PDA

View Full Version : Dry rot on Michelin Pro 3's

elcolombiano
03-03-2010, 09:56 PM
I have not used my wheels with Michelin Pro 3's in about 6 months. The tires are about a year old. The rubber now shows cracks in many places on the tread and side walls. I can under stand an old tire that is all cracked, but one that is 1 year old! The wheels are stored in a spare bedroom away from any furnaces or motors. I called Michelin and they told me to mail them the tires to have them inspected. I could not find any warranty information on their web site.

Don49
03-03-2010, 10:37 PM
I used to store my bulk purchased spare tubes in the refrigerator, really seemed to preserve them well. Might also work for tires but not recommended if you're married.

tim11
03-03-2010, 10:54 PM
I've recently had the exact same problem with some Hutchinsons. Probably less than 1,500 miles on them. Best I can figure, tires these days are crap.

false_Aest
03-03-2010, 11:29 PM
i think Zinn mentioned something in an article about ozone and non-use.

something someting about non-use keeping the good stuff inside, inside so the outside dries out and goes gross.

zinn did mention tires in plastic bags w/out air, in the dark, away from heat. i put my tires right next to my "special" magazines.

false_Aest
03-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Stolen from VeloNews

Dear Lennard,
I have known people that have road bicycle spare tires in their garage for more than two years. Also, I have a nine-year-old Nokian studded tire on the front of my mountain bike for snowy/icy conditions.

I have a pair of Michelin Pro Race tires that have been in my garage for four or five years, and have only been pulled out of their boxes a few times. Although they have not been exposed to sunlight, I am concerned about the pressurizing these tires to 115-120 psi considering that they may have dried out.

Are they safe, or should I throw them away?
Wade

Dear Wade,
The nylon casing fibers are unlikely, if shielded from light, to be degraded with age (like old cotton or silk tubulars could be). So from a safety perspective, I doubt they would burst suddenly.

That said, the rubber itself is sure to be not as good as it was because latex (natural rubber) quickly degrades when exposed to ultraviolet light and to ozone. To protect against UV, you need to keep the tires out of the light or put some kind of sunscreen on them. Ozone, however, is a different matter. Rubber generally has wax in it to block ozone. As the tire flexes, it pushes wax to the surface. But when the tire does not move, the wax on the surface is used up and none comes from deeper down to replace it. This is why the tread of the tires on your relatives’ bikes is cracked, even though the tires have very little mileage on them and have simply been sitting in the garage for years without moving.

A little bit of use, and that would not have happened. So, if you want to store tires for a long time, I recommend using a treatment like 303 Aerospace Protectant to protect from ozone (and from UV, if you leave the tires where light can hit them).

Being a kayaker, I depend on this 303 stuff to keep the latex neck and wrist gaskets of my dry top from cracking. It works so well at that I started using it on tires I store and have been equally pleased with the results.
Lennard

elcolombiano
03-04-2010, 12:27 AM
I got a puncture in one of my tubulars. I cut the stitching and pulled 6" of tube out. I did not finish the patch job. I looked at the tire 6 months latter and the exposed section of the latex tube was brittle and cracked.

Ray
03-04-2010, 02:50 AM
Jeez, I've got a bunch of old Michelin Pro Race tires from close to ten years ago that I bought on closeout. I've been working my way through them slowly, but every time I put on a new tire, they still seem just fine. I've stored them in my basement, which is usually dark, usually cool, usually a little damp. Can the rubber used in tires have gotten that much worse? Or better (maybe better rubber has a shorter shelf life)?

-Ray

Erik.Lazdins
03-04-2010, 05:53 AM
Jeez, I've got a bunch of old Michelin Pro Race tires from close to ten years ago that I bought on closeout. I've been working my way through them slowly, but every time I put on a new tire, they still seem just fine. I've stored them in my basement, which is usually dark, usually cool, usually a little damp. Can the rubber used in tires have gotten that much worse? Or better (maybe better rubber has a shorter shelf life)?

-Ray

Ditto here , still have a couple p2rs left that have been hanging in my garage - each time I mount a new one, they are fine..

I hope the p3 is as good, but threads like this raise doubts
"oh the p3 cuts up easier" "not as comforatable" "it rots out" if the p3 really is worse why did Michelin release it?

Mikej
03-04-2010, 08:19 AM
One additional note on ozone - we have found through testing (and for those in the know) that electric motors produce ozone (and deteriorate certain types of gaskets / seals)- motors such as the ones in your furnace and washer / dryer / dehumidifier / fans in the basement. SO, if you have your gear around these, every time the thing kicks in you get a little wiff of ozone - sorta like on "A CHRISTMAS STORY" when the tree light blow a fuse and Ralphie says - "a quick wiff of ozone"

JStonebarger
03-04-2010, 08:39 AM
I wonder if the thick coating on completely new tires preserves them better -- ProRaces are covered with the stuff before use.

SEABREEZE
03-04-2010, 08:54 AM
From false alerts post sounds like the key to longevity is alittle lubricant, much like tire dressing, to keep them lubricated..

Theres a new one , keep your tires lubricated. Who would of ever thought...

Wilkinson4
03-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Thumbs up on the 303. I use it on my tires, my car, anything you want to protect. Sunscreen for your tires.

Ken Robb
03-04-2010, 09:30 AM
I never heard of 303 until now and it sounds like I need some. FWIW tire experts have told me that Armorall and other "tire dressings" that car washes use will make the rubber shiny but also remove some of the additives the tire company used to preserve the tire.

BumbleBeeDave
03-04-2010, 09:35 AM
. . . of ArmorAll also protect them if you put it on when you hang them up for the winter?

BBD

William
03-04-2010, 09:40 AM
. . . of ArmorAll also protect them if you put it on when you hang them up for the winter?

BBD

It might help, but I bet it will make them slick as all get out on a smooth surface.

William

GregL
03-04-2010, 10:29 AM
I wonder if something like this would help:

http://www.soloperformance.com/Formula-V-Traction-Treatment-_p_303.html

I recall this stuff being used effectively when I used to compete in autocrosses. I wonder if it would be applicable to bicycle tires too?

Regards,
Greg