PDA

View Full Version : Oh crap I am going to race next weekend

stephenmarklay
02-28-2010, 09:36 PM
for the first time :bike:

It looks like I am in for a 20k tt and a mass start hill climb. Nice way to jump in.

God can only help me on the climb but you folks might be able to help me on the TT.

First, can I use headphones on the TT? Is that allowed in usa cycling?
A little music might help.

I only have a road bike not a TT bike. I will be fitted for some aero bars this week. Any that you guys like?

In in an effort to get this brick through air I am contemplating some wind cutting techniques. For instance renting a uhaul a have my wife cut the wind down a bit :p No really my VELONEWS buyers guide mentions that things like aero helmets, skin suits, shoe covers a make a big difference. I will use a zipp 404/808 combo as well.

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I start this at 11:30ish and want to finish before dark :beer:

false_Aest
02-28-2010, 09:56 PM
I can't find it in the ROOOL BOOOOK but somewhere it says something to the effect of "personal music players are not allowed during competition" blah blah blah. Every race I've been to I've seen an official remind at least 1 person to pull their earphones out. I dunno why it'd be different for a TT.

Louis
02-28-2010, 10:10 PM
my VELONEWS buyers guide mentions that things like aero helmets, skin suits, shoe covers a make a big difference. I will use a zipp 404/808 combo as well.

Does it make sense for a complete noob to show all kitted-up like it's the deciding TDF ITT? I would think the lower key you are the better off you'll be in the long run.

false_Aest
02-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Does it make sense for a complete noob to show all kitted-up like it's the deciding TDF ITT? I would think the lower key you are the better off you'll be in the long run.

*snort*

You probably know this but make sure you spend a good amount of time in the TT position and let your body get used to it. Something about muscles and work and stuff. Velonews ran an article about some dude in the 80s getting a 650-front wheel TT bike and having his ass cramp up halfway through because he wasn't used to the position.

I would probably opt for a mustard-yellow tight polyester button down, brown polyester shorts and argyle socks as your kit. If you set yourself up as a nooob, no matter how you place you'll impress people (including yourself).

regularguy412
02-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Best thing I ever learned was to not go out so hard in the first three miles of the TT that ya blow up. My rule of thumb (for me) was, for the first mile or two, to go about 5 beats below what I had planned to go for the entire event and THEN push it up and hold it.

I also think this is not bad advice for the hill climb, too -- of course, depending on just how long the climb is. DON'T let the others blow you up in the first 100 meters of the climb. 'Try' to be a lil conservative ( I know, easier said than done) and make circles.

Good luck! It's pretty early in the season to be feeling in top form.

Mike in AR:beer:

stephenmarklay
02-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I don't want to be a total poser for sure but I don't want to be the guy in a 10 speed and canvas high tops either :p

I am sure the guys that will be on top will be all business and not cutting corners.

I will work on my position and get some hours in this week. It is early in the season so whatever happens is fine. A decent time would not hurt though.

markie
02-28-2010, 10:42 PM
I remember back in the day someone asking a similar question.

Someone told the guy to wear really stiff soled shoes for better power transfer on the hillclimb. The guy did the race in a pair of brogues.

Ahh good-times.

merckx
03-01-2010, 06:17 AM
Are you sure that you really want to race? If you do, then focus your efforts on positive thinking. You will be defeated even before your wheel crosses the start line if you are searching for extrinsic motivational factors. I am serious about this. Just turn the pedals at your maximun potential and you will be fine. If you can achieve that, then you will not be disappointed.

jpw
03-01-2010, 06:24 AM
Best thing I ever learned was to not go out so hard in the first three miles of the TT that ya blow up. My rule of thumb (for me) was, for the first mile or two, to go about 5 beats below what I had planned to go for the entire event and THEN push it up and hold it.

I also think this is not bad advice for the hill climb, too -- of course, depending on just how long the climb is. DON'T let the others blow you up in the first 100 meters of the climb. 'Try' to be a lil conservative ( I know, easier said than done) and make circles.

Good luck! It's pretty early in the season to be feeling in top form.

Mike in AR:beer:

I did a hill climb last week and this guy zoomed past me and headed off to the distant horizon. A little while later he was hand gesturing me to pass him - his thigh muscles had locked. So, pace yourself and get a good sustainable rhythm going and ignore what everyone else is doing.

stephenmarklay
03-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Are you sure that you really want to race? If you do, then focus your efforts on positive thinking. You will be defeated even before your wheel crosses the start line if you are searching for extrinsic motivational factors. I am serious about this. Just turn the pedals at your maximun potential and you will be fine. If you can achieve that, then you will not be disappointed.

Thanks Merckx, I really do want to race! It is just the oh shoot I am going to do this NEXT WEEK shock. After the first few times I will be ok. The extrinsic motivation i.e. music is really more to keep my mind off the pain and the beat to keep my cadence where I want it.

I am thankful for the comments on how hard to push - they are in line with my thoughts. For example, My threshold heart beat is around 171. I plan on ramping my heart rate up to around 165 getting a groove and then pushing toward 170. Depending how that feels I may stay under 170 until 3/4 the distances and then go past that. I think with this I should finish them anyway.

I have not been doing too much threshold training yet so it is what it is.
The hill is 6 miles with 2000ft elevation. Nice and steady best I can tell.

godfrey1112000
03-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Do your best forget the rest, it is early season and the snow will still be on the side of the road,

I used to think I could do many things brevet riding to TT and I realized that you can not be good or average at everything, so I dumped the TT

I know a TT guy who would drive 125 miles one way to ride 6.2 miles and load it up and drive back, OBTW I finished ahead of him with his fancy TT bike and skins suit, but I digress

Mass starts are not an indication that the TT is being taken that serious in my opinion, Have fun

stephenmarklay
03-01-2010, 07:52 AM
godfrey - the TT is actually not a mass start it is the run for your life hill climb...
I predict the hill climb will smoke a ton of folks shooting out like rodeo bulls.
6 miles is a bit of time so I will "catch up"

rugbysecondrow
03-01-2010, 08:24 AM
I have never done just a bike race, but have done quite a few triathlons and foot races.

The only advice that might convey is to plan ahead to use the restroom. For some, being nervious can cause you to have to go poo and there can be some longer lines at the porta john...so poo early and get it out before it is too late. :)

Have fun, it is just a race. Best of luck!

godfrey1112000
03-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Thus the reason I am not a TT, sorry for the misinterp.

That is why I have stayed on the Distance/Brevet side,
I just keep riding

good luck,

zap
03-01-2010, 10:00 AM
get there early and warm up 20 odd miles (with some really hard efforts)before your tt start. Arrive at start 15 minutes before your start time.

headphones :no:

acorn_user
03-01-2010, 05:22 PM

Only if you are wearing a muscle skin suit like Cipollini ;)

http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/photos/05cipo-023000

Roar!

mike p
03-01-2010, 07:05 PM
+1 Warm up is very important and the shorter the tt the more important! As Zap said include very hard efforts. A tt is the only race I use a HRM. Usually I don't want to know and find it a distraction but in a tt your all alone and need to be able to pace yourself so you go fast enough but don't blow. Hopefully you know what HR or power you can hold for 20k. Try to keep proper cadence,HR,form, and just kill it. In the end it's about having fun, and it's not fun unless I do well!!

Mike

get there early and warm up 20 odd miles (with some really hard efforts)before your tt start. Arrive at start 15 minutes before your start time.

headphones :no:

stephenmarklay
03-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Thank you guys. On the warm up I have a couple of books and my "coach" has a good suggested warm up of about 45 minutes with hard efforts.
It will be fun not matter what.

I am finding the stress of getting ready good. I am running around getting rim cement and all the things I have been putting off.

I just did a light 3 hours and will start to reduce some of the training this week. I have some shorter hard efforts planned but not a lot of volume.

stephenmarklay
03-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Well I think I am going to make it for preparing - the bike and supplies etc.
I put on my aero bars and did a short threshold workout 1.25 hour with 2 10 minute efforts.

I thought it would be a disaster for a the first take but went pretty well. I did it on my rollers and my wife was kind enough to take a short video so I could see my position. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-junajy3K40

I noticed my head position was too high but otherwise I think I am going to do a short threshold workout tomorrow to keep my legs loose and a light recovery ride in the evening.

Then go for my PR on Sunday. Snicker - should not be to hard based on what I have said. :D