front & H3 on Back)

Seems like a really light set of wheels - but how strong?

dekindy
03-13-2010, 08:43 PM
I can verify that that would be a nice riding wheel set. I purchased mine used but a 20/28 spoke count was not adequate for a 200lb rider. I had the hubs rebuilt to 24/28 Deep V's. I only kept the 28-spoke hub because White Industries replaced it under warranty, pretty good since I purchased it used, but I would have went with 32-count if purchasing new. The front hub cracked and I did not even try to get it warrantied since it was obvious it was not the hubs fault, just not enough spokes. I replaced it with a 24 spoke rim at my LBS wheel builder's suggestion. I orginally selected the Fusion rim as replacement but it was not available so I went with Deep V's. They should be bombproof and ride very nicely also so I am glad that I did. Now that I have the Shimano 7850-SL they are relegated to backup status and winter night riding. When the tires wear out I will convert them to tubeless. I hope this helps. There have been some rumblings about the O/C rear rim not holding up but the experts say they are okay.

BTW, do you ever do any Indiana rides? I live in Fishers, northeast of Indianapolis, and would like to do some rides in your area but have not made it down yet. I worked at a CPA on the northwest side of Cincy, across from the mall on Colerain Avenue but did not do any riding down there since I was commuting and not riding during that time period.

oldpotatoe
03-14-2010, 07:31 AM
I'm thinking about some new wheels -

Velocity Areoheads (OC on the back)

Sapim CX Rays

White Hubs (H2 on front & H3 on Back)

Seems like a really light set of wheels - but how strong?

Depends on you and your riding style. Weight and also if you are tough on things. Unless you are pretty light in terms of weight and riding style, I would use enough spokes and use 'fatter' spokes. Almost the same weight but stronger...and cheaper. Many are really enamored with CX-Rays but a more normal spoke of say, 14/15 are just a wee bit heavier(not heavy!) but stronger, all else being equal..and much cheaper as well.

champ
03-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Jim

You have chosen great quality components but the strength of the finished wheels depends heavily on the number of spokes, cross pattern, spoke tension and the wheelbuilder's skill. If durability is a major concern then you could use CX-Rays (assuming they can be laced 3x) everywhere but the rear drive side where I would consider using the Race spokes with brass nipples. In addition, the OC rear rim helps by reducing the dish and thus allows more even tension between the drive and non-drive rear spokes which helps strength. If you want to play it safe and still have a nice light strong wheelset I would go with 32 spokes f/r, 3x using the CX-Rays and Race combo. If the CX's cant be laced 3x you could use Sapim Laser with very little loss of strength or weight gain versus Cx's.