PDA

View Full Version : Should I install my carbon seatpost with friction paste?

MadeinGermany
03-13-2010, 09:51 AM
I bought this awesome Syntace P6 carbon seatpost. Reading the installation instructions, Syntace recommends NOT to use a friction paste. Their claim is that is would scratch the surface. Instead they recommend to use a silicone spray. What is considered a silicone spray, and what effect has a layer of silicone versus a friction gel?

I wanted to use my Finish Line carbon fiber assembly gel, but am now in doubt if I should use anything. The seatpost would go into a new carbon frame, so there is no residue from any previous paste or gel.

Any thoughts ?

Ken Robb
03-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Interesting question. I understand that friction paste can work like a mild grinding compound. The silicon sprays I have used have been lubricants. I think I'd rather have a scratched post that stayed in place than a shiny one that moved under me. What torque does Syntace recommend on the binder bolt? Is it higher than for other carbon posts to compensate for the lower friction?

MadeinGermany
03-13-2010, 10:24 AM
The instructions make no reference to the torque recommended. I'll have to surf their web page for information. If any forum member has this info readily available, I'd appreciate a quick reply.

I'm with you on the scratching of the seatpost. I don't care since this portion of the psot will not be visible anyhow. Rather safe than sorry anyhow. Just thought this was a rather odd recommendation from Syntace. Friction paste it will be.

pbjbike
03-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Try the spray first, and see if it slips, unless it's not in your toolkit and is difficult to get. The spray dries, and does not have the lubricity of grease. Mark the post with a tiny pencil mark at the seat lug. It will be easy to monitor any movement.

The instructions make no reference to the torque recommended. I'll have to surf their web page for information. If any forum member has this info readily available, I'd appreciate a quick reply.

I'm with you on the scratching of the seatpost. I don't care since this portion of the psot will not be visible anyhow. Rather safe than sorry anyhow. Just thought this was a rather odd recommendation from Syntace. Friction paste it will be.

desalvo
03-13-2010, 11:28 AM
iirc, the syntace installation sheet doesn't specify a torque number, but instead says to tighten the clamp bolt just enough so that you can't turn the seat.

not very scientific, but by tweaking it a little at a time (if necessary), you'll get there eventually.

i've found that at my weight (165#), i need to tighten it a bit past the point where the post doesn't twist in order for it to stay where i want it. since then, i haven't had to touch my p6 or the clamp.

i inserted the carbon post naked into the sleeve of my nove, but did grease the outside of the sleeve which contacts the titanium lug.

Charles M
03-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Two things.

And I would use either of them.

First is TACX paste. works well on bars and stem, cuts slippage to diddly and does not freese posts in the tube.

Second: EFFETTO MARIPOSA Carbo Grip and Carbo move sprays. They do what they say. One stops slip and the other loosens things and they dont freeze things in place either.

I use these things on every build and have ZERO slip and can stick to torque specs pretty much without fear.

They're one of the better bike products created in the past few years...