PDA

View Full Version : Moots VaMoots SL and Litespeed Vortex

Aspen
03-14-2005, 02:30 PM
Has anyone put enough time on these two frames to comment on similarities and/or differences in ride quality? Specificially, is one smoother than the other and does one feel stiffer, thus climb better?

Satellite
03-14-2005, 04:17 PM
Aspen,

I have a Moots VaMoots SL. I have never had the chance to ride the LiteSpeed Vortex. The Moots does everything well. Moots use round tubes where the LiteSpeed uses bent 6/4Ti. I would guess the LiteSpeed would be stiffer. The Moots is plenty stiff in the bottom bracket while being vertically compliant.

If you want an aluminum type ride buy and aluminum bike and save a bunch of money. Again I have never rode the Vortex only seen them it maybe every bit as vertically compliant.

Sorry I am not much help on the comparison but I can tell you I am very very happy with my VaMoots SL. None of my other bikes have seen the pavement since the VaMoots graced my stable.

Best Regards,

Satellite

CalfeeFly
03-14-2005, 06:19 PM
I've not ridden either but from my reading and comments seen in forums it would seem to me comparing a Litespeed to a Moots would be like comparing a Serotta to a Cannondale. The Litespeed and C-Dale are great bikes that get the job done but in essense production bikes. Moots is in a different league. Also there is some sentiment in the industry that Litespeed isn't quite the same since the buyout. They are part of one really big corporation now.

Good luck. :bike:

Aspen
03-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the reply however, I am not concerned whether one is a production bike, custom, has the best welds, etc. No question that Moots has the one up on cool factor in my opinion. I am trying to find details about the ride quality.

JohnS
03-14-2005, 06:57 PM
How about the Legend. With it being all custom, it can be spec'd to provide any kind of ride that you want.

Ti-Boy
03-14-2005, 07:06 PM
In May 03 Bicyling did a shootout of Ti bikes. Of the Vortex they said, "Ideal for riders who live to hammer rougher roads, or those who disdain any road vibration." They gave the Vortex high marks for boming rough descents, but low marks (sluggish) for fast winding descents.

Of the Vamoots they said, "Best combo or ride feel and handling among our three test bikes, good for everything from long, easy rides with friends to full-throttle racing." Called Vamoots stiff but resilient, but probably still not stiff enough for sprinters or big riders.

I did a week long tour of Vermont last summer and rode with a Texan on a Vortex. He was not happy with it. Had some issues and was not happy with Litespeed's handling of the matter.

Love my Vamoots for what it's worth.

Jeff N.
03-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Litespeed probably puts out more frames by lunch break than Moots does in a year! And yes, for what its worth, I love MY Vamoots TOO! Jeff N.

arsegas
03-14-2005, 08:22 PM
I haven't ridden the Vortex, but I also love my Moots. I've got a Vamoots SL, standard 52 frame. The bike is a climbing machine and it's fast and stable on descents. However, the engine powering the bike needs some work.

- Eric

Kirk Pacenti
03-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Moots!

CalfeeFly
03-14-2005, 09:56 PM
It is nice to know all you Moots riders agree with me...your bike is in a whole different league than a Litespeed.

:beer:

slowgoing
03-14-2005, 10:30 PM
Thank you? Are you serious?

93legendti
03-15-2005, 12:29 AM
Aspen,

I have a Moots VaMoots SL. I have never had the chance to ride the LiteSpeed Vortex. The Moots does everything well. Moots use round tubes where the LiteSpeed uses bent 6/4Ti. I would guess the LiteSpeed would be stiffer. The Moots is plenty stiff in the bottom bracket while being vertically compliant.

If you want an aluminum type ride buy and aluminum bike and save a bunch of money. Again I have never rode the Vortex only seen them it maybe every bit as vertically compliant.

Sorry I am not much help on the comparison but I can tell you I am very very happy with my VaMoots SL. None of my other bikes have seen the pavement since the VaMoots graced my stable.

Best Regards,

Satellite

I have a Strong Ti Compact made from the same Reynolds 6/4 DB Ti tubing as the Moots SL and I agree 100% with what you said...except my Serottas still see time on the pavement!

oracle
03-15-2005, 12:49 AM
btw,

why should i weep?

oracle

bostondrunk
03-15-2005, 05:40 AM
btw,

why should i weep?

oracle

because..

whispers echo winter crisp