PDA

View Full Version : Boston Bike Show

davids
03-13-2005, 09:19 AM
I went, I enjoyed, I came home... My daughter came along with me, and I think she had as much fun as I did. She concentrated on collecting swag and drinking her "foot-made" smoothie (from a pedal-operated blender). I talked with the good folks from Serotta, Seven, IF, Wheelworks, IBC, and Dirt Rag.

Serotta had a nice handful of bikes there, including a prototype Ottrot (I wouldn't have recoginized it as such unless I was told) and lots of colorful tubes. The three bikes that had me drooling, though, were a stunning pea-green/white/Ti Seven Alta, a lovely silver Peter Mooney lugged frame, and the Pegoretti Duende. There was a very cool Parlee set up with aero bars, too, buried in a rack of other Wheelworks bikes.

There were a whole bunch of tandems, too, including a Ti/Carbon from Santana that bore more than a passing resemblence to a double Ottrot. I picked up some of Santana's literature, and have been giving myself a little education on the particulars of tandeming. Just so I know...

I spent some time talking with the Serotta and Seven folks, but (no offense, James) they were marketing folks, not the designers. Nice conversations, but I didn't get the deep insider knowledge I was craving... :rolleyes:

It was raining when I arrived, and snowing by the time I left. There's a few new inches on the ground here in town, but I the tempurature's climbing... Time to get the studded tires off the mountain bike, and pray for dry roads!

Climb01742
03-13-2005, 09:39 AM
david, what made the pegoretti duende stand out for you? thanks.

BumbleBeeDave
03-13-2005, 10:34 AM
<< . . . and drinking her "foot-made" smoothie>>

Perhaps yet another customer for Sandy’s budding foot massage concession? ;)

BBDave

davids
03-13-2005, 11:11 AM
david, what made the pegoretti duende stand out for you? thanks.
Based on the description of the bike, it's always seemed to me like the perfect Pegoretti for me- Slightly softer in the rear than the Marcelo. It jumped out at me when I first learned about the Peg model line, and I was disappointed that it never made it to the US. I'm happy that it's being imported now, and can't wait to try one out.

The bike that IBC displayed was really nicely set up, and that acid yellow paint scheme, with the hand-painted lines and dots, was archetypical Dario - cheeky and fun. The bike just seemed to want to go out and play. Or maybe that was just me... ;)

BumbleBeeDave
03-13-2005, 03:41 PM
. . . because I’ve heard that Dario is a one man shop, but I have also seen a bewildering array of model names from him. Does he just change model names often, or does he have a whole staff building frames, like Serotta does?

BBDave

jerk
03-13-2005, 04:42 PM
he has a bunch of models, but doesn't do everything himself. his brother works there too and he's got another guy there helping out too last the jerk heard. dario does the welding and obviously designs the bikes. that being said, pegoretti doesn't do a ton of frames in volume although they do have many models and there aren't really "stock" bikes. each is made to order even if it is not made to measure...dario has access to alot of tubing and builds bikes for many different disciplines and riders...know what the jerk means?
jerk

Ti Designs
03-13-2005, 05:47 PM
I talked with the good folks from Serotta, Seven, IF, Wheelworks, IBC, and Dirt Rag.

That would explain why I wasn't there, they only sent the good folks...