PDA

View Full Version : Having wheel re-built...

Dekonick
03-13-2010, 06:32 PM
I have a wheel that is now starting to break spokes on a regular basis. It has been a good friend for several years, and the hub has life left - I think the tension is all out of whack and has stressed the wheel to the point I am going to have it re-built. Should I send it to Ergott or another for this or just use the LBS? I don't want to spend a fortune on this, the rim probably has 6k miles (but plenty of life left on the braking surface) and it is a silver Chorus hub.

So - if you were me:
1) have LBS fix spokes as they break... (this is getting old...)
2) have LBS re-build wheel (probably ~$120 or so including spokes, nipples, and labor)
3) send the hub out to a known craftsman and have it laced to a new rim.

My local wheel builder in no longer here... he is in Colorado...
Advice? (A good local builder in the Balt/DC area would also work)

-or-

Just retire it and go with some of the newer manufactured wheels? I personally like 32 3 cross...

rugbysecondrow
03-13-2010, 07:24 PM
I have a wheel that is now starting to break spokes on a regular basis. It has been a good friend for several years, and the hub has life left - I think the tension is all out of whack and has stressed the wheel to the point I am going to have it re-built. Should I send it to Ergott or another for this or just use the LBS? I don't want to spend a fortune on this, the rim probably has 6k miles (but plenty of life left on the braking surface) and it is a silver Chorus hub.

So - if you were me:
1) have LBS fix spokes as they break... (this is getting old...)
2) have LBS re-build wheel (probably ~$120 or so including spokes, nipples, and labor)
3) send the hub out to a known craftsman and have it laced to a new rim.

My local wheel builder in no longer here... he is in Colorado...
Advice? (A good local builder in the Balt/DC area would also work)

-or-

Just retire it and go with some of the newer manufactured wheels? I personally like 32 3 cross...

I would go with option 3 Mike.

With option 1, I would have to start carrying extra spokes when we ride and I won't hae room for as many snacks.

With option two, unless you can find a really good guy, I think you will spend the same amount as you would with Peter White or somebody else, but not have quite the product.

Ergot, White...send it off and have them lace it to a new rim, then we can get out and get some good riding in on it!

Cheers

johnnymossville
03-13-2010, 07:41 PM
both of you are locals. we have to go ride some time.

rugbysecondrow
03-13-2010, 07:48 PM
You got that right! Doesn't look like this weekend will work. :(

johnnymossville
03-13-2010, 07:54 PM
Yeah, terrible out there. Did you hear that wind last night? Yowch!

Dekonick
03-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Wind?!? I thought that was a cat in heat!

bicycletricycle
03-13-2010, 08:33 PM
plenty of local shops have good wheel builders were im from (not baltimore/DC). there has to be one in your area, the money you save on shipping can go towards nicer spokes.

Dekonick
03-13-2010, 09:38 PM
plenty of local shops have good wheel builders were im from (not baltimore/DC). there has to be one in your area, the money you save on shipping can go towards nicer spokes.

I was comparing Peter White's prices to my LBS - he is cheaper for parts. I think it will be a wash if I use him... and I will get a solid wheel.

Too bad Campy no longer makes silver hubs...

rugbysecondrow
03-13-2010, 09:40 PM
I was comparing Peter White's prices to my LBS - he is cheaper for parts. I think it will be a wash if I use him... and I will get a solid wheel.

Too bad Campy no longer makes silver hubs...

Peter White has a warranty too and he will build a stout wheel.

AndrewS
03-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Just a thought: If you believe that the tension is "out of whack", why not fix the tension?

And if it can't be fixed, why is that? Unless the rim is actually no longer straight with no tension on it, there is no force in the wheel's structure that is going to break your spokes unless the wheel was NEVER strong enough for your weight and riding style. In which case you need to come up with a different style or wheel than it currently is. Or do you have a hub/spoke combination that is causing the elbows to break? And is that going to change with a rebuild?

I'd take the tension out, see how the rim looks with zero tension, and progressively tighten the whole thing up and try riding it again. I don't know if I'd keep using your LBS because spoke replacement should have included checking the tension of spokes and stress relieving the wheel.

Peter P.
03-14-2010, 06:38 AM
I'd go with option 2.

The local shop should strip the wheel of all it's spokes and lay it on a table top just to confirm it's still flat. Any potato chip shaping of the rim might be an indication why it wouldn't hold spoke tension.

Then rebuild with all new spokes. This is not surgery or magic, so there's no need to send your hub far and wide to get that perfect wheel. I'm sure there are many local shops that could rebuild you a reliable wheel, which would keep within your restriction of not spending a fortune.

Dekonick
03-14-2010, 12:05 PM
All good advice - I think before I send it out, I am going to loosen all of the spokes, label and number them, and remove them all. It is a front wheel so it shouldn't be that hard to build - and I will give it a go myself - just for kicks. I am going to have Peter build me a replacement front wheel anyway - might even get a set depending on cost. Its killing me as I have been saving to buy a group for my mountain bike after taking a $ hit when I fractured my ankle - rehab ain't cheap. (but I am MORE than glad to pay for services rendered - Thank you to my PT!)
Riding the road is more important to me than off road... especially as spring in closing in... so the mtn group can wait.

Ill give the wheel a shot with the spokes it has - if the rim is no longer round, Ill re-cycle it and send the hub to white for a new wheel. Regardless, after much research, I am going to buy a set from him. My guess is my wheel has been abused a bit, and age has taken a toll. It was a great wheel for several k miles.