PDA

View Full Version : Provo, UT

Skrawny
03-01-2010, 05:08 AM
Well here it goes again... (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=38095&highlight=indianapolis)
I am completing my training here in Indianapolis, IN, and have to pack up and move to yet another part of the country.

I have accepted a job in Provo, UT. I have skied in Salt Lake (Provo is 45 min South), and -judging from the Mountains- there MUST be a cycling community there; albeit one that doesn't alcohol, use caffeine, or work on Sundays. ;)

Three questions for the collective wisdom:

1) Any of you guys out there?

2) Any of you guys been there?

3) Any good bike shops?

Thanks,
-s

Birddog
03-01-2010, 07:13 AM
Yeah, there is an active cycling community there. They will probably recruit you to their club within a month of arriving.

Their kits take a little getting used to though. I won't even git into their baselayer preference.

Good skiing at Sundance just a short distance from Provo.

http://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/missionary/images/lds-missionaries-on-bikes.jpg

http://images.townnews.com/lodinews.com/news_photos_08/missionaries_080705.jpg
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_63RmJ_PUOLw/SWLnB2o53bI/AAAAAAAAGV8/ZAXrdZPOGqQ/MormonMoonMissionaries-732495%5B4%5D.jpg

texbike
03-01-2010, 07:50 AM
Yeah, there is an active cycling community there. They will probably recruit you to their club within a month of arriving.

Their kits take a little getting used to though. I won't even git into their baselayer preference.

Good skiing at Sundance just a short distance from Provo.

http://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/missionary/images/lds-missionaries-on-bikes.jpg

http://images.townnews.com/lodinews.com/news_photos_08/missionaries_080705.jpg
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_63RmJ_PUOLw/SWLnB2o53bI/AAAAAAAAGV8/ZAXrdZPOGqQ/MormonMoonMissionaries-732495%5B4%5D.jpg

I always wondered why the LDS didn't have a pro cycling team. Think about all of the base miles those guys get while on Mission. :)

Texbike

bking
03-01-2010, 09:22 AM
not a serious bike shop in Provo, but Contender Bikes in Salt Lake is a great shop. a bit smaller, but a serious shop as well is Mill Creek in SLC. A large Seven dealer (rare in the west).

bking
03-01-2010, 09:26 AM
While i don't live there, i get up there a fair amount from Vegas. I'd guess Indiana is fairly flat. Bit different there.
Last canyon i went up was Little Cottonwood in south Salt Lake. It's 9 miles at 9%...average. There is NO flat spot. Lot's of those there.

c-record
03-01-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm a few hours North of you but know the state scene well. It's great for road riding, fantastic climbs to be had as well.

Join a club there are lots and lots of teams. Maybe see you out at some rides/races. Our team is at a lot of the 'cross stuff though we may be more involved with the Idaho series next season.

For shops I'd say Millcreek by reputation is good, Contender gets really mixed reviews. Welcome!

StephenCL
03-02-2010, 10:52 AM
not a serious bike shop in Provo, but Contender Bikes in Salt Lake is a great shop. a bit smaller, but a serious shop as well is Mill Creek in SLC. A large Seven dealer (rare in the west).

Bingham's on center street is not too terrible. It used to be a great shop back when I went to school there. I bought my first Paramount from there in 1992.

From a riding perspective, there is fabulous riding all around. Very little traffic once you get beyond the city. You can go up spanish fork canyon, up the alpine look from the backside, or over to Mt Nebo in Payson. There are quite a few riders and some pretty good clubs as well.

Good luck.

Stephen

dogdriver
03-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Agreed with all the previous comments. Lots of great training possibilities (Alpine Loop, Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons, Wolf Creek Pass, Big Mountain, etc, etc, etc), but not the "epic" rural riding experiences of Colorado, Oregon, CA, etc. Not the most cycling tolerant drivers-- be defensive on the roads! Lots of clubs, both competitive and participation oriented.

May I humbly suggest that you consider living in Heber or Midway-- about 20 minutes up Provo Canyon from Provo, and much more, to put it gently, "culturally tolerant". Provo is the spiritual epicenter of the region's dominant social/cultural entity, and living there may have a dramatic effect on your social existence. Plus, most of the good mountain biking is on the East side of the Wasatch, anyways.

I've lived in Utah as a heathen for 20 years, PM if you want to chat.

Best, Chris

DavidR
03-02-2010, 07:52 PM
I use to live there. There is lots of great riding leaving from the Provo Orem area. You will want a mountain also because the mountains and trails can be accessed from your home if you wanted.

In addition to riding take advantage of the flyfishing and skiing! Have fun it's a great part of the state.

StephenCL
03-02-2010, 07:56 PM
May I humbly suggest that you consider living in Heber or Midway-- about 20 minutes up Provo Canyon from Provo, and much more, to put it gently, "culturally tolerant". Provo is the spiritual epicenter of the region's dominant social/cultural entity, and living there may have a dramatic effect on your social existence. Plus, most of the good mountain biking is on the East side of the Wasatch, anyways.

Best, Chris

I would agree...I lived in Midway, it was awesome. I would commute to Provo on my bike three days a week. It was awesome training as well. Midway and Heber are great places to live and very close to Park City.

Stephen

bking
03-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Bingham's on center street is not too terrible. It used to be a great shop back when I went to school there. I bought my first Paramount from there in 1992.

From a riding perspective, there is fabulous riding all around. Very little traffic once you get beyond the city. You can go up spanish fork canyon, up the alpine look from the backside, or over to Mt Nebo in Payson. There are quite a few riders and some pretty good clubs as well.

Good luck.

Stephen

I forgot about Binghams. I was in there a couple years ago and while not deep, it is a pretty good old style store.
i stand corrected (i stand that way all the time)

Skrawny
03-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Thanks for all the tips!

I have been out skiiing yearly in Salt Lake for the last few years, and every time have gone up Little Cottonwood Canyon I have dreamed about riding up it -but I never thought I would. That kind of riding is my favorite. I learned cycling in Northern CA, and have not found such here in Indy over the last two years (to be fair the rigors of my job has made it tough to ride out here as well).

When I move out there I would love to meet up with any of you guys for an easy spin (I probably wont get my hill legs back until next season).

:beer:

-s

Dekonick
03-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Congratulations on finishing residency. Now you will actually have time to ride! :beer:

Lincoln
03-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Agreed with all the previous comments. Lots of great training possibilities (Alpine Loop, Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons, Wolf Creek Pass, Big Mountain, etc, etc, etc), but not the "epic" rural riding experiences of Colorado, Oregon, CA, etc. Not the most cycling tolerant drivers-- be defensive on the roads! Lots of clubs, both competitive and participation oriented.

I've lived in Utah as a heathen for 20 years, PM if you want to chat.

Best, Chris

What Chris said. Especially the Heber/Midway part. Really. Even there it may be a bit of culture shock.

:beer: Chris, I believe the officially recognized term is "gentile." :beer:

Cheers!

gasman
03-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Congratulations on finishing residency. Now you will actually have time to ride! :beer:

Even better I think he finished a Cardiology fellowship.

He's ready for the big time to take care of a huge non-smoking, non-drinking population.

Skrawny
03-10-2010, 04:06 AM
Even better I think he finished a Cardiology fellowship.

He's ready for the big time to take care of a huge non-smoking, non-drinking population.

Right you are. I am finally a grown-up!
-s