PDA

View Full Version : Tru Trainer or Inside Ride e-motion for Parkinson's Cyclist

tiger
03-01-2010, 06:55 AM
Hello Forumites!

Due to some of the tremor and spasm issues associated with my Parkinson's disease, I am finding it more difficult to ride rollers. It is harder for me to get started and also harder for me to keep in the middle of the rollers. It is requiring so much concentration to ride the rollers that it is not giving me the mental release that the exercise should. I have a rear wheel trainer but we all know that torture device has its own special tribulations.

I am trying to decide if the Tru Trainer or e-motion rollers would be of benefit to me. The TT would give some substantial inertial coasting time that might help when I need to keep the wheel centered, something like a gyroscopic effect. On the other hand, the e-motions have the front wheel bumpers which would help me to keep from riding off the trainer, but I can envision that if you hit those hard enough you basically flip over the side rather than gently ride off over the side. Plus the e-motions have no flywheel inertia. Another consideration is that the Tru Trainers are designed to keep both wheels level with respect to each other, whereas the e-motions are the traditional roller design which has a rear wheel at a slightly different height than the front wheel. Perineal happiness is always a good thing.

So does anybody think that either of these rollers would grant me substantial improvement to what I am now experiencing? Even if it just got me another year or two of ability to ride rollers as it would be worth it to me.

Lastly, does anybody know if somebody who is interested in selling a set of these rollers? The e-motions come with a return option if you don't like them, but the Tru Trainers do not.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Tiger

old_school
03-01-2010, 08:06 AM
I have owned both rollers in question. While I can't specifically relate to your condition, my thought is that you would be better served by the e-motion as they are more forgiving. Wrt resistance, the e-motions do have a magnetic resistance unit that can be turned on or off depending on your needs. Also the bumpers do tend to guide you back towards center and, unless you really hit them hard, are not likely to throw you off. The true trainers are superb (I sold my e-motions for true trainers and never looked back); however, the are more like traditional rollers - just extremely well crafted.

03-01-2010, 09:19 AM
I have been working with a former competitor who suffered a rather severe spinal injury in a crash and is basically in the same situation you are in. We borrowed both. He went with the TruTrainers. What we did was simply to practice riding off the rollers a few times. He never fell once and after a couple intentional trips off he simply rode away. Remember that you basically just stop when you come off and then tip over. So either a climbers' crash pad or simply a piece of furniture, wall, or doorway to connect with keeps you even from tipping over with any damage. Practice riding with someone there to brace you -- they don't have to catch you from sprinting forward, just be there as you tip over.

So why TruTrainers? First, much smoother in the resistance setting. Second, larger rollers. Third, he found that if he did hit the side rollers on the eMotion he would actually trip and go over sideways, hard. An unaffected rider would tap them lightly and bounce back, but with his problem (and possibly yours) it's a harder hit and they simply trip you into flipping over.

And by the way, call TruTrainer. They have always had a money-back test ride. Mention that you read about them on Fixed Gear Fever and they should honor that (especially if you tell them about your illness) and they should actually give you a shipping discount as well. They are very good people.

thwart
03-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Having ridden e-motions at least 4-5 times a week for a couple of winters now, I'd go with those. I have no personal experience whatsoever with the Tru-Trainers. However, a friend has 'em (his first year of ownership) and is actually thinking about switching due to the reasons outlined below.

I've tripped over the bumpers on the e-motions a handful of times; I've kissed the bumpers hundreds (and hundreds) of times. Yes, I'm clumsy. The e-motions allow you to do stuff like reach for things and learn to ride rollers no-handed (I'm almost there...) without that fear of 'getting burned'. I think the initial push-off and stabilization would be an easier process.

My previous experience was with Nashbar rollers, and then Kreitlers for a year. There is no comparison in terms of the roller experience... and therefore the willingness to get on them day after long winter day.

Suspect you can get a money back trial from either company.

R3KC
03-01-2010, 12:31 PM
I have been working with a former competitor who suffered a rather severe spinal injury in a crash and is basically in the same situation you are in. We borrowed both. He went with the TruTrainers. What we did was simply to practice riding off the rollers a few times. He never fell once and after a couple intentional trips off he simply rode away. Remember that you basically just stop when you come off and then tip over. So either a climbers' crash pad or simply a piece of furniture, wall, or doorway to connect with keeps you even from tipping over with any damage. Practice riding with someone there to brace you -- they don't have to catch you from sprinting forward, just be there as you tip over.

So why TruTrainers? First, much smoother in the resistance setting. Second, larger rollers. Third, he found that if he did hit the side rollers on the eMotion he would actually trip and go over sideways, hard. An unaffected rider would tap them lightly and bounce back, but with his problem (and possibly yours) it's a harder hit and they simply trip you into flipping over.

And by the way, call TruTrainer. They have always had a money-back test ride. Mention that you read about them on Fixed Gear Fever and they should honor that (especially if you tell them about your illness) and they should actually give you a shipping discount as well. They are very good people.

Interesting comment on tripping up on the E-motions. I've had them for a couple of years. I do consider myself "balanced" I can easily ride with no hands but I have nearly fell over several times when I hit the outer rollers. Fortunately I've been able to un-clip in a split second avoiding the fall. It only happens when you get severely out over the edge and there is nowhere to go. I nearly crashed the other night watching the helmet cam of the ski jumpers. :)

I've never ridden any other rollers but wondered what happens if you wander off them.

If I was going to purchase another set I would probably go with the TruTrainer's because of the smoother operation and huge flywheel.

Ray
03-01-2010, 01:36 PM
I'd love to try e-motions, but mostly because of the fore-aft movement associated with the sub-frame. I'm not sure I'd want the bumpers. I have trutrainers. On the rare occasion I've gone off the rollers, the wheel usually wanders out just a little too far and falls off the edge, but my weight is generally to the inside and I put my inside foot down as the wheel slips off. No problem - doesn't happen often at all. I guess the bumper would help, but it's a pretty rare occurrence. On the VERY rare catastrophic fall, usually associated with getting way too exuberant out of the saddle, I'm just headed off to the side and I've gone over as I went off the edge and landed on my butt/side. I think this has happened twice. I don't think the e-motions would have helped in these situations - if your weight is headed in that direction and you hit a bumper, you're still going over hard. That said, if I liked riding rollers more than I do, I'd think about building a frame for my trutrainers to float in to get the fore-aft movement, which I think would make the standing and sitting feel even more natural.

For someone with the limitations the OP is talking about, I might opt for a trainer or a stationary spin bike. Seems like you don't need to be riding rollers with that kind of physical challenge.

-Ray

tiger
03-01-2010, 08:16 PM
For someone with the limitations the OP is talking about, I might opt for a trainer or a stationary spin bike. Seems like you don't need to be riding rollers with that kind of physical challenge.
-Ray
I can understand your logic in saying that. As one of my favorite shirts says "Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit". I don't intend to give up the athletic pursuits that I love and keep me sane. I was not given the nickname Tiger based on giving up. I rode the 103 mile Assault on Mount Mitchell with a partially amputated finger suffered putting the bike rack on in the dark. Some tight gauze, dripping all the way, stinging from the salt in my sweat getting into the wound...when I got to the top a new member of my bike club remarked "wow I know why they call you Tiger." I have no design on sanity, I just have to keep on keeping on. I'm a physician and well know what I face in the future. I just refuse to give up (even if it means a set of rollers more expensive than my first car!).

thwart
03-01-2010, 08:51 PM
I can understand your logic in saying that. As one of my favorite shirts says "Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit". I don't intend to give up the athletic pursuits that I love and keep me sane. I was not given the nickname Tiger based on giving up. I rode the 103 mile Assault on Mount Mitchell with a partially amputated finger suffered putting the bike rack on in the dark. Some tight gauze, dripping all the way, stinging from the salt in my sweat getting into the wound...when I got to the top a new member of my bike club remarked "wow I know why they call you Tiger." I have no design on sanity, I just have to keep on keeping on. I'm a physician and well know what I face in the future. I just refuse to give up (even if it means a set of rollers more expensive than my first car!).

Post of the day.

paczki
03-01-2010, 09:27 PM

You can have a lot of pain on a Computrainer, a lot more than I've ever had on rollers (excepting crashing).
Your attitude is awesome!

stephenmarklay
03-01-2010, 11:04 PM
I have the e-motion rollers and have used them a lot this winter. I like them a lot. In your case the front stoppers may be dangerous. I have fallen over them a few times but bump them often. It may be that those little bumps to me would be a fall to you.

Ray
03-02-2010, 04:57 AM
I can absolutely relate to keeping riding as long as you can and then some. Riding is a passion. And if you insist on rollers, go for it and good luck (not sure that either e-motions or trutrainers hold a real advantage for you, but either should be easier to stay up on than traditional rollers - the flywheel on the trutrainers make them much more than a well built set of normal rollers). My suggestion was based on rollers being harder to stay on and balanced on than on the road and not necessarily being a better indoor training routine than you can get on a more stable setup like a trainer or spin bike. But, hey, if you like riding rollers, that in itself is a sign of sickness, so indulge!!! :cool:

Good luck,

-Ray

William
03-02-2010, 05:00 AM

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low, and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about,
when he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up though the pace seems slow,
You may succeed with another blow.

Success is failure turned inside out,
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit,
It's when things seem worst, that
You Must Not Quit.

- C. W. Longenecker

soulspinner
03-02-2010, 05:52 AM

You are an inspiration sir. Rubber down :beer:

tiger
03-02-2010, 06:21 AM
When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low, and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about,
when he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up though the pace seems slow,
You may succeed with another blow.

Success is failure turned inside out,
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit,
It's when things seem worst, that
You Must Not Quit.

- C. W. Longenecker

Thank you. I don't know what I am going to do about rollers, but this poem is getting printed out!

dekindy
03-02-2010, 07:04 AM
There are a lot of videos for both products on Youtube.com.