PDA

View Full Version : Klein Quantum Pro

goboyle
03-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Looking at a 1999 Klein Quantum Pro. What can you tell me about these bikes? Apparently there are some issues with an unconventional steerer tube dia., horizontal rear dropouts and internal cable routing. Any other issues to consider? Are these overly harsh riding bikes?

rnhood
03-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Very stiff and very aggressive. It struck me as a pure crit bike. The Q-Pro successor was a better model and rode well, imho. I think the Q-Pro was underrated.

pdxmech13
03-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Good race bike. Predictable handling, stiffness that is comparable to today's standards. Pretty light as a fuselage. Headset bearings wear quickly in wet climates. Other than that a very good bike if you can purchase it for a quarter of what it was new. Otherwise I'd just get something that's equivalent and new.

N.

rwsaunders
03-13-2010, 09:33 PM
My brother has ridden one for years...not a bike that you want to do an extended ride with on bad roads. Race bred for sure and very stiff. Klein is/was known for well made frames and nice paint.

jpw
03-14-2010, 03:40 AM
I had the Quantum Z model - a real bone shaker, but rapid.

Kingfisher
03-14-2010, 09:52 AM
I had the Quantum Pro back in the 90's. I loved my Klein....it was stolen when our house was broken into (8 bikes in basement and the stinking theives took my two most expensive bike!)

Raced crits on it and it was an excellent crit bike....a little too stiff for any distance. Back then it was an upgrade from the Cannondale 3.0 series and it really was a better handling and better made bike, but the new Cannondales (I ride/race on a Caad 9) are a step above the quantum pro.

zap
03-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Kleins Quantum Pro is a pretty awesome bike. HS should not be a problem as parts are available, rear dropouts are easy to use and the internal routing is not a problem as long as the un-built frameset has cable liners insatalled. Inspect the Aeros (SP?) fork though. Newer forks are stiffer front to back.

The early Quantum Pro geo did not suit me until the '03 Q Pro Carbon with the Time rear seatstays. Still one of the best performance framesets available. The one I have was built at the Trek factory (project 1 paint) but I understand the blokes there appreciated my recognition of Kleins old marketing campaign.

Ride. When I was in shape and riding hard up to two years ago, most of my cycling mates rode Cervelo SLC. Those bikes certainly seem to bounce around more. Based on my testing a few years ago, ride was on par with a Serotta Legend TI with quicker low speed handling.

If someone built the frameset today with isp-I'd buy it.

avalonracing
03-14-2010, 11:02 AM
We had 2000 Quantum Pros and Quantum Races as our team race bikes. We were all very pleased with them. They are light, stiff and feel damn fast.

The stiffness might bother some people but it feels like every bit of energy that you put out moves you forward. They are great in crits because of their high BB. Seriously, I could pedal through corners that other people could not. That said, if it is a bumpy corner at high speed the back end will dance at high pressure (but again, you would only do that under all out race conditions).

The steep STA helps you ride the rivet when it is time to through down and the steep HTA keeps the handling sharp.

The light weight and stiffness also translates to a very nice climbing bike.

I'm making this sound like a race only bike, it's not. While it is a GREAT bike to race I have ridden mine in easy centuries and long group rides and felt fine afterward.

The reverse dropouts are fine once you learn how to pull the chain back when changing your wheel. Sure you'll get oil on your finger but you'll live. I'll tell you one thing, you'll never have your wheel slip forward again.

I have well over 15K miles on my Klein and I plan to hold onto it indefinitely. We have too many good miles together.

I wish Klein was still an independent company. There is a place for an aluminum, American made race bike.

ChamUK
03-14-2010, 11:51 AM
I was surprised by this:
http://www.kleinjapan.com/index.html

William
03-15-2010, 03:15 AM
Not much more I can add that hasn't already been said. Just have to agree....awesome rides. :cool:

William

rwsaunders
03-15-2010, 06:16 AM
I was surprised by this:

That's interesting...I thought that they had bought the farm.

mike p
03-15-2010, 08:34 AM
I owned and raced two of them. Very good bikes back then if the geometry suited you. The reverse dropouts were a pita for me. They had some incredable paint jobs if they were to your liking. I also think a caad 9 would be quite a step up.

Mike

zap
03-15-2010, 08:58 AM
I was surprised by this:

Different bikes that are nothing like the Quantum Pro. Plus thats a 2009 websit.

Oh wait, so is Serotta's :rolleyes:

mosca
03-15-2010, 07:05 PM
I still remember my first test ride on my Quantum Pro, back in '01. I was coming from a mid-level Specialized and remember thinking "wow, so this is what a good bike feels like!"

I agree with most of what's been said already - particuarly avalonracing's post which is spot-on to my experience. Get some smooth-riding wheels and an offset seatpost if you need to get your ass further back, and it's a great all-around ride.

And I still haven't found a bike that feels as snappy in a sprint - it just begs me to unleash my mad-sprinting-skillz. Someday I would love to get an aluminum frame that combines that lively feel with full custom geometry.

Mine here. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=25957)