PDA

View Full Version : Bridges win at 60 a reminder of why we should keep trying the improbable as we age

RPS
03-08-2010, 12:28 PM
I found Jeff Bridges’ win for best actor last night encouraging – his best work was rewarded at age 60. By most measures he’s had a successful career which included four previous Oscar nominations but had never won. Statistically I guess that’s understandable since Oscars are relatively rare considering the number of actors. Few actors are actually nominated and fewer still win.

This was his second nomination for leading actor. The first came back in 1984, and not for Against All Odds (maybe better known) but for playing an expressionless alien in Starman (a cool movie for its time). My point is that it was 25 years ago, when he was about 35 years old. He won last night for the first time on his fifth attempt at 60; an age I can now relate to better than 35.

Being younger than Bridges I guess I still have time to accomplish a few goals that have started to seem increasingly more improbable as of late. One is cycling across the US. I always thought riding a tandem across our nation with my wife was in my future, but now I know that’s not going to happen – that’s way beyond all odds (pun intended). However, I have no excuse to not do it solo. Statistically very few cyclist ride coast-to-coast but so what? There is time since people much older than me do it all the time.

I’m curious what “improvable” cycling goals you have and if they ever seem like they are slowly slipping away. And how do you remind yourself that it’s still not too late?

rnhood
03-08-2010, 01:38 PM
I don't necessarily think his work in Crazy Heart was his best, though it was superb - as were his performances in several other movies. I do think he has maintained his ability to act better than many, in much the same way some cyclist will maintain their abilities over longer spans.

I would also like to cycle the US, it would be great fun, educational and . There are several other cycling journies or events that I would like to accomplish (Ride the Rockies, Mythical Mountain tour in France, something in Italy, and one in South America). My problem is time. I have to work and just don't have time for these outings. So, being one year younger than Jeff my goal is to maintain my athletic shape and endurance so that I can take these seemingly elusive journies in about 5 years or so.

I do not feel there is currently any event/journey that I can't accomplish. In my cycling club we have a 70 year old who is a stronger rider than me. So I know that maintaining my health and fitness leaves me many strong years of riding ahead. I'm not worried about running out of time....yet.

Tobias
03-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Haven't seen Crazy Heart, The Blind Side, or Avatar but plan to. Won't see The Hurt Locker although I've been told it is excellent. I've seen some of Bridges movies but not most; of those I've seen he's done a good job. I enjoyed K-Pax and Blown Away, which I think his father was in. Most impressive is that he is still married to the same lady after 30 plus years. That's what is truly against all odds in Hollywood.

Regarding cycling goals, for me there is more than age that can make goals seem less attainable. I can imagine money, work, limited vacation, family responsibilities, and a bunch of other factors can limit options from time to time. I’ve wanted to travel to France, Italy, or Spain to ride for a couple of weeks but travel seems more expensive and less welcoming than ever before. Between the collapse of markets, higher costs in Europe, and the hassle of flying I’m not sure I want to at this time. I hope things change for the better over the next couple of decades but I’m not sure they will.

In the mean time I’ll look for other worthwhile cycling goals I can accomplish here in the US. Cycling Colorado and California seems promising enough for now – just need time to get there. Plus I can do it in shorter chunks of time.