PDA

View Full Version : On the road again

dekindy
03-06-2010, 08:32 AM
I went out with a small group on Thursday evening and the closest LBS started their weekend early morning rides today, Saturday. It was difficult to get motivated because I have been riding the trainer consistently and the whole idea, for me at least, of riding outdoors in Winter is to make Winter seem shorter. Since Spring is just around the corner I was almost content to wait so I did not have to deal with all the clothing and preparation required. It is a real hassle. However, I am glad that I did made the effort. It was so nice to be outside. This morning was special because the Sun was shining. We have had overcast skies for much longer than I care to remember.

TAW
03-06-2010, 09:37 AM
This was the first week I got to ride two days in a row outside. I really, really hate the cold, but it is so much better riding outdoors. I never feel like I get a "genuine ride" when I'm indoors. :)

ZippRider
03-06-2010, 10:30 AM
I am more then ready to get out and ride. The spouse and I have a couple guys come over to ride trainers 3 days a week and it is starting to wear out it's welcome. Would have got out today but we have company coming in from out of town at noon. Oh well, it wiil not be long now.

dekindy
03-07-2010, 03:15 PM
The rain held off until late afternoon today so I got in a great ride. Lightweight balaclava, gloves, long sleeve lightweight jersey, tights, and shoe covers and I was perfect. Great ride that started in sunshine but finished under clouds. The first drops of rain hit as I was parking the car in the garage at home. It is supposed to rain this week so we will see how it goes. Daylight savings time begins next weekend and my Tuesday and Thursday training begins that week and the weekend ride schedule begins the following weekend. It is great to be out on the bike and see other cyclists on the road. Yeah!

ZippRider
03-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Got in a ride today as well. Started with a cloudy sky and finished in sprinkles..

dekindy, where are you doing your Tuesday / Thursday training rides?

Be Safe...

jlwdm
03-07-2010, 03:52 PM
....Since Spring is just around the corner I was almost content to wait so I did not have to deal with all the clothing and preparation required. It is a real hassle.

Due to the cold winter in Dallas I rode in colder weather than I am used to - generally low 40s and the Super Bowl ride started at 38 degrees. Once I figured out what clothes to wear for different temps I found it not to be a hassle at all. Well worth it to ride outside.

Today it has rained all day and I went out for 23 miles in the rain. Wet, but fun.

Jeff

rwsaunders
03-07-2010, 04:13 PM
The roads are dry and the sun is out in the 'Burgh. It's hard to emulate the hills on my trainer, but I felt pretty good and enjoyed the dose of vitamin D. When passing other cyclists on the road this weekend, all salutations were robust and enthusiastic. Perhaps Spring is really around the corner?

rugbysecondrow
03-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Had two great rides this weekend.

Sat was a nice base ride with Dekonick which had a little bit of adventure when he offered his assistance (as a Fireman/paramedic) to the scene of an accident where there on-duty first responders had yet to arrive.

Sundays ride was slated for the NCR Trail with PAMTBRIDER, but we were snowed out, luckily my wife didn't answer her cell phone so I was able to use that as an excuse for a pit stop which resulted in a good 1.5 hour fixed ride.

I must say, I like seeing all the riders out, but I had the same feeling that I have annually Jan 1 at the Gym...

Cheers

terry
03-07-2010, 05:10 PM
[so I did not have to deal with all the clothing and preparation]

i don't get what the big deal is here. just put on a few layers and booties, maybe a balaclava and head out. outside is "always' bettere than a friggin'
windtrainor.....

giverdada
03-07-2010, 05:21 PM
this weekend, the weather has been amazing. it also coincides with the huge bike show that ran friday to today, so it was all about bikes, all the time. although i remain skeptical, i feel a whole lot of optimism about spring finally maybe actually being here.

i hate the trainer.

i've only been on one once when it didn't feel like an absolute torture session of boredom (probably i've never gone hard enough except for that one time), and that 'once' was an extremely difficult first-time experience at a spin class, hooked up to a computrainer and watching my watts with gritted teeth. the rest of the time, it's all i can do to not get off after 5 minutes of blank wall boredom. no man can eat fifty eggs...

so today i hit the spit, a nice long traffic (car) free area of mostly rideable pavement and lots of birdwatchers. it was glorious. really windy. kinda salty. some sandy bits. and best of all - it was OUTSIDE. amazing. i didn't go far or long or all that hard, but i reveled in being outside and feeling sunshine and having to drink because i was thirsty and hot. awesome. i hope the sun shines for the rest of you. it feels like it's been way too long a time coming.

n.

ps. do you wave to other riders as you pass? i wave or give the nod to just about everyone (first lap around anyway) and NO ONE ever waves back. one guy did, back on new year's day, but i haven't seen anyone since. what's with the roadie attitude?

rugbysecondrow
03-07-2010, 05:31 PM
ps. do you wave to other riders as you pass? i wave or give the nod to just about everyone (first lap around anyway) and NO ONE ever waves back. one guy did, back on new year's day, but i haven't seen anyone since. what's with the roadie attitude?

I was thinking this today as I passed many guys (and gals) who were too cool for school. I almost always wave and I rarely get a wave or even acknowledgement of it. This goes against my midwestern upbringing where waving is polite and not waving is an insult. When I first moved into my neighborhood, I said hello to a guy as we passed each other (5 feet) he looked right at me, stared blankly and walked on by...that would have caused a minor fight in my hometown.

This might sounds bad, but I think most cyclists are rude once they hop on a bike, at least until they need a pump or a CO2 cartridge. :)

weisan
03-07-2010, 05:35 PM
totally unbelievable. we were in the high 60s in St. Louis over the last two days. Unfortunately, I did not get to ride because of various reasons but boy, the steely grips of winter has finally gave way to the clear air of Spring. :beer:

huebar
03-07-2010, 07:09 PM
totally unbelievable. we were in the high 60s in St. Louis over the last two days. Unfortunately, I did not get to ride because of various reasons but boy, the steely grips of winter has finally gave way to the clear air of Spring. :beer:
+1, man NYC wether been terrible, but now the spring is coming, best time to ride!

dekindy
03-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Got in a ride today as well. Started with a cloudy sky and finished in sprinkles..

dekindy, where are you doing your Tuesday / Thursday training rides?

Be Safe...

CIBA training ride at Potter's Bridge.

dekindy
03-07-2010, 08:27 PM
[so I did not have to deal with all the clothing and preparation]

i don't get what the big deal is here. just put on a few layers and booties, maybe a balaclava and head out. outside is "always' bettere than a friggin'
windtrainor.....

The first winter I rode outside there were only six weeks that were too icy and snowy to ride. Last year it was 8 weeks and this year it had been 13 weeks since it was nice enough to go outside. That's the big deal. 13 weeks is 25% of the year. It makes for a long Winter.

KeithS
03-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Crocus are greening up on the south side of the house.

We still have lots of snow on the ground, but losing an inch or two every day. Roads still have all the flotsum and jetsum of the winter. We need rain to make is safe to take out the road bike. I saw a lot of riders out this weekend we were in the mid to upper 40's. I am so sick of the trainer.

My bike is on a brown truck on it's way to Florida, I'm meeting it in Naples this Friday. By the time I'm back it'll be outdoor riding weather.

Jack Brunk
03-07-2010, 09:20 PM
4 awesome days mountain biking in Sedona Az. over 14 hours of epic single track slick rock riding. I'm offically cooked but it feels so good. SOmething special about riding in the "Vortex"