PDA

View Full Version : Any update on Tyler's retirement?

bostondrunk
03-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Any update on Tyler's retirement?

BumbleBeeDave
03-11-2005, 02:08 PM
. . . . we were still waiting on a decision from the hearings last week.

Do you know something we don't, BD? :confused:

BBDave

bostondrunk
03-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Do you know something we don't, BD? :confused:

BBDave

I know what color underwear I have on.................hows that?! :banana:

alembical
03-11-2005, 02:12 PM
I am guessing pink and lace.

spiderman
03-11-2005, 02:13 PM
and i'm sure you're not...
...but here it is anyway...
since you brought it up...
...i have my red spidey boxers on today...
they don't ride up in the crotch near as much...
comfort drives efficiency
as far as i'm concerned!

csb
03-11-2005, 02:16 PM
funny how a stab in the dark shows a little
something about the person doing the stabbing.

BumbleBeeDave
03-11-2005, 02:16 PM
. . . about this so far . . . from CyclingNews.com today.

BTW, I have on my light gray bikini briefs--less material, doesn't soak up as much of my jock itch ointment . . . :eek:

BBDave

Hamilton optimistic, but proceedings kept open

By Anthony Tan

While Tyler Hamilton's three-day hearing with the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) finished on March 2 in Denver, Colorado, the final outcome is still unknown. A decision was expected to be handed down tomorrow (March 12) on whether the 34 year-old former Phonak rider is guilty of homologous blood doping - in which he failed three out of four tests during the period from August to September 2004 - but according to a short statement on Tyler Hamilton's website, www.tylerhamilton.com, the hearing is still open.

"Although testimony is complete, the hearing is not officially 'closed'," wrote Hamilton. "The panel of three arbitrators have decided to keep the proceedings open. We are not entirely sure why, but apparently this can happen."

Ever since failing tests carried out at the Athens Olympic Games (the blood sample from the second test was frozen, rendering the outcome invalid) and the Vuelta a España (Hamilton failed two out of two tests for homologous blood doping), the popular rider from Marblehead, Massachusetts, has strongly denied any involvement in blood doping, and continued to maintain his innocence - even when his former Swiss-registered team fired him last November after they initially failed to make the cut for the UCI's ProTour.

Subsequent to this, along with a number of rider and staff changes - which included the sacking of Santiago Perez, who tested positive for the same offence and was recently awarded a two-year suspension - Phonak were reinstated back into the ProTour on February 1 this year.

According to Hamilton, a decision will be given 10 days from the date the case officially closes. "We will keep you posted," he wrote. "Tyler and Haven are optimistic. Tyler is back on his bike training."

spiderman
03-11-2005, 02:19 PM
the mycelex with your chamois cream???
if you're not,
you might try it...
...and make sure you're NOT
using soap in the area!

Bruce K
03-11-2005, 02:25 PM
I thought the pink undies were Bill Bove's! :rolleyes:

At least they would match the rest of the B&B kit. :banana:

It's snowing AGAIN :crap: with predictions in the 6-10" range :crap: :crap:

Trainers are boring. I wanna ride! :bike:

BK

BumbleBeeDave
03-11-2005, 02:25 PM
. . . I use a mixture of bearing grease and 2-4d insecticide. You mean there are OTHER medicines available for this? . . .

BBDave

spiderman
03-11-2005, 02:29 PM
maybe you are half drone!
...i don't have many of those in my practice...
...i'll have to subscribe to another newsletter...

Bill Bove
03-11-2005, 05:40 PM
[QUOTE=Bruce K]I thought the pink undies were Bill Bove's! :rolleyes:

Comando Baby!!! Swinging Free!!! Nothing but a thin layer of gaberdine between me and Ginger!!!!

BumbleBeeDave
03-11-2005, 05:47 PM
. . . Can we go back to talking about Tyler now? . . . :rolleyes:

BBDave

dirtdigger88
03-11-2005, 05:52 PM
. . . I use a mixture of bearing grease and 2-4d insecticide. You mean there are OTHER medicines available for this? . . .

BBDave

Dave I can get you some juice that makes 2-4D look like Kool Aid

try Pramitol

Jason

H.Frank Beshear
03-11-2005, 08:43 PM
:fight:

neverraced
03-12-2005, 07:58 AM
Way off the topic my cousin is a professor at the u of IL. Knows of a case they are watching , have been watching. Seems a farmer dumped lots of banned product many years ago and the ground is still barren. I am not how much ground but more than an acre, nothing lives in the soil bacteria, viruses, germs, worms, plants, nothing. When I was in Omaha for the stem cell thing 16 years ago they had a map of the U.S.A. and a pin in it where their lymphoma patients had come from. Nationwide survey all research hospitals, 99% of them either were from Agricultural states or had lived in them. I remember when dad called the farmer that rented our farm and asked him why our beans and melons weren't growing. A new product Marvin, atrazine I don't need to cultivate anymore. Little brother and I would stand in the ditch and wave at the crop duster when he flew by the large field we lived across the street from. When our eyes would sting we'd run home and have Mom wash them out. Not sure of the point of this post but farm chemicals affect us all in ways we can't imagine. Frank

"That's funny...that crop duster is dustin' where there ain't no crops."

North by Northwest screenplay by Ernest Lehman

Bill Bove
03-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Frank, sometimes art does a much better job of stirring emotion than journalism. Listen to a song by Tish Hinojosa called "Something In The Rain" It's on her album put out by Rounder Records called "Culture Swing".

H.Frank Beshear
03-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks Bill I will look her up. I understand what you mean about art and journalism. Ever heard "You stay here" by Richard Shindell? Its on the album called "Somewhere Near Patterson". I had to pull off to the side of the road the first time I heard it. Transit is another song on the album that is exceptional. I wish I could write songs like that. I speak occasionally for the Cancer Society at local fund raisers and such. Emotion is easier in person, our society has become jaded and inured to the written word. A shame really. So many of have lost sight of ourselves in the journey. I'll quit now since I delved even farther off topic. Take care Frank.

Lifelover
03-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Way off the topic...we can't imagine. Frank

Doesn't this violate some rule that warrants deletion? If not I would like to purpose one!

H.Frank Beshear
03-12-2005, 10:23 PM
That rule would be? Love life thats fine I'll delete it because I can ( I think) But what I posted I saw. I had an autolougus stem cell transplant for reccuring lymphomas, hodgkins specific in 1989. So I really don't care if you like what I posted or not. But I'll delete if I can because you love life so much I can feel it emote through screen. I would put a little sarcastic emotican but I think it came through alright. Take care look up the rule ok Frank by the way delete my post from your thread I'm sure it violates a rule

BumbleBeeDave
03-12-2005, 10:28 PM
I am also bewildered as to where the offense in this little story came from. Obviously it doesn’t have much to do with Tyler--unless he was standing next to you under that plane--but God knows by this time there is enough accumulated scientific evidence to back up what you say.

BBDave

H.Frank Beshear
03-12-2005, 10:37 PM
BBD my story came not in any way as a response to the Original post but as a reply to Dirtmans offer to get some juice that made 2-4d look like koolaid. Hence my opening of way off topic. I didn't follow the advise I gave friend climb the other day though and hit send before the deep breath :crap: . I hadn't planned on offending anyone with it. I was just posting what I'd seen and heard. Oh well. Thanks Frank

BumbleBeeDave
03-12-2005, 10:49 PM
I’m bewildered because I just don’t see anything “offensive” about what you posted . . . :confused:

BBDave

gasman
03-12-2005, 10:57 PM
I also see nothing wrong with your post and I underdstood where it came from:
Dirt's post and an emotional reaction to what has occurred in your life. It was real, honest and truthful.
It had nothing to do with bikes but heck, there is a lot on this forum that has nothing to do with bikes and I find that refreshing. Life is not just about bikes.

Dave

Bill Bove
03-13-2005, 05:32 AM
Frank, one of his earlier songs, i can't remember the title was about breaking up with his girlfriend on halloween. not a song of sociol import but a great break up song anyway.

I found nothing offensive about your poat either. Yes it did stray from the thread but one of the things that make this forum so much fun is how the threads take on a life of their own. And what you said reminded me how precious every day is. Thank you.

Climb01742
03-13-2005, 05:40 AM
frank, your post is EXACTLY why i dig this forum and its members so much. we talk about bikes and life. and honestly, i find the posts about life a lot more thought-provoking than i do another post about campy vs shimano. thank you, frank, for taking a detour, and please take one whenever you feel inspired. ;)

Andreu
03-13-2005, 05:49 AM
to pinch a phrase from a famous builderisimo..
Yeah what climb says.
A

Kevin
03-13-2005, 06:15 AM
Frank,

Keep those posts coming.

Kevin

MartyE
03-13-2005, 07:45 AM
I think the post is possibly offensive to chemical producers (dupont?).
As this isn't the Better Living through Chemistry forum I see
no harm no foul.

Marty

93legendti
03-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Any update on Tyler's retirement?

http://www.procycling.com/news.aspx?ID=978

BumbleBeeDave
03-13-2005, 05:10 PM
. . . is entertaining reading, but is largely incremental. They have to write SOMETHING about it in order to say they are covering the story, but there really ain’t much to say that’s new, aside from the hearing being over, but being kept “open,” which has already been reported. It’s not news that if Hamilton is cleared, Phonak would be open to having him back. After all, why wouldn’t they? Regardless of the talk there would bound to be from some quarters, the fact will still remain that Tyler has a very positive reputation with a lot of people.

I find it much more interesting that the hearing is being kept officially “open” even though the hearings were really over almost two weeks ago. Why? I have not heard of this happening elsewhere. What reason could there be for USCF officials NOT officially closing the hearing? Is there some new evidence they are waiting on? If so, I would imagine we would have heard SOMETHING about it, USCF being the information sieve it generally is.

The only reason my suspicious little mind can think of right now they would not officially close the hearing is because once they do, they MUST come up with some sort of decision in 10 days according to the rules, and no matter what they decide, SOMEBODY is going to be mighty unhappy about it.

Is this delay a matter of conlficting schedules among the hearing officers, who have not had an opportunity to compare notes before beginning the deliberation process? Or is it because they are trying to figure out what to do? The evidence MAY point to the test being unreliable and their feeling is that Tyler should be cleared, but if they do that after all this hullabaloo from the UCI about the test being “100% accurate” then Heiny Verbruggen is gonna be PO’d, and US Cycling can probably kiss good-bye any chances they have for getting any Pro Tour events over here any time soon. But then, the evidence may be damning, and they just can’t stomach banning a fellow American who is, after all, a nice guy, too! :rolleyes:

Or are they just gonna let it hang? Any rule against that? Will months pass while the hearings are still “open,” thus letting them avoid having to poop or get off the pot, as it were? ;)

BBDave

BBB
03-13-2005, 07:02 PM
I imagine its a pretty difficult case; two positive tests (three including the Olympic test) versus a lot of medical evidence (presumably) questioning the valdity of the testing procedure.

There may well be some innocent explanation as to why the hearing has been left open, such as providing the parties the opportunity to provide further written submissions for example.

The hearing is being conducted by the USADA and as such it is independent from USA Cycling, so I'm not sure that the question of "what to do" in the context of placating the UCI is really a high priority for the USADA.

No doubt if Hamilton is cleared the UCI (and WADA) will be pretty annoyed as the testing procedure for homologous blood transfusion will, presumably, have to be pulled. If Hamilton is cleared, I wonder if the UCI will lean on USA Cycling to appeal the decision?

And if Hamilton is cleared, I wonder how fit he actually is? I would have thought that this whole process would have de-railed his training somewhat, especially seeing the initial positive test from the Vuelta was annouced in mid-September.

I reckon whatever happens, someone will appeal and this matter is far from over.

Interesting times ahead.

BumbleBeeDave
03-13-2005, 07:30 PM
. . . and I also think interesting times ahead. The important question to me, though, is whether exoneration would allow Hamilton to compete while various appeals--if any--are in process.

I have read several places that he has been in training assuming he would be cleared. But even if not, then that might be good for him, too. After all, he has had a LOT of injuries and sometimes taking an extended rest is just what’s needed to let everything truly heal.

It’s nice to know that USADA are the ones conducting the hearings rather than USA Cycling, but I still have concerns over the role plain old-fashioned politics will be playing in this whole process.

Either way, you are right. Guess we’ll just have to wait and hope for the best.

BBDave

BBB
03-13-2005, 08:06 PM
I think the answer is yes that he would be allowed to compete having been cleared, but pending an appeal.

But, would anyone employ him pending an appeal?

Agreed, a rest will probably do him some good in the long run. Look at Jan Ullrich between the '02 season and the '03 season for example.