PDA

View Full Version : the jerk is here!!!

jerk
12-12-2003, 07:56 PM
the jerk is back... the forum is back....everything is right in the world......

love,
the jerk

Dr. Doofus
12-12-2003, 08:07 PM
Jerk --

The Frankfurt school? I never pictured you as the Habermas type....

Although I was heavily involved with Adorno's Aesthetic Theory for a couple of years, Levinas continues to be my focus, when I have the time....

By the way, I published an essay in Cultural Critique a few years back...if the jerk is as perceptive about theory as he is about bikes, I'd welcome the feedback....

Robert Kendrick

jerk
12-12-2003, 08:10 PM
actually, more of an adorno jerk myself.....minima moralia-reflections from a damaged life is one of the most wonderful and frighteningly poignent books ever read by the jerk. the ol'kraut really puts you in a box it's tough to get out of.....even if he did hate jazz.

dnovo
12-12-2003, 08:55 PM
Hey! My man is back. Welcome. Dave N.

gwk
12-12-2003, 09:25 PM
Welcome back jerk!! George

Ahneida Ride
12-12-2003, 09:32 PM
When I want to know what to think, the Jerk will tell me !

Welcome back Jerk

M_A_Martin
12-12-2003, 10:02 PM
My stem *is* too short...even I agree with that.

dbrk
12-12-2003, 10:54 PM
Whether or not your stem is too short, it's nearly certain that your frame is too small. Look at that seatpost, got more than a fistfull? Ha!

guess who...

no, that was too easy,

dbrk

who is very happy indeed that senor jerk is back and hopes he will find a use for some real French shellac...note that inhaling denatured alcohol while applying well-mixed shellac to cotton handlebar tape is a sure fire way to burn enough brain cells to believe that nearly everyone should ride a French bike, especially a fabled 650B...maybe we can convince Ben that the 35th Anniversary should be a 650B roughstuffer with centerpull brakes, tall frames, and long stems...maybe I should just go home and get to bed...

shinomaster
12-13-2003, 01:35 AM
I love you Jerk...:p

M_A_Martin
12-13-2003, 09:27 AM
You would approve of the size of my frame. Can't even mount the things in a work stand by the seatpost. Long legs got me a tall frame (55), long femurs cause problems with fit...and require a 90 stem (way too short)

Yes, I'm getting a custom frame this year.

dnovo
12-13-2003, 09:28 AM
Custom from whom, if one may inquire Ginger? Dave N.

M_A_Martin
12-13-2003, 09:59 AM
That is indeed the question of my day.

My dream bike was a legend Ti DKS. I had my heart set on it. That was going to be my reward for going through all of these surgeries after the accident. Unfortunately as we all know, they don't build it anymore.

And I'm not fond of the ST stay. (Not terribly fond of carbon in general so no Calfee or OttRott for me....) I ride campy record for the most part, and it is nice that I don't freeze to the shifters when I ride in the winter, but hey...

So I'm contemplating.

I will have custom lugged steel bike, It will be a Riopelle (and/or a Kirk). I'm also going to take my own shot at one, that will be fun.

I have a CSi and I love the ride of lugged steel. But I think my next bike (because Riopelle is busy, I forsee a bit of a wait on that one) will be Ti. That way I'll have all the bases covered. My EV2 is aluminum, my CSi is steel, and then a ti bike.

But which one? Probably a legend. I've been looking around and I like the looks of a Serotta better than most of the other ti bikes out there. And with the CSi I found I like the ride of a Serotta for distance. (I'm a tourist after all...but this bike wouldn't be for loaded touring, just long distance supported tours and whatnot. If I were to buy a custom for loaded touring it would probably be from IF or Bruce Gordon)

PBWrench
12-13-2003, 10:47 AM
MA -I used to own a Bruce Gordon road frame that was custom built for someone who must have looked alot like me. It was a fabulous steel ride. Incredible workmanship. I sold it to a friend to make way for a ColnagoMasterlight (now long gone). I intend to buy it back someday.