PDA

View Full Version : Why so many Colnagos on the used market?

roguedog
03-07-2010, 09:26 AM
While surfing the regular places for a used frame, I keep seeing Colnagos come up. There seems to be a lot of them on the used market. I mean I see the Trek and the Specialized, etc but that's normal because there also a lot of them sold.

I guess it's odd that Colnago seems to me to be a more niche brand but there seems to be so many of them out there on the used market. Perhaps my perception is incorrect though.

Anyone have theories why?

tylercheung
03-07-2010, 09:40 AM
maybe because a lot of people who buy them are the type that absolutely has to have the newest carbon frame each year?

LegendRider
03-07-2010, 09:43 AM
While surfing the regular places for a used frame, I keep seeing Colnagos come up. There seems to be a lot of them on the used market. I mean I see the Trek and the Specialized, etc but that's normal because there also a lot of them sold.

I guess it's odd that Colnago seems to me to be a more niche brand but there seems to be so many of them out there on the used market. Perhaps my perception is incorrect though.

Anyone have theories why?

What are you seeing? C50s? older steel frames?

hookookadoo
03-07-2010, 10:18 AM

I had the same question as I was looking for a used C50(no longer) and felt they were hard to find in my size. My guess is you are seeing Colnago's spread across a wide spectrum of both years and models which is a testament to their longevity and name recognition. A 10 year old Specialized is headed for the trash heap while a 10 yr old Colnago is still marketable.

roguedog
03-07-2010, 01:26 PM

Haven't really been paying attention to models, actually, since Colnago's typically aren't my cup of tea from purely aesthetic perspective with some exceptions, of course, like the new Master Lights and the older models.

Just have been noticing that my eyes seems to be skimming a lot of them is all.

More a question of curiosity and if anyone had any thoughts around this observance.

terry
03-07-2010, 01:38 PM
because there are so many made/sold each year-precisely why i never bought one. as you can see from the classifieds here-some people have to have a new bike or two every year.

pbjbike
03-07-2010, 02:09 PM
I had the same question as I was looking for a used C50(no longer) and felt they were hard to find in my size. My guess is you are seeing Colnago's spread across a wide spectrum of both years and models which is a testament to their longevity and name recognition. A 10 year old Specialized is headed for the trash heap while a 10 yr old Colnago is still marketable.

+1
They have kept the mystique alive through the years by doing there own thing, and not being slaves to fashion trends set by others. Geometry and paint, are two unique features. Not overproducing keeps their used value high. Similar to used Leica film camera equipment IMO. There may be more on the market with the economy struggling, as it's a sure way to raise funds and not lose too much on your initial investment.

spacemen3
03-07-2010, 02:44 PM
There certainly does seem to be a lot of them for sale on eBay, which makes me wonder if they really are that rare. Then again they always fetch more money than they appear they're worth, so maybe that makes it easier for sellers to part with them.

don'TreadOnMe
03-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Where? Anything w/great pricing, b/c I can't find'em.
(55 trad. or 52 sloping)...
:-)

Marcusaurelius
03-07-2010, 04:50 PM
There are a lot of new colnago bikes sold at the local dealer and many are sold after just a year or two of use. I suspect this is true everywehere.

caleb
03-07-2010, 05:18 PM
In addition to what's been said above, if you buy a Colnago by head tube and top tube length as has become the new standard your Colnago will be too big and will feel like a truck. They're designed for a ton of setback and a long stem to handle properly.

My hunch is that lots of guys buy them, set them up with a zero offset post and 100mm stem, and then sell them because they feel sluggish. There is a wrong way to set these up and it's how a large part of their market wants to ride a bike.

Jeff N.
03-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Of all those used 'Nagos out there, not even ONE is my size. :crap: Jeff N.

Keith A
03-07-2010, 06:50 PM
:-)I think you hit one of the issues which is "great pricing". I see a number of these for sale, but often at pretty high prices like $3k for a frame and fork.

BTW, isn't a 56 traditional closer to the 52 sloping?

thwart
03-07-2010, 07:23 PM
In addition to what's been said above, if you buy a Colnago by head tube and top tube length as has become the new standard your Colnago will be too big and will feel like a truck. They're designed for a ton of setback and a long stem to handle properly.

My hunch is that lots of guys buy them, set them up with a zero offset post and 100mm stem, and then sell them because they feel sluggish. There is a wrong way to set these up and it's how a large part of their market wants to ride a bike.Exactly. Fitting Colnagos is apparently a tricky business. Bad fit = no magic.

Elefantino
03-07-2010, 07:27 PM
I had to have one.

Bought one.

Thought I'd love it.

Didn't.

Sold it to Dave T.

He sold it, too.

SoCalSteve
03-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Of all those used 'Nagos out there, not even ONE is my size. :crap: Jeff N.

This one is your size (and it may be for sale soon) (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=669825&postcount=1)

ciclisto
03-07-2010, 11:25 PM
spot on about the fit i have a C50 four years old,, 15k miles on it and when first set up I correctly bought the smaller of two usable sizes, but had the seat and stem wrong.. when corrected with a 130mm stem all was magic for me. I met Ernesto Colnago last year with my bike present and he checked my fit and explained his hanging off both ends theory to achieve his "ferrari" like handling. I use a 57 with only a 55.6 TT all my other bikes including a custom have a 56.5 TT. As for more Colnagos for sale , I think because they have sold way more in the last two years. Many many more dealers. Also the new CX 1 and EPS are very much improvements over say my C 50 and the others . Whereas in the past he stuck with models a little longer. The new models I mentioned are well reviewed by owners but some just don't like the bikes,, either the paint, although they have plain paintjobs, or they think they are overpriced,, that is a matter of debate,, they are very well finished and only compare to Time in that area. But to each his own that's why there are so many bikes..The new masters are drool worthy

r_mutt
03-08-2010, 11:05 AM

My hunch is that lots of guys buy them, set them up with a zero offset post and 100mm stem, and then sell them because they feel sluggish. There is a wrong way to set these up and it's how a large part of their market wants to ride a bike.

i thought that this was disproved? is this still true?

oldguy00
03-08-2010, 11:52 AM
i thought that this was disproved? is this still true?

A lot of it was based on a 'review' done by a shop online (Bike Sport Michigan I think...)...
Colnago's have a slightly steeper seat angle (at least in some sizes), which in theory could allow you to use a shorter TT with slightly more saddle set back.

I have a 54 traditional geo Extreme Power, which is 52c-c seat tube, 54 c-c tt.
I find it fits me pretty similar to '54' Cannondales, but with a slacker head tube making for a very smooth predictable ride.
If you like a faster handling bike, something like a Cervelo might serve you better.

There is no magic or tricky geometry, just very high quality construction and very smooth riding geometry. Like any other bike, it is a good idea to throw a leg over it to make sure you get the sizing right. And that is another nice thing about Colnago, they still make so many sizes.

bluesea
03-08-2010, 01:01 PM
A lot of it was based on a 'review' done by a shop online (Bike Sport Michigan I think...)...

Bogus info. IIRC he got his theories all mixed up, which ended up recommending pushing the saddle all the way forward on its rails.

pdbrye
03-08-2010, 01:06 PM
What happened to "died and gone to heaven"? Just wondering...

This one is your size (and it may be for sale soon) (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=669825&postcount=1)

victork
03-08-2010, 06:45 PM
These seem hard to come by though.

Dekonick
03-08-2010, 09:39 PM
My neighbor just bought one for $800 with campy 9 speed. (mix of record and chorus) My guess is it is a 1999-2001 frame - looks good, but not my cup of tea. I think he found a good buy, but nothing fantastic. I would much rather have a CSI or IF. They just have good marketing. Kinda like a Rolex v.s. Patek... not everyone knows a Patek but it is the better watch.

:beer:

roguedog
03-08-2010, 10:37 PM
:-)

here ya go...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Colonago-C-50-2009-55cm-Campy-Chorus-11-Only-40-mi_W0QQitemZ150421444539QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRoad_Bi kes?hash=item2305d117bb#ht_2589wt_939

bicycletricycle
03-08-2010, 11:09 PM
It was just a little too short in the headtube for me

RkyMtn
03-09-2010, 01:38 AM
Being a racer in high school, I spent way too much time reading Bicycling Magazine, Velo News,... as my roommate was a bike nut and we'd talk for hours about bikes and parts. I drooled over the 1995 Bianchi SLX with Campy Record in it's glorious Celest green paint. Uhhhhh!

So, the Master X-Light purchase was a chase of that out-of-the-budget dream: a lovely, silky, lugged ride that would bring back the ride of the 1980's super racers. The Master X-Light certainly succeeded. It does have a lovely balance of silky ride and lateral stiffness. There is some torque flex from HT to the ST, but I've done hill sprints on it to see what it would do and I can't complain. Shot right up under my weight and power. And it looks pretty.

I would imaging that many others who buy Colnagos might be doing the same thing. It likely is not a purchase to be the only bike of the owner. After some time, the spare bikes get sold for a custom Argonaut, a carbon something-or-other, a used Pegoretti,... I think that people ride their Colnago's, but take care of the frame. So, I think of the Colnagos (especially the Master X-Lights) as the #2, #3... bike in the inventory. So, it is definitely a good bike to resell, as the value retention seems to be very good on these. And how many years do you see these frames going back in time for sale? Many!

So, all that is my opinion as to the appearance of many Colnagos for sale. Maybe the universe is telling you to get one,... NOW!

Cheers,

Eric

bluesea
03-09-2010, 05:02 AM
^^ Reparto Corse frames. I seem to remember there might have been two--one lugged and the other was possible TIGed. That was my last great opp to get a Celeste bike, but already had pulled the trigger on a Ritchey Road Logic equipped with 2nd iteration Campy Record Ergo.

The vertical compliance on that Ritchey reminded of an 80's SL frame, yet it was stiffer in the right places.

Keith A
03-09-2010, 09:34 AM
here ya go...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Colonago-C-50-2009-55cm-Campy-Chorus-11-Only-40-mi_W0QQitemZ150421444539QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRoad_Bi kes?hash=item2305d117bb#ht_2589wt_939Not exactly a great price at $8K for the "Buy It Now" :eek:

SoCalSteve
03-09-2010, 11:18 AM
What happened to "died and gone to heaven"? Just wondering...

Its an amazing bike, I'm just thinking about having less bikes (down to 5 now). In the end, unless I get a pretty great price for it, I wouldn't sell.

Just sayin'

Steve

oldguy00
03-09-2010, 11:46 AM
I had my EP posted in the classifieds (still there I suppose), in a size that is relatively hard to find on ebay (54cm traditional). Not sure why, but it took me 6 months to score a used one on Ebay.
I priced it $300 less than I paid, $1800 US, and I had no bites, so have decided to keep it and try to sell my 2009 Giant instead (also somewhere in the classifieds). Love both bikes, just can't afford to keep both.

MattTuck
03-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Not to be pedantic about it, but the reason you see so many for sale is because the supply and demand are not balanced. There may be a market clearing price, but it would seem few transactions are happening. It sounds like most sellers (the supply) are asking too much, and most buyers (the demand) are willing to pay a lower amount.

Ahhh, economics at work.

Keith A
03-24-2010, 09:43 AM
We were talking about the pricing of Colnago's and I noticed that a 58cm C-50 went for cheap on eBay. This frame, fork, seatpost and headset sold for $1,131 plus shipping and it was reported to be in excellent condition...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120545363923&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1157

In contrast to this 59cm C-50 that went for $4020. This was a complete bike with 7800 series Dura-Ace and Ksyrium SL wheels.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280479450155&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1157

Keith A
03-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Off course then you have this guy who is asking $50K for this bike :rolleyes:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Colnago-Forever-Extreme-Power-Complete-Bike-52-CM-RARE_W0QQitemZ190383254566QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRoad_ Bikes?hash=item2c53b9ec26#ht_743wt_1140

caleb
03-24-2010, 01:33 PM
We were talking about the pricing of Colnago's and I noticed that a 58cm C-50 went for cheap on eBay. This frame, fork, seatpost and headset sold for $1,131 plus shipping and it was reported to be in excellent condition...

$1100 is still a lot of money to put down on something used with no warranty.

Here's another way to think about the issue. Buyers of used goods are looking for something pretty cheap and are usually open to similar substitutes. Colnago owners spent huge money for their new bikes and don't want to sell used for 25% of retail. So the sellers ask too much and their potential buyers end up with something else.

The Colnagos sit on the market. The next generation of sellers prices their bikes off the ones currently on the market (that aren't selling) and the cycle is renewed.

Relatedly, eBay would be so much more interesting if all auctions started at a dollar with no reserve. I might even participate occasionally. As it is, it's not much different than any other classifieds listing.

soulspinner
03-24-2010, 01:41 PM
I got rid of my masterlite for two reasons. First was no matter how I set it up, wth a 43 rake and 71.8 head tube, it was slower turning in than I like. Way too much trail. Second was I thought the steel chromed fork transmitted too much vibration. Sure was pretty though.

legacysti888
03-24-2010, 06:01 PM
I got rid of my masterlite for two reasons. First was no matter how I set it up, wth a 43 rake and 71.8 head tube, it was slower turning in than I like. Way too much trail. Second was I thought the steel chromed fork transmitted too much vibration. Sure was pretty though.

I love the front end. Uber stable. A crit bike it is not.

+1 on the chrome fork. I have both forks and prefer the carbon on my xlite.

I love the xlite so much I have 2. To each his own... :beer:

Peter P.
03-24-2010, 06:09 PM

I find caleb's comments about Colnago fit interesting. It sounds like what he's saying is you have to modify your bike position to suit the Colnago so it will handle "correctly". I was under the impression my contact points on a bike should be the same regardless of the frame's design.

And soulspinner-a 43mm rake on a 71.8 degree head angle certainly results in lots of trail. 50-52mm would have been more suitable to that head angle. Did you try more rake before giving up on the bike?

soulspinner
03-25-2010, 05:11 AM
I find caleb's comments about Colnago fit interesting. It sounds like what he's saying is you have to modify your bike position to suit the Colnago so it will handle "correctly". I was under the impression my contact points on a bike should be the same regardless of the frame's design.

And soulspinner-a 43mm rake on a 71.8 degree head angle certainly results in lots of trail. 50-52mm would have been more suitable to that head angle. Did you try more rake before giving up on the bike?

I didnt and perhaps a new fork in carbon with a 50 or so would have done it. Its still in the family-maybe I can get it back, especially since I hear its gathering dust... :)

r_mutt
03-25-2010, 07:51 AM
caleb's comments were based mostly by 1 review written by a colnago "fit expert" in michigan which have been debunked since they were written some years ago.

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/colnago.shtml

Dave
03-25-2010, 08:05 AM
The BikeSport review is good for a laugh. Colnago's have relatively long front-centers that places less weight on the front, so you don't need a lot of setback to make that situation even worse. I would use the same saddle setback, regardless of the frame's geometry.

A long stem does nothing for the weight balance and makes the steering slower, if anything. In the smaller 53-54cm sizes that I ride, the reach on the frame is not particularly short and would not justify a longer stem either.

Colangos do tend to have more steering trail, but it's all a matter of what you get used to. On a technical mountain descent, you just have to remember how the bike steers and maintain a constant push on the right side of the bar to keep turning right. If you let up, any bike will quit turning, but a Colnago will straigten up more quickly. If you don't pay attention, it's easy to drift toward the centerline. I do prefer less trail, but not a lot less. In my small frame size, the 72 degree HTA and 43mm rake I have works great.

johnnymossville
03-25-2010, 08:13 AM
If anyone sees a colnago, any year, in 54cm for under $200 pm me. :beer:

purplecu22
03-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Funny how there is so much "Love/Hate" for this brand. I own two. They are their own thing. Just like ducati motorcycles, Colonago's has very stable steering. Some love it some hate it.

Keith A
03-25-2010, 10:09 AM
I've been riding a sloping C-50 for about 1.5 years and on my first ride of this bike, I thought...whoa, this is different and I wasn't sure I was going to like it or not. The front end does handle noticeably different then anything I've been on in the past and I'm used to bikes with steeper headtube angles and with forks that have either 40mm or 43mm offsets. However, I knew from the start that it felt rock solid at higher speeds and it was the lower speeds that it felt a bit odd.

Even after my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, ..., nth rides, it still felt different and the jury was still out whether this was a keeper or not. At some point (I don't know when), I started feeling at home on the bike and I don't notice the difference anymore. I will often commute in on my CSi which has a 73.5º HTA and a 43mm offset fork and will immediately hop on the Colnago (which is often at my office) for some extra miles and not think twice about the difference in handling.

If I had my preference, would I change the front end on the Colnago to have a steeper HTA....maybe. But I am now perfectly happy with the way it handles.

Keith A
03-25-2010, 10:12 AM
BTW, he's a picture of my C-50...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=53139&stc=1

johnnymossville
03-25-2010, 10:14 AM
you guys are really making me want to take one for a ride now to see what's up?

Keith A
03-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Johnny -- If you are ever on the Space Coast of Florida, you are welcome to come take mine for a spin (it's a 52s).