PDA

View Full Version : Tubulars

jpw
03-11-2010, 06:45 AM
I've never used tubular wheels/ tyres.
Is it troublesome to repair a puncture when out on the road?

djg
03-11-2010, 06:55 AM
Small puncture: vittoria pit stop (air plus sealant) -- piece of cake.
Big puncture, sidewall tear, or other major issue -- standard practice is to yank the tire and proceed with a spare; roadside repair is a PITA, although certainly it's doable if you have a repair kit with you.

gone
03-11-2010, 07:00 AM
I assume by "repair" you mean "replace" since patching the tube inside a tubular on the side of the road would be a major pain. Replacing a tubular with a spare is relatively easy and can be done in about the time it takes to put a new tube in a clincher.

sspielman
03-11-2010, 07:02 AM
What is generally done is that you carry a spare...if you have a flat, you change the tire. The spare should be a previously used tubular....that way it is well stretched and easy to mount....and should have some residual glue to make a little bit of a "contact bond" (Which can be pretty decent in warm weather)....You then finish your ride without bombing corners or descents "just in case". In the event of a second flat, call for a ride home...it's not your day....get off the road before a truck runs you over.

ergott
03-11-2010, 07:08 AM
The last time I changed a tubular tire at a group ride I had everyone around me telling me that that was faster than they can change a tube in a clincher tire.

Keep a tire lever with your spare. Wedge the lever under the tire and work the glue off in one spot. Roll the tire off the rim. Once you have the mechanical advantage even the best glue job doesn't stand a chance. Then you put one your spare.

You can carry a can of Pit Stop or similar for the small punctures and often you don't even need to replace the tire. A can and a spare tire is all you really need.

sg8357
03-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Antonin Magne, shows the proper way to carry a spare tubular.
Photo courtesy Aldo Ross.

stephenmarklay
03-11-2010, 08:01 AM
I glued on a tube for the first time last week. I had a time getting it on perfect however. It was not too bad but a little off in spots. It raced fine.

I decided to take it off and reglue after the race. Holy crap. I have blisters on my thumbs and had to use a plastic pry bar (about 3 inches wide) to get the tire off. How in the world does someone do it on a ride. It took me at least a half hour and I thought I would destroy my Zipp wheel.

Z3c
03-11-2010, 08:13 AM
I glued on a tube for the first time last week. I had a time getting it on perfect however. It was not too bad but a little off in spots. It raced fine.

I decided to take it off and reglue after the race. Holy crap. I have blisters on my thumbs and had to use a plastic pry bar (about 3 inches wide) to get the tire off. How in the world does someone do it on a ride. It took me at least a half hour and I thought I would destroy my Zipp wheel.

I am gonna' guess that you followed one of the plethora of 42-step gluing procedures found on the web? Try using less glue. Apply a thin, consistent layer on the tire and the rim; it is about coverage, not quantity of glue. Let the 2 halves dry for about 15 mins and mount the tire. Let it dry overnight and enjoy. You will be able to remove without blisters/rim damage.

Ride safe,

Scott

jpw
03-11-2010, 08:24 AM

Sounds hellish!

Are tubulars very very tight to get on the rim?

With clinchers I always carry a spare inner tube as I never ever want to repair a puncture on the road if at all possible (unless I get two punctures on the same ride - I only carry one spare inner). My water bottle tool 'box' is stuffed full of all sorts of spare this and that and weighs a lot, but I think it's necessary. Do tubular tyres fold down nice and small, or not? I'm thinking Andre Dugust, and so does anyone have experience of them, say the Typhoon?

Z3c
03-11-2010, 06:11 PM
No, tubulars are not that tough to mount on the rim. I do suggest stretching on a rim which can be a clincher, for at least a few hours. I keep a few spares hanging in my garage on old rims so I always have one. They truly are not the OMG hassle some make them out to be; the key is to listen to those who ride them, not those who know someone who knows someone that had a bad experience..

Scott

stephenmarklay
03-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Even though I had a really hard time getting the tire off - I don't have any real issue.

They were a lot easier to stretch than some clinchers I have used.

bicycletricycle
03-11-2010, 09:28 PM
i really like the tufo sealent the best.

retrogrouchy
03-11-2010, 09:36 PM
No, tubulars are not that tough to mount on the rim. I do suggest stretching on a rim which can be a clincher, for at least a few hours. I keep a few spares hanging in my garage on old rims so I always have one. They truly are not the OMG hassle some make them out to be; the key is to listen to those who ride them, not those who know someone who knows someone that had a bad experience..

Scott

+1 (what he said!)