PDA

View Full Version : Specialized Saddles - a tip from the demo team

pdmtong
03-12-2010, 05:32 PM
I have a 130 phenom sl on my mtb - I like it

I tried a 143 phenom on my CX bike - I didn't like it

I have Arione CX's on my road bikes. I like those a lot

I tried a 143 toupe - I liked it. HUH?

Turns out the demo wrench had REMOVED those little fixed wing edge guards on both sides of the saddle, allowing it to flex more. The plastic pieces are simply attached with 2 allen bolts. That was the ticket for me. Never thought to try that....

BTW, the demo bike was a 2010 s-works tarmac (saxo bank) with Di2.

After 40 miles and 3200', this is the future of gruppos. I spent years on ultegra 9sp, have run record 10 the past four, and using Force on my CX. Those are all nice.

Di2 is fantastic. Of course its outrageously expensive, we just need the cost to come down ot chorus/6700/force levels.

For a few hours...I was andy, frank, jens, fabian......

Climb01742
03-12-2010, 05:42 PM
interesting tip about the saddle. thanks. BTW, how'd you like the frame?

pdmtong
03-12-2010, 06:12 PM
I liked the frame [insert bicycling mag review superlatives here]

It's easy to knock the big box companies, but I feel like they got this one right.

endosch2
03-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Are you some web marketing guy for Specialized?

Pete Serotta
03-12-2010, 06:30 PM
The Specialized 143 toupe works great for me....I was really surprised when I was offered one a year or so ago. Fizit Alliante was my favorite before this.

I have even recommended to others who had a "pressing" problem and it even helped them :)

pdmtong
03-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Are you some web marketing guy for Specialized?

no affiliation with specialized, although we have a few of them in our house.

what i can say though is their shoes, saddles and helmets should be strongly considered by anyone considering a purchase in these catagories.

they have come a loooong way. I like my s-works shoes as much as I do my sidis

rnhood
03-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Agree, their saddles, shoes and helmets are top shelf. Some of their bikes are too.

JeffS
03-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Add gloves to that list. Oh, and their adjustable shim stems rock too.

echelon_john
03-12-2010, 09:07 PM
ditto on their shoes & saddles--i've been a sidi guy forever and the bg stuff just feels great.

the saddles (and the choice of widths) are really pretty impressive, and not big $ all things considered...

Lincoln
03-12-2010, 10:07 PM
They are doing some good stuff, too bad they don't stand behind their products. The only thing of theirs I have left is a Toupe, which I like but will ditch when I find anything else my butt likes.

arcadian
03-13-2010, 07:21 AM
I will add optics to the list of things Specilaized does well. I do like their shoes and saddles.

Kirk007
03-13-2010, 09:36 AM
They are doing some good stuff, too bad they don't stand behind their products. The only thing of theirs I have left is a Toupe, which I like but will ditch when I find anything else my butt likes.

Maybe you need a better dealer? My LBS is a big Specialized dealer - I'm going on 6 years with some BG carbon shoes - he's replaced gratis ratchet mech on the top strap twice. Warrantied a Toupe when the silly plastic nose piece caught up on my shorts and snapped. I 've used 4 toupes for three years with no other problems. Had a stumpy that was well built, well spec'd and rode great. I see the Specialized rep in the store alot - good guy and good service. Agree with the others = they are really upping the ante with many of their products.

majl
03-13-2010, 09:55 AM
They are doing some good stuff, too bad they don't stand behind their products.
I've seen the other side of this for sure. A friend of mine bought a used FSR XC (low end Stumpjumper) from a non-local rental shop. Last year we went down to Sea Otter and the morning of the XC race, we noticed that his frame was cracked. It was pretty noticeable and I'm surprised he hadn't seen the fracture line himself earlier. Anyway, we jonesed over to the Specialized tent and asked them for their advice. They set him up with a Stumpy Pro gratis for the race that day. After he got back, he had the frame warrantied through his LBS, and Specialized sent him an alloy S-Works Epic frameset. Not current model year of course but we were all impressed by how the Big S came through. And no, I don't have any affiliation with Specialized. We do have 3 of their MTBs and several kids bikes kicking around the house though.

djg
03-13-2010, 10:31 AM
A local guy suggested I try the Alias 143. This is, arguably, the ugliest saddle known to man. When you put that on your bike, you want an alias. But I'll be darned if it doesn't seem pretty comfortable and a good solid platform for me. I think I might sell off a couple of my Aliantes.

Ralph
03-13-2010, 01:40 PM
A local guy suggested I try the Alias 143. This is, arguably, the ugliest saddle known to man. When you put that on your bike, you want an alias. But I'll be darned if it doesn't seem pretty comfortable and a good solid platform for me. I think I might sell off a couple of my Aliantes.

I have Alias 143's on both my bikes. They work for me....after going thru about 50 saddles trying to get comfortable....I just had to learn how to set them up....for me. Nose up about the smallest amount my level will measure works for me. With nose about 3-3 1/16" behind BB axle line. I think they are a good compromise between a pure racing saddle, a "just riding" saddle, weight and cost, etc. As they say....ugly is in the eye of the beholder.

BTW...My LBS (Orange Cycle Works) lets one try all the saddles out you need to. Just keep buying and returning until you get it right. A terrific shop. You gotta bring it back like new is only request. But you can ride it a couple times, and it'l still look new. Don't over clamp the rails, etc.

Just got a pair of their Comp road shoes and two pair of Look Keo2Max pedals. Hope to use them tomorrow AM. So far....another satisfied S customer.

Fivethumbs
03-15-2010, 12:45 AM
I had AWESOME customer service from the Spealized webstore with a Toupe "issue".

SteveV0983
03-15-2010, 08:11 AM
I agree that you need a new dealer if that is who is not standing behind the product. As far as the company is concerned, I ordered an Avatar saddle direct from the web store because I wanted to try it before I owned it. Loved the saddle and kept it, but thought it seemed "flexy" after 1000 miles or so. I called Specialized and they summized that the shell may have cracked. No questions asked, I had a new saddle arrive at my door within a week. No charge, don't bother sending the old one back. Unbelievable customer service.

Lincoln
03-15-2010, 10:51 AM
My warranty issue got taken to the district rep and to the mother ship. No dice.

I had a chainstay snap mid-span on a Stumpjumper FSR Pro. The bike was low mileage (plenty of life still on the original rear tire) and not abused. I ride fast but smooth and don't get air. I had to buy a new chainstay assembly, a full suspension-overhaul bushing kit (I needed two little washer type bushings) and full suspension bolt kit (I needed one) and a new rear tire.

Specialized's warranty advertises a lifetime frame warranty (large font, bold, all caps) and then, buried (4th paragraph) down in the small print (in parentheses) they note that they don't consider chainstays and seatstays to be part of the frame, but part of the suspension and thus only subject to a one year warranty. So yes, technically they were within their legal right not to do anything for me but I've worked in a bunch of shops and never seen any bike company handle a warranty issue so poorly.

I'm glad they do a better job backing their $150 saddles than they do their $4,200 bikes :rolleyes: .

John H.
03-16-2010, 05:39 PM
did you find that the Toupe had to be set up further behind the bb to sit you in the same spot? I rode one today- I put it 5mm further back than my other saddle- may need to go more than that.
I also forgot how much sag Toupe saddles have (had one years ago) in a single 2.5 hour ride the saddle sagged in the middle by 3-4mm.