PDA

View Full Version : Trying on bibs/shorts etiquette???

Kupe
03-02-2010, 11:48 AM
I actually tried searching this before asking, but what's the etiquette for trying on bibs/shorts? I mean what's really the best way to get an idea of how shorts fit & feel without actually sacking a chamois? In the past, I just bought based on waist size and such, but with reading about too loose, too tight, too grippy, too light, too short, too long, chamois is in the wrong place, and you get the idea. Kinda makes you wonder a bit if and how many times it's been done.

Sorry, but I had to know.

FWIW, I kinda have my own theory, but still wanted to see what y'all had to say.

Hai H. Ho
03-02-2010, 11:59 AM
I keep my tighty whities on during the test drive. Best of luck.

false_Aest
03-02-2010, 12:02 PM
non-padded spandex/lycra shorts. the sporty kind. champion makes them. avail at target.

kestrel
03-02-2010, 01:03 PM
non-padded spandex/lycra shorts. the sporty kind. champion makes them. avail at target.

+1 ^

My soccer playing kids call them Sliders. They are worn under their shorts. They come in two varieties, long legged and shorties. Champion, Under Armor, Nike, etc. all make them.

ckamp
03-02-2010, 01:16 PM
+2. Good shorts. Fit pretty tight/small.

On the fit note. It really depends on your build. Im over 6'4" with a 31-32 waist. The pads on the xl-xxl or xxxl that I have to wear are usually not well fitted to me. Some brands are better than others for sizing, just go grab a bunch and try em on.

Test rides, I have never done. I would think you could narrow down the options rather quickly without one. Possibly see if a shop will let you use their trainer until the sweat starts up...

nahtnoj
03-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Wait, you guys test ride bike shorts?

Chad Engle
03-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Rinse, lather, repeat, talc, commando, or you'll truly never know...

Hai H. Ho
03-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Wait, you guys test ride bike shorts?

For me, I used the term "test drive" only for fitting purposes, not actual test rides in the new shorts. I've been known to "test drive" sport jackets, jeans, cycling jerseys, and shoes among other things. I never thought to actually test ride bike shorts before this. I guess I took the fit & comfort for granted and just assumed it.

nahtnoj
03-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Gotcha.

If I were a shop owner I would have a "if a hard surface has compressed the chamois into your nether-regions, you bought it" policy.

rugbysecondrow
03-02-2010, 02:04 PM
A list of things I don't think about:

-Who slept in the hotel bed (or what was done there) the week before I got there
-Who sat and did what on the cab seat I am sitting on
-Who ate out of the bowl of nuts at the receptionist counter and did they wash their hands
-Has somebody elses junk been cradled by the shorts I am trying on.

That being said, I go commando when I ride so I go commando when I try them on. I need to know where the seams are and, more importantly, where they are not.

McQueen
03-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Gotcha.

If I were a shop owner I would have a "if a hard surface has compressed the chamois into your nether-regions, you bought it" policy.

There's got to be some actual rules here - I don't think state health departments allow people to try on underwear - it's got to be the same with bike shorts unless theres an undergarment.

You can't even try on a shoe without a sock.

Of course, I wonder about those orders from Colorado Cyclist - there's no control what happens to those bibshorts when shipped to a customer who later sends them back.

CNY rider
03-02-2010, 02:46 PM
A list of things I don't think about:

-Who slept in the hotel bed (or what was done there) the week before I got there

You must stay in classy joints.
Some places I've gone to, I wonder what was going on there an hour before I got there! ;)