PDA

View Full Version : Specialized at NAHBS...thoughts?

Steve in SLO
03-02-2010, 05:52 PM
After seeing a few pics of the pimped out rigs from Specialized, I was wondering what the take-home message was from those who attended, since Specialized is a pretty big company to be in this show. Were these one-offs, ultra-zoot S-Works styling exercises, or what?

Thanks for any info.

Charles M
03-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Just paint work examples... Pinarello were not there either but both were VeloColor Paint samples.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/charles/102nahbvelo.jpg

That said, I dont think company size should limit viability. Trek are hand making bikes in North America and honestly doing a fantastic job of it. I wouldnt mind at all seeing them there...

I get the spirit of the show though and am more a fan of guys like Herbie Helm than the Madison Monster where NAHBS is the strict scenario

Ian
03-02-2010, 06:03 PM
The only Specialized bike I saw was in a paint shop's booth (Velocolour?). It seemed like an odd choice for that show, but the Pogliaghi in the back of the booth more than made up for it.

EddieBirdsell
03-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Just paint work examples... Pinarello were not there either but both were VeloColor Paint samples.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/charles/102nahbvelo.jpg

That said, I dont think company size should limit viability. Trek are hand making bikes in North America and honestly doing a fantastic job of it. I wouldnt mind at all seeing them there...

I get the spirit of the show though and am more a fan of guys like Herbie Helm than the Madison Monster where NAHBS is the strict scenario

I asked Noah from VeloColor about this on Sunday and he explained essentially the same. It was there to showcase the paint, and in no way Specialized brand. Noah said it was commissioned by a local shop in Toronto as a one-off deal. All the work in the VeloColor booth was absolutely top-notch.

Maybe a bit tough to reconcile with the Embrocation guys being told to cover up the Ridley logo on the team bike they had in their booth (in this case I believe a limited-run of that paint scheme exclusively for the team), but I guess a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Karin Kirk
03-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Maybe a bit tough to reconcile with the Embrocation guys being told to cover up the Ridley logo on the team bike they had in their booth (in this case I believe a limited-run of that paint scheme exclusively for the team), but I guess a line has to be drawn somewhere.

I really liked the paint and graphics on that bike. I am a fan of all things blue and white and I like TT bikes, so that one was a hit for me. Plus it looked like it was my size. It makes perfect sense why it was there even though it was not a handmade bike and it was not built by Velocolor.

The Embrocation thing makes sense too. Velocolor needed some bikes in their booth to show their product, which is the paint work. Embrocation's product is not a team bike. It's a nice prop, but their product does not revolve around it. Covering the logo is a fair compromise and similar calls were made in other booths.

Lifelover
03-02-2010, 09:25 PM
I asked Noah from VeloColor about this on Sunday and he explained essentially the same. It was there to showcase the paint, and in no way Specialized brand. Noah said it was commissioned by a local shop in Toronto as a one-off deal. All the work in the VeloColor booth was absolutely top-notch.

Where is the line being drawn? Are Ridleys not "hand made" (whatever the hell that means) or are they not North American.

I think you could find other examples of both. Dario is not North American and I suspect Velocity Rims are not hand made.

I did not even notice it, but it seems kinda chicken **** to me.

fiamme red
03-02-2010, 09:36 PM
I am a fan of all things blue and white and I like TT bikes, so that one was a hit for me.Did you see this Icarus?

http://cyclingwmd.blogspot.com/2010/03/ode-to-yamaguchi-by-icarus.html

Louis
03-02-2010, 09:42 PM
It's the show that's North American, not everything in it.

Like a NY Auto Show. Not autos made in NY, but an auto show in NY.

Lifelover
03-02-2010, 10:16 PM

That would explain all those damn foreigners now, wouldn't it. :crap:

Clearly, Don can do whatever the heck he wants, but I still don't understand why he would make anyone cover up any logo.

dekindy
03-03-2010, 06:49 AM
That would explain all those damn foreigners now, wouldn't it. :crap:

Clearly, Don can do whatever the heck he wants, but I still don't understand why he would make anyone cover up any logo.

No free publicity because they did not pay an exhibitor fee? Technically any booth could display a frame and get free advertising for the manufacturer.

rwsaunders
03-03-2010, 07:35 AM
I doubt that the Ridley or Specialized name would sway a potential buyer, with the typical buyer at the show being a handmade aficionado.

Power to the Embro guys! :cool:

Karin Kirk
03-03-2010, 08:58 AM
No free publicity because they did not pay an exhibitor fee? Technically any booth could display a frame and get free advertising for the manufacturer.
Bingo - that's the reason. It's not related to handmade/American or anything like that. The argument about the degree of handmade-ness is a whole 'nother story!

On the Icarus, despite the lovely colorways I can't quite get behind that design. Can't put my finger on it, it just looks like it's missing something, doesn't it? ;)

Mr. Squirrel
03-03-2010, 09:21 AM
i really liked those wheels, even though the guys who painted them were nuts.

mr. squirrel

oldpotatoe
03-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Where is the line being drawn? Are Ridleys not "hand made" (whatever the hell that means) or are they not North American.

I think you could find other examples of both. Dario is not North American and I suspect Velocity Rims are not hand made.

I did not even notice it, but it seems kinda chicken **** to me.

Nor is shimano..doesn't really matter does it. If it gets yer knighty in a knot, don't go.

c-record
03-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Lipstick on a pig?

EddieBirdsell
03-03-2010, 10:32 AM
I really liked the paint and graphics on that bike. I am a fan of all things blue and white and I like TT bikes, so that one was a hit for me. Plus it looked like it was my size. It makes perfect sense why it was there even though it was not a handmade bike and it was not built by Velocolor.

The Embrocation thing makes sense too. Velocolor needed some bikes in their booth to show their product, which is the paint work. Embrocation's product is not a team bike. It's a nice prop, but their product does not revolve around it. Covering the logo is a fair compromise and similar calls were made in other booths.

I agree on the VeloColor treatment of that Specialized Transition. It was one of my girlfriend's favorite bikes from the show, and I'm sure the fact she's a triathlete played some role in that. That bike and one of Dario's were her take-away favorites.

I definitely see the difference in reasoning between the Embro guys and Noah's booth. It really is apples and oranges. I guess an argument could be made that, in the spirit of the show, Noah could have showcased his paint treatment on some "handbuilt" frames in his booth (however that's defined for the purposes of the show), but I don't make the rules and I don't care to. It was an awesome weekend, and I'm more than content to be a satisfied consumer without trying to see too far behind the curtain. Don really knocked it out of the park with this show.

It was great meeting you and Dave. If you should ever find yourself back in your "hometown," please give us a shout.

Lifelover
03-05-2010, 11:19 AM

No that it matters, but E-richie posted the source of my confusion.

http://web.archive.org/web/20041207174719/http://www.handmadebicycleshow.com/

"The Event is not only intended to serve as a Forum for Builders to meet and share ideas, but also to showcase North Americas Finest Builders for Bicycle Enthusiasts of all kinds
Potential Customers have never seen the opportunity to speak with as many as 40 of the Top Bicycle Framebuilders in North America"

Charles M
03-05-2010, 12:20 PM
I don't agree that one guys bike finish covering is any better than another, be it paint or the Embrocation...

Really it's a judgment call and I'm sure there are folks on both sides of the fence.

I think if the Emrocation guys paid for a booth and wanted to demonstrate their product in as highly aesthetically pleasing a way as possible (which means not having to tape over part of their display) they should be able to do that in the case that someone like Velocolor didn’t have to tape over a portion of their display...

Continental paid for a booth and people didnt have to tape over all the other tires

Brooks had saddles there and they didnt force the saddle makers to rub logo's.

Zipp paid to show wheels, bars and stams... and yet...

Really it's just a judgement call, but from my neutral perspective it seemed a lot more like Juvenile politics than any sort of proper regulation.

Louis
03-05-2010, 01:00 PM
No that it matters, but I E-richie posted the source of my confusion.

I guess things have grown since then. It would seem parochial to tell Dario "No, you can't join the party.)

We are one big happy world of cyclists :)