PDA

View Full Version : Can't fit brakes on HSG

jonjones13
03-01-2010, 08:06 AM
My new HSG is being built up as we speak but the LBS is having problems with the brakes. Both my Super Record Brakes and 0G's threaded nuts (which go the other side of the fork/seatstay) are too wide to get in the holes

Anyone else had this problem? Thought the holes in the frame/fork would have been std size ??

Jon

SPOKE
03-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Usually Serotta includes a special brake nut with their forks.
It is a slightly smaller diameter than the nuts supplied by
the brake manufacturer. If the frame/fork are painted then
paint buildup around the mounting holes is a small problem
too. Easy to fix by lightly sanding the paint out of the holes.

victoryfactory
03-01-2010, 08:46 AM
This happens. I don't think it's a big deal.
Sometimes it's paint in the holes.
If it is, you can carefully run a drill through (even by hand
not under power)
If the hole is really too small, it needs to be drilled out or
the special nut used.

An experienced bike builder-upper has seen this before, I think.

VF

dave thompson
03-01-2010, 10:41 AM
I believe that Serotta uses, what I call, Reynolds brake nuts on the both front and rear of carbon bikes. Slightly slimmer and made of titanium and are commonly available.

TimD
03-01-2010, 11:03 AM
I believe that Serotta uses, what I call, Reynolds brake nuts on the both front and rear of carbon bikes. Slightly slimmer and made of titanium and are commonly available.

This is exactly correct. Nothing from the QBP catalog will fit. The binder nuts should have been included with the frame. You'll need one for the fork (an Ouzo Pro version might fit) and one for the rear, if it has a carbon monostay design.

Serotta can supply them. Reynolds was able to supply them at one time and may still.

TimD
03-01-2010, 11:06 AM
http://www.reynoldscycling.com/index.php?p_resource=items_wheels_item&p_itm_pk=45