PDA

View Full Version : Map My Ride

Kines
03-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Anyone have any idea how accurate the elevation output on MapMyRide.com is? It seems pretty tight, but I am dubious - how can such detailed information be available? I understand topographical mapping, but I would expect resolution in 50ft increments, at best....

Anyone know?

KN

Louis
03-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Note sure about the absolute elevation, but I do know that much of the time the % grade color thing on the elevation option is AFU.

Ray
03-13-2010, 04:57 AM
I have a pretty good knowledge of a few of the more common routes in my area based on having ridden them with people that had barometric elevation on their GPS devices or on their computers. One particular local century has total climbing of about 8200 feet and I've seen several guys' computers come up within a couple of percent of the same number. Based on a handful of routes that I believe I know the total climbing on, Map My Ride is very low, sometimes by as much as half. I've also checked Ridewithgps.com and its a lot closer, but usually slightly high. I tend to believe the numbers on Ridewithgps.com but figure they're anywhere from 5-15% higher than actual.

-Ray

Kines
03-15-2010, 04:14 PM
I had a revelation while riding today in the form of a theory as to how MapMyRide could be (apparently) accurate to the foot. Those Google Map cars obviously have GPS, and that's how Street Map works, right? Well, they probably also plug elevation into the formula simultaneously.

KN