PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Handmade Bicycle Show

dbrk
03-14-2005, 08:06 AM
Hey Serottapals,
Just back from ten days on the Osa Peninusula in Costa Rica. Old school mackaws riding friction, howler monkeys yelping over the latest from Toei and those Singer and Herse auctions on eBay, and pods of dolphins (zillions of them) riding really really fast on their 650Bs...A good time was had in the rainforest talkin' up the animals about bikes and the yoga folks about, well, yoga (when I wasn't digressin' into bikes...).

I don't know if this has been mentioned here in Serottaville but the Japanese Handmade Bicycle Show in Tokyo this year has some remarkable examples, my favorites from Hiroshi, Watanabe, and Toei. You can also see Mr Nagasawa's forays into modernity. I believe the Bruce Gordon won best in show but the Hiroshi wins my own heart. Look here for the main page:
<http://www.popdan.com/hmbs05/index.php>

If this is well-known to you, my apologies for this thread's intrusion. I am largely absent. Unfortunately I will be in Costa Rica again in June during the weekend of the Serotta gathering and then teaching a week's worth of yoga in August when Dave is hosting the GdB, which I would have sorely loved to attend. I am otherwise home all summer long (well, not really, but enough...) and if anyone comes Finger Lakes-way, do write me and stop in for a ride or a look at the bikes or whatever, I'll cook curry or what's ever in the fridge (with very fond memories of Keith A's whole family here and rides on my ATV with his children to see the fireflies!) Otherwise, I will be leading out the jerk if he takes up racing again...uhhh, yeah...

See you all when you pass me by, as ever. Take care, friends!

dbrk

saab2000
03-14-2005, 09:57 AM
Nice to have you stop by!! I am still thinking of summer riding in the Finger Lakes! Take care and say "Hi" sometimes!

davids
03-14-2005, 10:14 AM
dbrk,

Always good to hear from you! Thanks for the link. The show looked... "eclectic" would be the word. From the ridiculous to the sublime: