PDA

View Full Version : Speedplay vs. Look

mlindy
03-10-2010, 06:41 PM
I'm currently riding Look pedals, but definitely interested in Speedplay pedals, especially since Metrigear is closer to releasing its integrating wattage measuring pedals based on the Speedplay pedal. Any downside with Speedplay pedals?

ahumblecycler
03-10-2010, 07:28 PM
As someone who also rides Look, I am growing to throw out two disadvantages I have identified for myself. First, I do not want to learn a new pedal system. I have 10 or so years of habit that I do not wish to break and reshape. Second, the cleats are large and cumbersome. My friend rides speedplay, and I have seen him do some fancy ice skating on floors. Worse, we have occassionally come across "Roads closed to through traffic", but we picked up our bikes and hiked through the mud. My Look cleats take about 15 seconds in the grass to clean off. He actually has to find a twig to dig out the mud.

Just my two euros.

azrider
03-10-2010, 07:50 PM
I came from shimano spd's and am currently running speedplays. I was having some recurring knee problems and was told to give the speedplays a try. That was three years ago and haven't looked back. Stack height on the speedplays is almost non-existant, clearance on cornering is more than most others on the market, and the high range float option is awesome.

Aside from all else....seems like i'm the first at every stop light, and start line to be engaged in the pedal (dual entry = sweetness) first and get the better jump on everyone else.

Just my two cents.....

pbjbike
03-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Call me quaint and old fashioned, but I don't want to have to maintain my cleats, as is necessary with Speedplays: regular cleaning, lubrication, and more frequent replacement. Their advertised light weight is counter balanced by the heaver, (and more expensive) cleat. If you need the free float of the X series, then go for 'em. Otherwise, there are several better options, IMO. Flame away. :beer:

BCS
03-10-2010, 08:13 PM
As someone who also rides Look, I am growing to throw out two disadvantages I have identified for myself. First, I do not want to learn a new pedal system. I have 10 or so years of habit that I do not wish to break and reshape. Second, the cleats are large and cumbersome. My friend rides speedplay, and I have seen him do some fancy ice skating on floors. Worse, we have occassionally come across "Roads closed to through traffic", but we picked up our bikes and hiked through the mud. My Look cleats take about 15 seconds in the grass to clean off. He actually has to find a twig to dig out the mud.

Just my two euros.
+1. I made the change from Speedplay to Look. Even a little sand or road grit in the cleats made the engagement in the Speedplays suboptimal. Otherwise, I have been happy with both pedal systems.

jbrainin
03-10-2010, 08:24 PM

Just get cleat covers. Problem(s) eliminated.

jbrainin
03-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Call me quaint and old fashioned, but I don't want to have to maintain my cleats, as is necessary with Speedplays: regular cleaning, lubrication, and more frequent replacement. Their advertised light weight is counter balanced by the heaver, (and more expensive) cleat. If you need the free float of the X series, then go for 'em. Otherwise, there are several better options, IMO. Flame away. :beer:

No flaming, but I've ridden Speedplays for nearly 20 years now, and have never yet had to maintain my cleats. No cleaning, lubrication only at the beginning of the season, and they last all year. Of course, as I commented above, the "secret" is cleat covers. They cost all of $12 and work wonders.

That said, you may well be quaint and old fashioned!

Mike748
03-10-2010, 09:20 PM
For me, Speedplay + cleat covers = happy knees.

Did recently try SPD-SL's... nice pedals but I need the free float.

rounder
03-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Another speedplay fan. To me the worst thing about them is that they are kind of boring looking compared to looks and times. I have been using the same pair for about 15 years (X2). I know that i ride mainly in good weather. I have never lubed them and only changed the cleats once about two years ago. I do not walk around with covers, but i would not intentionally walk through mud. Other than a frame, i have never had any bike thing last so long.

m.skeen
03-10-2010, 10:06 PM
For me, Speedplay + cleat covers = happy knees.

(snip)

I think this sums it up pretty well. I have only ridden Speedplay pedals and I can't imagine trying anything else. Not because I'm not curious but I have no knee issues or hot spots, I don't think the cleat "maintenance" is that bad and the $12 covers are very easy to throw in my jersey pocket should I need them.

Stick with what works for you. If you haven't been riding Looks for long and want to try Speedplay buy a used pair of pedals, new cleats and give them a shot.

Elefantino
03-11-2010, 12:59 AM
No, there is no downside to Speedplay, save for getting used to a different pedal system.

...more frequent replacement...
I have found the opposite to be true. I used to replace my plastic Look cleats once a season. I get three or four seasons on Speedplay cleats. And I clean and lube them once in, oh, a blue moon.

That said, unless you have achy knees, absolutely hate what you're riding now or have to have that ANT+ transmitter, I'd +1 and stick with what brung you thus far.

William
03-11-2010, 04:50 AM
Switched from SPD's in the mid 90's to Speedplay...been riding them ever since.

I forget they are even there....which is a good thing.

William

bostondrunk
03-11-2010, 04:59 AM
I'm a big speedplay zero fan. But I do replace the pedals and cleats once per year. I find that because of of my legs/feet does a lot of rotation, I seem to wear down the pedal body quite quickly, causing there to be a lot of 'rocking' (and new cleats does not fix it).
You can usually sell the used pedals on ebay for a reasonable amount, and get new stainless pedals from PBK for about 170. In the end, I'm out a very small amount considering what new cleats alone would have cost anyway..

azrider
03-11-2010, 07:40 AM
No flaming, but I've ridden Speedplays for nearly 20 years now, and have never yet had to maintain my cleats.

+1

I've heard people complain that they wouldn't want to maintain their speedplays, yet have never encountered a current speedplay user who has. Funny...

Dave
03-11-2010, 07:49 AM
One of the big advantages with speedplay is the double sided entry. Once you get familiar with them, there is no need to look down or fiddle with the pedal to get a cleat into the pedal. I can take off from a stop and just put my foot down to clip in. No looking required.

They do not work well if you walk in mud or snow. Keep cleat covers handy or try speedplay frogs. Frogs are made to handle mud and the cleats are more walking friendly.

There isn't much maintenance required, but I still give my cleats a shot of Blaster dry lube every week. It's also simple to grease the bearings and wise to do this annually. That takes all of 5 minutes.

I replace my cleats once a year. My current pair have 7,000 miles on them.

oldpotatoe
03-11-2010, 07:51 AM
I'm a big speedplay zero fan. But I do replace the pedals and cleats once per year. I find that because of of my legs/feet does a lot of rotation, I seem to wear down the pedal body quite quickly, causing there to be a lot of 'rocking' (and new cleats does not fix it).
You can usually sell the used pedals on ebay for a reasonable amount, and get new stainless pedals from PBK for about 170. In the end, I'm out a very small amount considering what new cleats alone would have cost anyway..

You know you can replace just the body on any Speedplay pedal. keep the spindle, replace the 'puck'..lots cheaper than a new pedal.

feds127
03-11-2010, 07:57 AM
After riding Speedplays for the last 6 years I made the switch to Look about 2 months ago. Speedplays aren't as easy to clean out if you happen to get junk in them but as mentioned above, cleat covers solve the problem. Cleat covers also give you more traction when walking. In terms of maintenance, I can say the Speedplays require very little maintenance and are very easy to work on. Overall the Speedplays are great solid pedals with easy entry on both sides. For me it was a matter of feel. I would have kept them if it wasn't that I have size 13US / 48EU feet and the platform felt narrow for my shoe and foot. The Looks have a wider platform which feels better to my foot. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the center of the pivot on the Speedplays vs. the Looks. The Speedplays pivot at the center of the cleat which is right under the ball of the foot. The Looks pivot at the front of the cleat. To me, the Looks feel more planted and better when I pedal. Again, this is a personal preference and based on my size foot.

William
03-11-2010, 08:33 AM
After riding Speedplays for the last 6 years I made the switch to Look about 2 months ago. Speedplays aren't as easy to clean out if you happen to get junk in them but as mentioned above, cleat covers solve the problem. Cleat covers also give you more traction when walking. In terms of maintenance, I can say the Speedplays require very little maintenance and are very easy to work on. Overall the Speedplays are great solid pedals with easy entry on both sides. For me it was a matter of feel. I would have kept them if it wasn't that I have size 13US / 48EU feet and the platform felt narrow for my shoe and foot. The Looks have a wider platform which feels better to my foot. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the center of the pivot on the Speedplays vs. the Looks. The Speedplays pivot at the center of the cleat which is right under the ball of the foot. The Looks pivot at the front of the cleat. To me, the Looks feel more planted and better when I pedal. Again, this is a personal preference and based on my size foot.

I run 15/16US and the SP's never gave me an issue. But, as you say, personal preference. :beer:

William

SteveV0983
03-12-2010, 03:26 PM
I had been using Looks for 22 years and just switched to Speedplay Zeros 2 months ago. I cannot believe I waited this long. I absolutely love these pedals! First of all, mounting them is a breeze because your for-aft, your left-right, and your rotation are 3 separate settings. You simply mount the base plates where you want them fore-aft, then you mount the cleat bodies where you want them left-right, and then the float takes care of the rotation. No more fiddling with oversized rectangular holes and washers trying to get the Look delta cleat "as close as possible" to where it should be. The double sided entry is great and I love the rotational float.
As far as maintenance is concerned, I use the coffee shop covers whenever I am off the bike, so wear and walkability is not an issue (which, by the way, I also did with my Look cleats for 22 years). I guess I could be considered going "overkill" with the maintenance, but before each ride I give them a shot of Blaster Dry Lube ($4 at Home Depot) and it takes all of about...10 seconds. So the "you have to take care of them, blah, blah, blah" is a ridiculous argument.
Try them. I will never go back.

oldpotatoe
03-13-2010, 08:07 AM
I had been using Looks for 22 years and just switched to Speedplay Zeros 2 months ago. I cannot believe I waited this long. I absolutely love these pedals! First of all, mounting them is a breeze because your for-aft, your left-right, and your rotation are 3 separate settings. You simply mount the base plates where you want them fore-aft, then you mount the cleat bodies where you want them left-right, and then the float takes care of the rotation. No more fiddling with oversized rectangular holes and washers trying to get the Look delta cleat "as close as possible" to where it should be. The double sided entry is great and I love the rotational float.
As far as maintenance is concerned, I use the coffee shop covers whenever I am off the bike, so wear and walkability is not an issue (which, by the way, I also did with my Look cleats for 22 years). I guess I could be considered going "overkill" with the maintenance, but before each ride I give them a shot of Blaster Dry Lube ($4 at Home Depot) and it takes all of about...10 seconds. So the "you have to take care of them, blah, blah, blah" is a ridiculous argument.
Try them. I will never go back.

Me too. Used LOOK, Campagnolo/LOOK then Campagnolo Profit..went to SP for it's 2 sided-ness on a fixie, liked them so much, changed all 3 bikes to SP Zero. Like the adjustability of the cleat, the durability of the cleat and pedal, ability to OVH, replace all parts if they wear and the ability to buy 1 pedal if you fall and kill one pedal. Great pedal, great company.

Elefantino
03-13-2010, 09:37 AM
I run 15/16US
Pics! ;)

champ
03-18-2010, 11:04 PM
The cleats are very sensitive to how tight you screw them down - accidental release and very quick wear of the springs are both possible if the cleats are too tight. Also, the cleat covers are a must anytime you walk anywhere - the cleats are prone to picking up debris and just dont work well when grit is involved. Finally, you have to keep the springs cleaned and lubed pretty regularly. Other than that they are great pedals and, imo, the best available all things considered.