PDA

View Full Version : Stella Azzura Tirreno vs Winwood Road scholar

Tmogul
03-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Hi,

I've heard these bars are from the same taiwan factory and that they are the exact same bar but winwood costs half the price. Anybody with a winwood road scholar bar care to comment on quality? Also I noticed the top flat section sweeps back a few degrees. Do the drops angle inward or are they parallel or even flared? I personally don't care for an inward angle in the drops like those FSA K-wings. There seems to be a few companies using this exact same shape of bar. Thanks again for any info.

Cincy2
03-13-2005, 07:01 AM
I read that when Stella Azzura contracted with a Taiwan shop to build the bars they didn't buy the mold. This left the company free to sell to anyone. I bought a Winwood bar and can't find any quality issues with it. The drops flare out slightly which I find very comfortable. The bar shape makes it almost impossible to mount a computer however. I found somthing called a Check Point by Cinelli that screws to your stem by replacing a screw in the front plate works fine. They are hard to find but but work nicely.

Tmogul
03-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Awsome a winwood user. I just found out about these recently and was hoping somebody was using them here. I'm gald they flare out. I also read the flats are 2cm narrower than the drops? No forearm banging the tops when your in the drops right? Do the drops feel pretty deep and do they feel like the ritchey's with that little bump (which I don't particularly care for)? Also are you saying you can't fit the housing for a flight deck right next to the stem clamp? Also the winwood doesn't seem to have the roughened edges for hoods and stem clamps. Any problems with slippage? They are stiff right?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. Its just been hard to find any info on these bars which sound like a great deal. I wish I could just get my hands on one but alas I'm left to hearing about it from users like yourself. thanks ahead of time for any additional info.

Cincy2
03-13-2005, 01:44 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words. As you can see in the attachment, it would be difficult to attach a computer holder to the bars even right at the stem. I tried it with my Cateye Wireless 7 and it just wouldn't sit right. You may have an easier time with other mounts, you'll just have to try it to see.

I have no trouble with the drops in any way. They are full anatomic which means you get the "bump". I've had other anatomic bars but I like the position of the bump (close to bar end) on the Winwood better.

This bar is VERY stiff. You are correct there was no roughed up area for hood clamps but I have had no problem with slippage. I used a torque wrench on the stem bolts and was surprised how little force held them in place. Controlling the torque is a good idea with all carbon bars. The manufacturer has recommendations sent with the bar.

Hope this anwers all your questions. Take the plunge.... Life is too short.

Tmogul
03-13-2005, 05:14 PM
You're awsome man. Thanks so much for that pic. It is worth a thousand words. I guess it also depends on the clamp width of stem. I'm going to be using a thomson x2. Have you tried the 3t biomorphe bar? Shallower drop but really nice holds molded in. However from what I can see your bar seems more "hefty" so to speak for bigger guys which is what I need. Thanks again for all the great info.

SoCalSteve
03-13-2005, 10:44 PM
I have one on my Fondriest Carbon Lex. Nice bar and yes, 1/2 the price for the identical item...Makes you wonder, doesnt it?

I am not so sure I like this bar over more normal shaped bars. Still getting used to it after 500 or so miles. I guess after riding with normal bars for thousands of miles, anything different might take a bit of getting used to.

Good luck!

Steve

Tmogul
03-14-2005, 01:13 AM
hey socalsteve,

Could you comment on what you specifically might not like about the bar? Is it really the exact same shape as the Tirreno? I saw pics of it at pezcyclingnews and the center round portions for the clamps seems longer which would allow for a computer mount. However looking at the pic here there seems to be no room at all. The rearward sweep on the tops seems greater too on the winwood pictured here. Hmmm. What stem do you use and would you know the clamp width in millimeters?

Cincy2
curious as to your stem clamp width too?

You just can't experiment with these expensive bars at least in my case. Thanks again

quattro
03-14-2005, 06:33 AM
I have been thinking of getting a pair of the 3t Biomorphe to use with a 26.0 stem. I have not seen another pair of shaped carbonfiber bars that are made in a 26.0, everything has gone 31.8 these days. Is anyone riding the 3t Biomorphe? How do you like them. I'm particularly interested in the comfort while riding on the brake hoods. Does anyone know if the Winwood, or any other shaped CF bar comes in a 26.0? I know the FSA K-Wing does not. Anyway, if I onsider changing to a 31.8, where can I get the Winwood bars, are they available from an e-bay seller? Direct? Thanks

SoCalSteve
03-14-2005, 09:23 AM
I just dont like the shape as much as normal, round bars. Maybe I'm just old fashioned....

Nothing specifically, just a personal preference, I guess.

Good luck,

Steve

Tmogul
03-14-2005, 09:33 AM
thanks socalsteve

Quattro
Easton makes 26.0 carbon bars. I'm sure there are others out there too. Check speedgoat's site. They have a bunch listed with pics and dimensions.

Cincy2
03-14-2005, 05:34 PM
TMOGUL,

I'm using a Bontrager x-lite OS with a 1 and 5/8ths clamp width.

imm
06-29-2007, 10:46 PM
FWIW: I have... errr... HAD the Tirreno's for the past 3 years. Fortunately, I checked them just now while doing some other other work and they are cracked!

Guess I got 3 years out of them, just about $125 per year if you look at it that way.... sigh.

93legendti
06-29-2007, 11:54 PM
I have been thinking of getting a pair of the 3t Biomorphe to use with a 26.0 stem. I have not seen another pair of shaped carbonfiber bars that are made in a 26.0, everything has gone 31.8 these days. Is anyone riding the 3t Biomorphe? How do you like them. I'm particularly interested in the comfort while riding on the brake hoods. Does anyone know if the Winwood, or any other shaped CF bar comes in a 26.0? I know the FSA K-Wing does not. Anyway, if I onsider changing to a 31.8, where can I get the Winwood bars, are they available from an e-bay seller? Direct? Thanks

Here ya go:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=21660

imm
08-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Recently went with the IRD carbon bars, very nice! Apparently they are the ones being knocked off in Taiwan by everyone. Great product.