PDA

View Full Version : Measure for measure?

jpw
03-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Measure for measure and all other things being equal which material will give the most compliant and smooth road ride?

David Kirk
03-09-2010, 10:06 AM
Foam?

Dave

Climb01742
03-09-2010, 10:07 AM
astral travel.

Ray
03-09-2010, 10:19 AM
All other things are never even remotely close to equal. Hence, foam or astral travel. Or air.

-Ray

jpw
03-09-2010, 10:19 AM
This is not twitter.

Within the realm of the 'real' which material can be manipulated to produce the most compliant and smooth road ride?

David Kirk
03-09-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm afraid you are going to get nothing but sarcastic responses to this question because there is no real answer.

Take any of the popular frame materials and a builder can make a bike that is super comfy or a bike that is super harsh out of it. So in the end it comes down to what tubes the builder chooses for you.

Dave

woolly
03-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Jello. There's always room for Jello.

Pete Serotta
03-09-2010, 12:03 PM
too many variables.........some generalities and they are not always true are

aluminum you feel more of the road (no do not try for quantification.)

variables are but not limited to

road surface
tires size and type
tire pressure
wheel design and type
saddle type and postion
bar tape
and lastly - - how much red have you had prior to ride :beer:

Best advise - -go out and demo what puts a smile on your face and not too much of a drain on the wallet

This is not twitter.

Within the realm of the 'real' which material can be manipulated to produce the most compliant and smooth road ride?

goonster
03-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Measure for measure and all other things being equal which material will give the most compliant and smooth road ride?
Which wood makes the best chairs?

jpw
03-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Therefore why the carbon phenomenon of late?

Waldo
03-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Air... And not too much of it... Inside 42mm tires.

LesMiner
03-09-2010, 01:04 PM

Because its cool! How many nerd inspired engineering design things can you do with carbon? Just think of the marketing hipe that can be created? All kinds of prices points can be spread to get as much of the market as possible. All kinds of shapes and sizes with swoops and swirls. Besides you would not want to say "want to buy a plastic bike?". It can be summed up to fashion.

There are a lot of great bikes out there of every material imaginable. What about bamboo, who would of thought it could be used? You can be a serious bike rider or a bike collector which may make the difference in your choice. Dave Kirk has it right. Any material can be worked to create a great bike it depends on the skill of the one that makes it.

sg8357
03-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Air... And not too much of it... Inside 42mm tires.

I think Vlad has the answer.

Next question, what is the best media for impressionist painting ?

Jeff N.
03-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Rolls Royce. Oh! Material? Ti. Jeff N.

fiamme red
03-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Therefore why the carbon phenomenon of late?You can't do this with metal tubes.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/tech/shows/eurobike/part5/eb04-derosa1.jpg

Ray
03-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Its a little more than just cool. Given that you can build a frame to meet rider preferences out of just about any material, you might be able to do the same basic thing LIGHTER with carbon. Or aluminum. Whether that matters for the amount of weight saved is another question, but you can do a lot with carbon that you might not be able to do with metal. Like that curvy-assed De Rosa in the post above. Whether you'd want to or whether its worth the price is up to you.

-Ray

jpw
03-09-2010, 01:53 PM
You can't do this with metal tubes.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/tech/shows/eurobike/part5/eb04-derosa1.jpg

..and it looks awful.

Peter B
03-09-2010, 02:50 PM
<snip>

Or air.

-Ray

Seriously. Let 5 psi out of your tires and go ride. Or just go sit on the couch if you want really smooth and compliant.

bagochips3
03-09-2010, 02:55 PM
..and it looks awful.

+1. Makes me feel a little seasick.

palincss
03-09-2010, 02:55 PM

By far, the pneumatic tire will give a much smoother and more compliant road ride than a solid rubber, wood or steel tire. We've known this since 1887.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire#History

palincss
03-09-2010, 02:58 PM
You can't do this with metal tubes.

There ought to be a warning label on those alerting people to the hazards of leaving them inside the trunks of cars in the summer months.

retrogrouchy
03-09-2010, 03:24 PM
My goodness, is that ever unattractive! It hurts my eyes....

Ralph
03-09-2010, 03:36 PM
I do most of my daily riding on a Cannondale CAAD 5 aluminum frame and fork bike (I Hated CAAD 3 and earlier). I have a custom steel frame and fork bike (Jonathan Greene) also that's almost as light. Both bikes have identical bars, stems, and saddles. Almost identical demensions. The Cannondale has Continental Ultra Gatorskin 700X25 tires and the steel bike has slightly lighter wheels with better tires (Pro Race 2's 700X23). Both have similar equipment, and I carry a tad more tools under seat on my aluminum bike, so both weigh about the same when riding. I ride these bikes 100-125 miles per week on the roads and trails around here. (The steel bike is kinda my Sunday bike when weather is good....when I do my longest ride as well) It's probably safe to say I'm proudest of my steel bike and I love to ride it. it's so responsive and resilient. But I'm not sure I can say it rides better than the Cannondale with it's crude paint job, stuck on decals, etc.

I think Serrota Pete, Dave, and others above are exactly right. Depending on how much air I have in the tires, (I don't pump my daily bike tires every day), If you blindfolded me, except for the Pro Race tires on one of them being a tad more supple, I don't think I could tell you which one I was riding. So I agree that how a bike is made, for what use, how you set it up, which components, tires, how much air pressure, and all those variables, are more important than frame material.

Which leads me to this. I love custom steel frames. Especially ones made kinda like an European racer of a few years ago. And I really like to support these awesome tallented independent businessmen frame builders. But if I was a young racer really on a tight budget.....I don't see how you can beat a CAAD 9 from E Bay. Flame away.

RkyMtn
03-09-2010, 03:58 PM
I changed from 700x23 to 700x25 as well as finding a supple tire and it is a world of difference.