PDA

View Full Version : Columbus TSX Serotta?

alexstar
03-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Hey all,
I just picked up a steel Serotta that's made from Columbus TSX. I'm having trouble finding info about it - any idea as to what model was built with this tubing? The bike has Campagnolo dropouts and fork ends, and the fork has a flat crown, so I suspect it was built between 1988-1990. The serial number is 90508. Thanks for any help you can give.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2693/4423228850_80ba2abc62.jpg

SPOKE
03-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Very nice! That thing has the Tour de France lug set. Way cool. Not sure of the build time period but your guess is probably close.

false_Aest
03-10-2010, 09:11 PM
I don't often say this about Serottas . . . just cause . . .

That bike's the tits.

weisan
03-10-2010, 09:43 PM
I need to have a closer look in order to ascertain, please send to the following address pronto:

Serotta S/N Certified Verifier
P.O. Box 30508
NY 30508

Elefantino
03-11-2010, 01:08 AM
TSX was an upgrade by Columbus in the late '80's for the SLX/SPX tubeset. The main improvement on TSX was that is was internally rifled from end to end on the down tube. This differed from SLX in that SLX was rifled only on the ends of the tube, where the butted sections existed. TSX was heavier than SLX, but much more rigid.
Something like that.

David Kirk
03-11-2010, 08:28 AM
I don't recall any Serottas being made with TSX. I could be wrong but I don't remember TSX being used.

Is there a chance that the bike was refinished over the years?

dave

alexstar
03-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone. The bike could have been repainted - most of the paint chips only reveal bare steel, but there are a couple scrapes on the fork that reveal a color very close to Bianchi's Celeste. I'll have to check the rifling in the downtube - it's definitely present at the BB shell, but i'll see if i can check the entire length.

The bike has details that are very similar to IXXI's ex-7/11 frame (http://serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1917&page=1&pp=15) , most notably the TDF lugs and the Henry James fork crown, although mine has three eyelets on the top tube instead of two cable stops.

dave thompson
03-11-2010, 02:54 PM
As Dave Kirk said,and he should know 'cause he built the darn things, Serotta used Columbus tubing, SLX, SP and SL, and I can't find any references in any of my Serotta catalogs regarding TSX tubing.

I also believe your bike has been repainted. I've never seen any reference to that paint scheme in any Serotta literature, Serotta's were painted much differently in those days.

vjp
03-11-2010, 10:02 PM
that TSX is "rifled" the whole length of the down tube. The difference between SLX/SPX and TSX is that TSX has the rifling on the top tube ends in addition to the seat tube , down tube and chainstays.

vjp

alexstar
03-12-2010, 02:05 AM
I pulled the fork, the serial number is 90508, not 30508 as I originally thought.

alexstar
03-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Well, I emailed Serotta and got the response I expected. Oh well, it was worth a try. They did mention that an upcoming section of their website will include historical information, so hopefully that will be useful. According to the previous owner, the original owner said it's a 1988. The model is still a mystery, though, unless it's a custom bike. So I've got what appears to be a 1988 mystery Serotta, possibly refinished. The next question is, do I build it with 8-speed or 11 speed? ;)

David Kirk
03-15-2010, 03:47 PM
It has TDF lugs which at the time were only cut by Kelly. I also think that the bike was built in 1989.

I'd say it's nearly certain that it has been repainted at some point. The chance that it was built with TSX is very, very small. There is a very good chance that it's a custom as no stock bikes I can think of got TDF's.

Nice bike anyway you look at it.

Enjoy the ride.

dave

alexstar
03-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks Mr. Kirk :)

I'm tracking down the original owner, we'll see what I can find out.

alexstar
03-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Last update before I build it up - apologies if this is getting repetitive, but this frame is fascinating. My efforts to find the original owner were fruitless, but I did get a peek inside the top tube, and it is definitely rifled the entire length - therefore the tubing really is Columbus TSX. It must have been a one-off custom frame, though the geometry seems to be standard for 1989. I'm still not sure if it has been repainted, but the decals appear correct for the era, so I'll leave well enough alone and start collecting parts :beer:

Thanks again for your input, everybody. I appreciate it.