PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bunion surgery questions

Matthew
03-06-2010, 09:53 PM
My wife has had surgery on both feet for bunions. She has had the pins removed and is now just starting to walk a bit but is very discouraged with how things are progressing. She has very little movement in her big toes we believe from the adjustments made to her ligaments during the surgery. She basically can't move these toes up or down or make a gripping action. She has just started therapy and an exercise they gave her was to pick up marbles with her toes and release them a foot or so to the side and repeat the process with the other foot. She has so little movement with the big and second toes that she cannot do this exercise at all. Is this normal for a while and do you have any advice/suggestions on things she can do to improve this mobility? She is a competitive beach volleyball player and right now she does not feel she will be able to play at a competitive level for a while if at all. She is very very frustrated and feels helpless. Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated. Anyone had this surgery and can speak from experience? Thanks, Matthew.

DavidR
03-06-2010, 10:45 PM
My mother had the surgery on one of her feet about a year and a half ago. The recovery for her was quicker than I thought but still long and painfull. That seems to be what i have heard from many people. I would like to have mine done but the recovery and what they tell you to be off your feet does not work with my current employment or probally anyones.

Good luck and tell your wife to take it easy don't rush it.

Blue Jays
03-06-2010, 10:52 PM
When was the surgery and how long has she been post-op?

Matthew
03-06-2010, 11:10 PM
She had her right foot done in october, the left the end of december. The right foot required two surgeries to her second toe due to a "hammer toe." She just had that pin removed last week. She really has not been able to do much in the way of rehab until now because of basically having two surgeries close together. Matthew