PDA

View Full Version : Helmet replacement

tim11
03-10-2010, 07:53 PM
What's the general consensus on replacing an un-crashed road helmet? Three years? I seem to remember seeing somewhere that Bell recommends two years, but that sounds pretty short.

dekindy
03-10-2010, 09:44 PM
My LBS recommends 5 years assuming that you are riding in all weather conditions and thousands of miles per year.

Charles M
03-10-2010, 10:30 PM
I would call the manufacturer. Different helmets and materials mean one answer doesnt fit all the questions anymore. Climate and use play a part as well. If I'm out logging pro miles in all kinds of weather I get a new helmet every year at least. If I have a few helmets and they're stored in a cool dry clean place, I would keep a helmet not more than 3. But some of the ultralight helmets with new foam types etc... I would call the manufacturer.

SpeedyChix
03-11-2010, 06:41 AM
The color is fading on one of mine, it's just been replaced. It had two, maybe three seasons on it. It only saw road and CX use so call it two if you'd been wearing it for all riding (I was using another helmet for mtb riding during it's tenure).

Having had one concussion as the result of an unscheduled dismount from my mtb, I am a firm believer that helmets are inexpensive and important enough to be replaced regularly. Every two years seems reasonable enough. Plan ahead a bit and buy last year's model on closeout rather than the new top-end mega-featured and it's not going to empty your wallet.

xjoex
03-11-2010, 07:53 AM
One more vote for 2 years for a helmet. Plus they just keep getting nicer and lighter...

-Joe

MattTuck
03-11-2010, 08:04 AM
Sounds like another one for MythBusters "cyclist edition". Sure, foam breaks down and exposure to UV rays, sweat and water can certainly increase the rate of that breakdown.

However, I have a suspicion that it is more likely a plot to sell more helmets. Sort of like how you're supposed to change your oil every 3,000 miles. Pure hogwash.

I'd call the manufacturer, and ask, and if they say "change it after two years", I'd respond, "that is actually quite disappointing, I don't thin I'm going to buy your brand of helmet again." and see if they change their tune.

Pete Serotta
03-11-2010, 08:22 AM
As Prez says - - :)

I typically replace mine every three years if not before...If it has been on when crashing or it is very "well used" I do it sooner.

Keep in mind that the helmet is an insurance policy for your head.... I have a difficult time replacing something that cost $150 plus when it looks good, but I do not want to find out it "failed me in any way" when I do a "head plant".

The more the helmet deflects and takes impact the less my head will take!!!! It takes impact, generally speaking, when it is relatively new and material is at it maximum design advantage.

Charles M
03-11-2010, 08:35 AM
I do the same thing for Moto lids which are very similar to bike hats in construction and principal. They are a cost relative to speed and protection thing I would guess. But drop coin on a new Arai or import a Givi and suddenly a new Giro seems cheap.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/charles/duchat.jpg
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/charles/duchat3.jpg

I ride hard. I fall down...

I cant think of any injury I have ever had that I would not have paid 1-2-5oo bucks to make go away if someone had a magic wand.

I can tell you that after virtually shattering a bike helmet having a head on with a garbage truck, I don't have a problem making sure what little is between my ears doesn't git no dummer.

oldpotatoe
03-11-2010, 09:45 AM
As Prez says - - :)

I typically replace mine every three years if not before...If it has been on when crashing or it is very "well used" I do it sooner.

Keep in mind that the helmet is an insurance policy for your head.... I have a difficult time replacing something that cost $150 plus when it looks good, but I do not want to find out it "failed me in any way" when I do a "head plant".

The more the helmet deflects and takes impact the less my head will take!!!! It takes impact, generally speaking, when it is relatively new and material is at it maximum design advantage.

I think you would be horrified to learn what the height and speed limits helmets are tested to. Very low height and very low speed. You are generally sitting higher and traveling faster than what the helmet is tested to.

Charles M
03-11-2010, 10:59 AM
ahhh... here we go.

Peter P.
03-11-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm with MattTuck on this one. I've read somewhere helmets should be replaced every 2 or 3 years; can't remember which.

I usually keep mine until something breaks; I can't find replacement pads or the hard plastic Roc-Loc type retention device cracks. From my receipts it looks like I get about 5 years out of them.

As a tip I learned from another forum, when I purchase a helmet I order a couple sets of replacement pads, too. That way, I don't have to trash the helmet because pads aren't available, extending the useful life of my helmets.

tim11
03-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks for all the input. Time to go helmet shopping.

soulspinner
03-12-2010, 06:30 AM
Three years was what the Giro rep said when he visited our shop. Thats if UV /crash/abuse hasnt occured. I once stored my Ghisallo in the sun light every day for a season (ya duh) and the foam turned to concrete (you could feel a huge diff with that and a new helmet).