PDA

View Full Version : New Wheels

Halfcalf
03-12-2010, 02:10 AM
I have a Legend ST and want to buy new wheels to replace my Ksyriums. Great wheel, too many miles on them...having them rebuilt. I'm riding clinchers after riding tubies for 20 years.

Carbon or Alu? I do fast club rides, plenty of mileage, lots of long and steep climbs and fast descents on every ride. I live in the Northwest, so can be wet on any ride. I weigh 160 lbs. Looking Reynolds Assault, Campy Shamal 2-way, Mavics again, Eastons. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Halfcalf

Kingfisher
03-12-2010, 05:56 AM
For a set of handmade, take a look at Joe Lindsay out of Texas. I bought a set from him this summer and couldn't be happier. DT 240 hubs, DT RR1 rims....and best of all they are handmade and everything is replaceable. I'm a big guy, 6'2" and 210 and this is what he recommended for me. The wheels are still PERFECTLY true after 1500 hard miles. Best thing is that they feel "alive" every time I ride them. A buddy has a set of Ksyrium SSC's and he said the same thing after riding them.

Good luck

soulspinner
03-12-2010, 06:10 AM
Hed Ardennes stout build or custom by Ergott. Carbon wheels in the wet arent as good stopping as alu. My 2 frns...

Pete Serotta
03-12-2010, 06:23 AM
but with "many" miles ridden - I would suggest another pair of Mavic or some handbuilt by Ergott, Justin, Jeremy, etx. Give them a call or send not to discuss needs and options.

LegendRider
03-12-2010, 06:47 AM
For a set of handmade, take a look at Joe Lindsay out of Texas. I bought a set from him this summer and couldn't be happier. DT 240 hubs, DT RR1 rims....and best of all they are handmade and everything is replaceable. I'm a big guy, 6'2" and 210 and this is what he recommended for me. The wheels are still PERFECTLY true after 1500 hard miles. Best thing is that they feel "alive" every time I ride them. A buddy has a set of Ksyrium SSC's and he said the same thing after riding them.

Good luck

Do you mean Joe Young? www.youngwheels.com

I have some wheels from him that are bombproof. I've ridden them all over Istanbul, Turkey (i.e., bad roads...) and they've never needed truing.

Kingfisher
03-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Oooops, my bad....you are right, Joe Young (I just turned 55 on Saturday and I can't remember S#$!#$!@).

Thanks for the correction

Pete Serotta
03-12-2010, 10:34 AM
:banana: :banana:

Do you mean Joe Young? www.youngwheels.com

I have some wheels from him that are bombproof. I've ridden them all over Istanbul, Turkey (i.e., bad roads...) and they've never needed truing.

false_Aest
03-12-2010, 11:13 AM
I hear Shimano RS-10s are teh b0mb

OH

MY

GOSH!

There's some for sale in classified!!!!

Also . . . Ligero's new hubs look effin hot!

godfrey1112000
03-12-2010, 11:27 AM
I have a set of DT 190 ceramics

exceptional wheels, excellent service and follow up

tell Joe how you ride and he will build the wheel you need

he wants your imput and riding goals

dekindy
03-12-2010, 11:28 AM
I like my Shimano 7850-SL's with Hutchinson tubeless on my Legend for all around recreational riding. The HED Ardennes and Bastognes would be my choice for clinchers which is best on all the reviews that I have read from people that have ridden a lot of wheels. My buddy has some Ardennes on his Moots Mootour bike that he rides for commuting and in bad weather. He likes that combination real well. His other bike is a System Six with Ksyriums.

Likes2ridefar
03-12-2010, 11:44 AM
I'd stay away from the carbon wheels unless they have a metal braking surface. There is a noticeable degradation in braking when wet or even during dry fast descents. Some will probably say otherwise, but this is just my own personal experience with various Reynolds wheels and a few different brake pads.

I usually go with high end custom wheels but this year have mostly been riding dura-ace cl 24 carbon clinchers. I really like these wheels a lot. best clinchers I've been on thus far. They make a tubeless version too that I wish I had gotten.

hed ardennes also look very appealing and I want to try them but haven't seen the need to pony up the $'s when the dura-ace work just fine.

If you do go the custom route, madcow from fairwheel bikes and a wheel builder (forget his name) just wrote a huge review on most of the top end hubs currently available. It can be found at fairwheelbike's website forum or linked to from weight weenies road forum. There were a few hubs that were far better received than the typically seen high end build dt swiss 240 hub.

Kane
03-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Mavic makes great rims, but their rear hub is weak at best. The free hub body is a joke.
DT, Hadley, King: now those are great hubs.

jbrainin
03-12-2010, 12:29 PM
For the price, it's hard to beat a pair of Nimble Spiders.
www.nimble.net

jlwdm
03-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Mavic makes great rims, but their rear hub is weak at best. The free hub body is a joke...

All I know is after about 13,000 miles I have not had to do anything to my Ksyrium ESs. No hub problems or any problems.

Jeff

Pete Serotta
03-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Ksyriums in my view get a bad rap.....they have been bullet proof for me in the years I have had them.

The rear hub have never given me any problems and I have not broken any spokes.

yes, I have heard about the rear cassette body and washer, but have had no problems... In RIDE the ROCKIES over the past two years, we have only seen one rider come in with problems and it was because of very high miles (according to him) and very little cleaning,

OtayBW
03-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Hed Ardennes stout build or custom by Ergott. Carbon wheels in the wet arent as good stopping as alu. My 2 frns...
That's overkill for a guy 160 lbs. He'll do fine on the regulars.

soulspinner
03-13-2010, 07:56 AM
That's overkill for a guy 160 lbs. He'll do fine on the regulars.

Mixed my threads up-absoltely he will be fine on the lighter ones :bike:

champ
03-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Aluminum rims given your riding environment.. I highly recommend Campy Shamal or Eurus 2-way, Fulcrum Zero/One/Three or any of the HED C2 wheels. The HED's, in particular, are known for a tubular-like ride with the new wider rims. The Campy/Fulcrum wheels are bulletproof and have great hubs. You cant go wrong with any of these wheels.