PDA

View Full Version : Pro/ex pro riders you'd love to ride with

Andreu
02-26-2010, 09:53 AM
You have a chance to ride with 3 living pro/ex-pro riders - who would you choose?

Mine would be (all ex-pros):

1. Bernard Hinault (my all time favourite rider - not sure he'd be good company though)
2.Sean Kelly (2nd all time favourite rider and probably good for an interesting story or three)
3. Mario Cipollini (could be very entertaining?)

Who would you choose?

R3KC
02-26-2010, 10:18 AM
1. Lemond
2. Armstrong
3. Landis
:)

fiamme red
02-26-2010, 10:25 AM
1. Lemond
2. Armstrong
3. Landis
:)All at the same time? Now that would be fun. :banana:

Idris Icabod
02-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Not sure on 3, but I met Matt White at the Tour of Britain a couple of years ago and eventually had to ask him if he had any duties he needed to attend to before thhe race such was the amount of time he spent chatting to me. I think you could have a really intersting time chatting to him as he was very down to earth and humble. He also spent a lot of time chatting with a guy who turned up in full Garmin kit on an ex-team bike, Matt genuinely appreciated the support.
My buddy bought a bike from Wheatridge Bikes in Denver and I think we were helped by Ron Keifel who was a really nice guy and took his time to explain pros and cons of different brands.
On the flip side I've heard that Gord Frazier can be a complete jerk. He once threatened to crash a recreational cyclist on a Saturday morning shop ride in Tucson, I heard this first hand from the guy, not sure I would want to ride with Frazier!

johnnymossville
02-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Eddy Merckx: Mostly just because he's the greatest.
Bernard Hinault: Not sure he'd be fun to talk to, but I admire the heck out of his style of riding. He could do it all on the bike.
Greg LeMond: My favorite rider of all time, not to mention I bet he'd be great to talk to.
Sean Kelly: Seems like a great guy. He was one of my idols when I was a kid.
Steven Roche: I want to talk to him about how the heck he won the world championships the way he did.

JMerring
02-26-2010, 10:34 AM
merckx - he's the greatest
cipollini - he's a hoot
hincapie - he's a class act

bostondrunk
02-26-2010, 10:39 AM
1. LeMond
2. LeMond
3. Jerk

fourflys
02-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Hmm, great question!

I would have to say the following:
1. Andy Hampsten (someday I'll have the money for a tour)
2. Christian VandeVelde
3. Dave Z. or Chris Horner, either would be great!

This is no particular order as any would be awesome!

ThomasRZ
02-26-2010, 10:48 AM
1. Adam Myerson's pretty cool. I went drinking with him when he was in Chicago for Superweek -- dude's down to earth and into the punk rock. We could talk about Bad Brains whenever he decided to ride easy enough for me to catch my breath from trying to hang on his wheel.

2. Justin Spinelli

3. Molly Cameron

William
02-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Cippo
Sean Yates
Girlie (already done)

Alternate: Bob Roll :D

William :)

zap
02-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Cipollini

Voigt

Ulrich

Benjamin
02-26-2010, 11:11 AM
ulrich would probably be a good time.

as would bob roll.

maybe john tomac.

dancinkozmo
02-26-2010, 11:29 AM
1...andy hampsten
2...michael barry
3...steve bauer
alternate: sean kelly

Chris
02-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Phil Anderson

echelon_john
02-26-2010, 12:12 PM
1. musseeuw on some cobbles
2. hampsten anywhere in italy
3. davis phinney anywhere

Ti Designs
02-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Greg Herbold - A.K.A. Hairball. He was a pro mountain biker in the 80's and a test rider for Miyata. They had to come up with a Hairball to Japanese dictionary just so the techs could understand him. Way fun to ride with if you like getting pushed past your own limits.

David Millar. I don't know squat about pro racing, but it seems like he has the "let's see what would happen if..." attitude which makes races fun.

Bob Roll. If you've never gone for a ride with Bob, you should. I can't begin to explain how much of an adventure it is, or what the guy can do on a bike. I didn't think it was possible to moon the driver of a car next to you while riding a bike...

John Allis. He's old, he doesn't eat or drink on rides less than 4 hours, he's on an old Raleigh converted to a fixed gear with the rear fender rubbing the tire. And somehow he's pushing young riders up the hills to keep the group together.

bluesea
02-26-2010, 12:27 PM
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1594/9glsvs.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/74/fahlinvi.jpg

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7020/emba09offimg8044bea1.jpg

Andreu
02-26-2010, 12:46 PM
....you might be on to something...

jeo99
02-26-2010, 01:24 PM
You have a chance to ride with 3 living pro/ex-pro riders - who would you choose?

Mine would be (all ex-pros):

1. Bernard Hinault (my all time favourite rider - not sure he'd be good company though)
2.Sean Kelly (2nd all time favourite rider and probably good for an interesting story or three)
3. Mario Cipollini (could be very entertaining?)

Who would you choose?

Frankie,
Good question! As you rode with one or maybe two of the riders you listed, you have an advantage. This is very hard to narrow to three.
My choices would be:
1) Eddy Meckx for all the stories he enjoys repeating
2) Bob Roll for strickly the entertainment aspect
and my number one choice
3) Erik Zabel
I met Erik at the 2003 Worlds in Hamilton. In-fact stayed at the same hotel with the entire German team. Saw Erik at breakfast and I talked myself into asking him for an autograph. Next thing I knew he joined me at breakfast and we chated each day. Just a great guy! We still email on occasion. He helps me with my German.

Cheers!
:beer:

BTW bluesea is on to somethng!

Climb01742
02-26-2010, 02:34 PM
michele bartoli, to see elegance in motion close-up.

johnnymossville
02-26-2010, 02:45 PM
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1594/9glsvs.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/74/fahlinvi.jpg

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7020/emba09offimg8044bea1.jpg

hmmm. Those three would all accuse me of being a wheelsucker and I would agree wholeheartedly.

johnnymossville
02-26-2010, 02:47 PM
3) Erik Zabel

You pretty much just filled in what I've always thought of Zabel. I miss watching him race. Great Story!

jeo99
02-26-2010, 03:19 PM
You pretty much just filled in what I've always thought of Zabel. I miss watching him race. Great Story!

As do I !!

whforrest
02-26-2010, 03:33 PM
I got to ride with Andy Hampsten and Jeff Pierce in the late 80's before Andy won the Giro. Great guy and very nice. I was a junior rider at the time.

LeMond, perhaps Fignon. I met Christian VV in Chicago about 10 years ago after he broke his arm and he was an ass, while Frankie Andreau was very cool.

At the tour of cali a few years ago levi bolted after the TT, while Chris Horner was hanging out signing autographs, he's pretty damn classy.

My old riding buddy rode with Phil Anderson once and said it was a great experience. Mentioned how wicked fast he went up a small climb.

But I too would love to ride again with Andy in Italy and I am sure Davis and Connie would be wonderful as well.

How about Moser? He's got some of the same demeanor of Hinault.

Bud_E
02-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Several years ago I saw Marty Jemison being interviewed after a TdF stage where I think he was in the winning break but was outsprinted at the line. He was disappointed but said something to the effect of "it's okay - I love this ". I thought he would be cool to ride with.

don'TreadOnMe
02-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Paolo Savoldelli
Jan Ullrich
Kevin Livingston

JMerring
02-26-2010, 04:04 PM
i forgot to mention richard sachs. not sure if he is pro enough for the op, but i think he'd be a cool one, too.

Satellite
02-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Andy Hampsten because I am dyeing to do the Tuscany Tour. It is my wife and I's 10th anniversary and I would love to do something really special. What would be better than a bike ride in Italy?

http://www.cinghiale.com/

Harald
02-27-2010, 05:20 AM
Andy Hampsten

Andreu
02-27-2010, 06:12 AM
This guy looked like he was born on a bike: http://www.youtube.com/watch#v=_2Z61UVMWio&feature=related

weisan
02-27-2010, 06:34 AM
Jens Voigt

Jeannie Longo

Phil Liggett

Paul Sherwen

Dave Wiens

Tyler Hamilton

Lance Armstrong

Davis Phinney

Connie Carpenter

Melissa Missy Giove

Chad Gerlach

I can go on and on....I like diversity of characters. :D

Sparky69
02-27-2010, 07:01 AM
In no particular order

Jan Ullrich
Sean Kelly
Bob Roll

soulspinner
02-27-2010, 07:05 AM
This guy looked like he was born on a bike: http://www.youtube.com/watch#v=_2Z61UVMWio&feature=related

+1 He might be my first pick. Maybe then Eddy then Jens Voight.

OtayBW
02-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Fabian Cancarella - talented guy; seems like a good sport.
Bob Roll - obvious reasons.
LA - just to watch him Twitter while he rides.
A. Contador - just to watch him not respond to LA.

false_Aest
02-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Liz Hatch
Liz Hatch
Liz Hatch

but I'm not bringing my bike

fourflys
02-27-2010, 11:00 AM
I. I met Christian VV in Chicago about 10 years ago after he broke his arm and he was an ass, while Frankie Andreau was very cool.

I'm surprised as I met Christian at Interbike year before last and he talked with me for a good 10 minutes whole signing autographs about families (my wife and baby were there and he had just had a little one) and other stuff... I thought he was very cool. I wonder if he was going through one of his rough times when you met him? We all have our moments...

paczki
02-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Bob Roll
Spartacus
Dave Millar
Jens Voigt

BumbleBeeDave
02-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Ron Kiefel . . . A wonderful guy . . . I did get to ride with Ron at a Serotta factory weekend several years ago. It was wicked hot--I remember going through at least 6 bottles--and I distinctly recall pulling him up pulling him up one hill just west of Spook Hollow Rd. on Co. Rt. 71 east of Saratoga. One of my best cycling memories! Here's a few pics of Ron getting ready for that ride, the two of us afterward, and this other guy who was also there. I'm told he's, uh, some sort of racer, too? :rolleyes: ;) Oh, and my girlfriend at the time also showed up . . . :D

Bob Roll . . . I'd love to see if I can get him talking and see how well he could ride while making all those hand gestures.

Voight . . . From absolutely everything I've seen or read, just seems like a fun guy who'd be fun to ride with.

Eddy . . . Just to be able to say I'd ridden next to The Best.

BBD

slugbottle
02-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Major Taylor
Eddy Merckx
Davis Phinney

weisan
02-27-2010, 06:43 PM
You can be like him too...once you buy my World Champion jersey :D
http://serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70566

cadence90
02-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Felice Gimondi
Paolo Bettini
Ivan Basso

Vera Carrara
Noemi Cantele
Marta Bastianelli

Fausto Coppi
Franco Ballerini
Dario Pegoretti

majorpat
02-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Gianni Bugno

Alexi Grewal

Stijn Devolder

Hawker
03-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Lemond

Eddie

John Howard

Blue Jays
03-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Eddy Merckx
Andy Hampsten
Greg LeMond

BumbleBeeDave
03-04-2010, 07:15 PM
. . . how few times Lance has been mentioned in this thread.

BBD

rdparadise
03-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Well, I've had the pleasure of riding with Frankie Andreau at a club ride a few years ago.

I would love to do a ride with:

Cippo;
Canchellar
Armstrong
and more.

Bob

Blue Jays
03-05-2010, 02:17 AM
How about the late great Gino Bartali...
That rider probably would have had some crazy stories.

MattTuck
03-05-2010, 06:59 AM
cancellara
hincapie
boonen

all guys that I admire for one reason or the other. and as far as pros go, they are big guys.

MattTuck
07-10-2015, 10:45 AM
After watching Juan Antonio Flecha on Eurosport, I think I'd like to change my previous answer... he seems like a guy that would tell some good stories and is generally pretty positive (may be his on camera personality, but the guy would seemed like a hopeless optimist at PR).

eliminate GH and add Juan Antonio.

Also, since this thread originally aired in 2010, I'd add the following:

Lemond
Hampsten
Horner

LegendRider
07-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Gianni Bugno

Alexi Grewal

Stijn Devolder

I sorta rode with Bugno following a stage at the 1994 which finished on top of Luz Ardiden. He, like most other riders, grabbed a dry long sleeve jersey, suited up and headed down to the team bus waiting in the valley. I jumped on his wheel and followed him down most of the way - ultimately he dropped me!

shovelhd
07-10-2015, 11:12 AM
1. Adam Myerson's pretty cool. I went drinking with him when he was in Chicago for Superweek -- dude's down to earth and into the punk rock. We could talk about Bad Brains whenever he decided to ride easy enough for me to catch my breath from trying to hang on his wheel.

I've raced with him many times. I've also been on the other side of his argument while wearing the blue shirt. Feisty guy. He was still wrong :)

shovelhd
07-10-2015, 11:17 AM
I've raced with a bunch of pros and ex-pros since the 80's including some mentioned here, but this is about riding. My three would be:

LeMond
Kelly
Roll

mg2ride
07-10-2015, 11:35 AM
Danny MacAskill
Bob Roll
One of those Asian broads that do the dancing on fixed gears

FlashUNC
07-10-2015, 12:00 PM
Oscar Friere
Jacky Durand
Greg LeMond

weisan
07-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Super Mario.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/nintendo/images/2/2c/NewSuperMarioBros_scene.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090522154845&path-prefix=en

and...

Indurain

https://velosophe.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/velosophe_gibo_03indurain.jpg?w=574

dsimon
07-10-2015, 12:39 PM
Who ever is old fat and slow and would like to have a conversation. if not maybe Phil Gaimon

holliscx
07-10-2015, 12:55 PM
Pantani, Bahamontes, and Betsy Andreu

bcroslin
07-10-2015, 01:25 PM
David Feherty, Barry Bonds and maybe Phil Gaimon because he's a Gator.

For those of you who want to ride with Lemond, he does a charity ride nearly every year in Naples, FL. I've been told he's a really nice guy but sloooow. :)

Lewis Moon
07-10-2015, 02:03 PM
Amy Dombroski
Mo Bruno Roy
Marianne Vos

texbike
07-10-2015, 02:17 PM
These have all been said, but my three would be:

1. Hinault - We'd go for a ride, stop at a bar for a few drinks after, and get into a fist-fight.
2. Cippo - I'd ride behind him and pick up all of his cast-off ladies.
3. Voight - We'd go for a ride and watch the Simpsons afterwards.

Texbike

Britishbane
07-10-2015, 02:44 PM
Amy Dombroski
Mo Bruno Roy
Marianne Vos

Now that's a list!

I was thinking Stybar as long as we're on cross bikes on a trail.

Bruce K
07-10-2015, 02:54 PM
I have to say I feel pretty fortunate to have had the chance to ride with many of the folks I would put on this list.

Davis Phinney, Connie Carpenter, and Taylor
Frankie Andreu
Phill Liggett
Wayne Stetina
Bobke

I've ridden with a bunch of pro cx folks. They are all very entertaining to hag out with.

I also got to ride with marathoner Uta Pippig for a day. THAT was a blast!

I would love to get a chance to chat with Christian Van de Velde - seems like a nice guy

For some reason Thomas Voekler fascinates me - would love to know what makes him tick

Then there are some of the more historical folks others have mentioned.

BK

azrider
07-10-2015, 03:35 PM
Luca Paolini

:p:p:p

oldpotatoe
07-10-2015, 04:29 PM
Merckx, cuz he's Eddy Merckx
Andy Hampsten-actually have, genuine nice guy
Tie-Davis Phinney/Ron Keifel-my former bosses, actually have...2more genuine nice guys.

LJohnny
07-10-2015, 05:23 PM
The best ride companion I had was a double amputee Marine on a carbon fiber wheel-chair-bike. He was on a ride just from Walter Reed medical to beach drive. I came across him and I asked if I could ride along with him. We ended up riding for about 20 miles on beach dr/ rockcreek parkway. For those familiar to the area we did the Ross/nature center loop, then back up to Bethesda. Some challenging hills there for a wheel chair bike. Very strong fellow. He was due for another surgery two weeks after. That was his 7th surgery. After that he was going to his home in the Midwest.

I used to see a group of them during the week riding on Beach. And in a soldier spirit, these guys were out riding even in stormy weather. It was very good to see people in cars cheering them up as the come across or while passing them. I used to remember that anytime I was feeling wimpy about going out for a ride in so-so weather :)

-so not a pro or expro, but I think I'll ride with a recuperating soldier anytime.

Sent from my brain

witcombusa
07-10-2015, 06:37 PM
Lyne Bessette for sure :)

choke
07-10-2015, 06:46 PM
I'd love to do a tour with Andy Hampsten and with Eros Poli. Both come across as really nice.

But if I had to pick, these three seem to always really enjoy themselves on the bike:
Giorgia Bronzini
Emilia Fahlin
Valentina Scandolara

TMB
07-10-2015, 06:54 PM
I know a number of ex pros quite well, and have ridden with a larger number just because of the "web"

The most fun day on a bike would be Ron Hayman, Alex Steida and Phil Anderson.

Ron is the quiet man with a great sense of humour, Alex is a very personable gentleman and Phil is an absolute scream to be around.

If I could add in I would add Steve Bauer and Brian Walton.

These guys all know each other well, they all are great to be around and fun to ride with.

I have been around Ron and Alex and Clara Hughes all together, and that would be a great group too.

SoCalSteve
07-10-2015, 07:04 PM
I had a chance to ride with Tyler Hamilton when he was with Rock Racing...couldn't have asked for a nicer, more generous man. I was very impressed and felt very fortunate to have a chance to ride with him.

Another local rider who was pro for awhile ( don't think he raced in Europe though ) is Rashann Bahati. I've had the pleasure of riding with him as well. Again, couldn't have asked for a nicer person to ride with. Very humble. Very generous.

I know people who have ridden with LA when he was hanging out in Los Angeles while dating Cheryl Crow. They said he was a really nice guy and seemed to really enjoy hanging out and riding locally around Los Angeles.

Md3000
07-10-2015, 07:20 PM
Lot of dead pros in this thread :/

Paolini would be awesome. Also cipo but what about lucho Herrera!! Or Iban mayo who is one of the fastest people on the Alpe d'huez. Beloki, hampsten, Ricardo Ricco, moser!!, Some Dutch and Belgian hard men like Peter Van petegem, museeuw, Van de Velde, rooks. And before anyone says they're all dopers I don't care cos I'll be on 7 liters of red bull trying to keep up

Pelican
07-10-2015, 08:07 PM
I've ridden with:

Greg LeMond (super nice guy!)
Cavendish (good bloke)
Big George (long time ago)

And not sure if anyone remembers, but Mike McCarthy from Saturn pro team. He just rolled up in full kit, paced alongside us for a few miles then took off to continue his training ride at his (very fast) pace.

GParkes
07-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Gentlemen, please....

Rebecca Twigg
Erica Allar
Liz Hatch

bironi
07-10-2015, 10:22 PM
Laurent Jalabert.
Would not have to say a word.
I'd be happy to see how great he looks on a bike.

zennmotion
07-10-2015, 11:54 PM
Jacky Durand
Marianne Vos
The Phinney-Carpenter-Phinney family (all at once)

Tickdoc
07-11-2015, 07:49 AM
Fun game to play today as I am home with a sore back when I should be out on my weekly group ride (damn back)

Excluding the dead ones, I'd say:
Dave Z.
Floyd landis ( no, really, I'd love to ride with him!)
Bobke
George Hincapie
The Jensie

As for jens, I like hearing his commentary this year, but I miss seeing him jump the field. I'm sitting here watching stage 7 replay with a group of five at the front and he would not only be in there, but pushing the lead group in a big way. They're almost to the point where he would jump the breakaway and damn near kill himself to get to the finish.

He was so fun to watch.

Almost had a chance to ride with bobke this year, but I was out of town the one weekend he was here :-(

sitzmark
07-11-2015, 08:07 AM
-so not a pro or expro, but I think I'll ride with a recuperating soldier anytime.
Sent from my brain

++
We run two Veterans No Boundaries camps every year - summer and winter - no cost to Vets or their families. All they have to do is get to Maine and Maine Adaptive Sports and Recreation takes it from there. Know an adaptive needs Vet or active Military - tell them to give us a call. http://www.maineadaptive.org/programs/specialty-programs/Veterans-No-Boundaries/

Year round programs for all other adaptive-needs participants as well. All free to participants. Very few programs in the country provide this without charge - Cycling, Fishing, Golf, Tennis, Paddlesports, Skiing (alpine/nordic), Snowboarding, Snowshoe + added activities for specialty camps.

malcolm
07-11-2015, 08:41 AM
Andy Hampsten
Davis Phinney
Bob Roll

Always liked Hampsten, just seemed like a classy guy. Retired and never got caught up in the pro cycling mess. It just seems like he was able to stay above the fray.

Brian Cdn
07-11-2015, 03:06 PM
Francesco Moser.

paredown
07-11-2015, 05:03 PM
I know a number of ex pros quite well, and have ridden with a larger number just because of the "web"

The most fun day on a bike would be Ron Hayman, Alex Steida and Phil Anderson.

Ron is the quiet man with a great sense of humour, Alex is a very personable gentleman and Phil is an absolute scream to be around.

If I could add in I would add Steve Bauer and Brian Walton.

These guys all know each other well, they all are great to be around and fun to ride with.

I have been around Ron and Alex and Clara Hughes all together, and that would be a great group too.
Hoo-ray for Canadian content!