PDA

View Full Version : OT: - Thinking about naming my first son "Cadence" ...

rlee1612
02-25-2010, 11:18 PM
What do you guys think about this name for a guy. We found out after the fact that it's mainly used as a girls name...whoops....

toaster
02-25-2010, 11:41 PM
It does sound girly. What about naming your boy Sue? I hear they grow up tough with a name like that.

Louis
02-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Abbreviates to "Cad" which is probably not the best of options for a guy.

Data from a really cool page on the Social Security Administration site: link (http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OACT/babynames/)

Popularity of the female name Cadence

Year of birth Rank
2008 212
2007 199
2006 214
2005 207
2004 218
2003 476
2002 957

Louis
02-25-2010, 11:45 PM
It does sound girly. What about naming your boy Sue? I hear they grow up tough with a name like that.

"Brifter" sounds tough, but would probably rub some cyclists the wrong way.

BryanE
02-26-2010, 04:39 AM
Please don't

Ralph
02-26-2010, 06:07 AM
http://www.interlocracing.com/rims.html

The name is in use. LOL

dancinkozmo
02-26-2010, 06:43 AM
.."Cadence" sounds like a name Palin would give to one of her kids. :D

Dave B
02-26-2010, 07:01 AM
NAme him Cowboy.

Who is going to eff with a kid named Cowboy?

Answer: Nobody!

Birddog
02-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Caden or Kaden is rising in popularity around these parts. I like the Brifter suggestion. Brif for short, just kidding.

Birddog

rugbysecondrow
02-26-2010, 07:28 AM
I used to "Date" a girl named Cadence...Cady for short.

I really wouldn't use that name for a son.

A little free advice...I think you give children adult names, names that would look good at the top of a resume or on a business card or ones that would sound good during a handshake. For instance, my name is Paul Peterson...I think that is a good balanced name, but I know a child who's name is Liam Zuti...it sounds like a cool name for a boy, but it is not a man's name. I see all these boys at daycare with cute names, but names that would sound silly as grown-ups.

This may sound sexist, but women seem to want to give their sons boys names, which isn't fair...fight that help him be a MAN and name him something strong, like Luke (my son's name)

Yes I am biased and sometimes judgmental...but honest about my judgements.

dancinkozmo
02-26-2010, 07:31 AM
NAme him Cowboy.

..i beg to differ .

Ray
02-26-2010, 07:34 AM
For instance, my name is Paul Peterson...I think that is a good balanced name, but I know a child who's name is Liam Zuti...it sounds like a cool name for a boy, but it is not a man's name. I see all these boys at daycare with cute names, but names that would sound silly as grown-ups.
I don't know about the origins of Zuti (it certainly could be a legit ethnic name), but Liam is a pretty widely used Irish name. I think you don't see it as a man's name because you don't know many guys named Liam. If you grew up around a bunch of irish immigrants you'd have known quite a few. It's probably a family name.

That said, I wouldn't name a kid Cadence either, but its a rather personal call!

-Ray

rugbysecondrow
02-26-2010, 07:49 AM
I don't know about the origins of Zuti (it certainly could be a legit ethnic name), but Liam is a pretty widely used Irish name. I think you don't see it as a man's name because you don't know many guys named Liam. If you grew up around a bunch of irish immigrants you'd have known quite a few. It's probably a family name.

That said, I wouldn't name a kid Cadence either, but its a rather personal call!

-Ray

Understood, but that does not give it a pass. All names started out as legit ethnic names, that doesn't mean you can put any two words together and expect them to make a good, acceptable name. How is this for a family name, Cooper Coker...two family names but they really sound bad together. How about the first name Holden, last name Nichols...two good names, put together it is one bad name.

I actually don't think it is personal at all, it is actually a time when you have to be detached and impersonal about it since this person you are naming will be stuck with it for the next 80 years. It is their public label, so it is actually the opposite of personal, IMO. It will be personal to them if you do a crappy job. :)

I normally don't comment on names unless asked, so I don't feel bad about expressing my opinion here since the OP opened it up for discussion. I made an exception when a friends wife thought it would be cute to name their son Cash...as in Cash money...I had to say something.

I understand this is perceived as judgemental, but the truth is that you are judged by your name. How it reads, how it rolls off the tonge, that is real folks. Think practical too, I have to spell Paul for people over the phone, imagine having to convey they name Cadence.

cmg
02-26-2010, 09:08 AM
name him Derailleur. nicknames could be De or railleur or rail, sound like cool prison names..........

McQueen
02-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Name him Seven - after Lances TDF wins.

fiamme red
02-26-2010, 09:22 AM
How about "Ciöcc"? ;)

Ken Robb
02-26-2010, 09:26 AM
NAme him Cowboy.

A whole bunch of Indians? :)

maximus
02-26-2010, 09:31 AM
My wife and I already agreed we would do the same thing!! Love the name Cadence!

You will probably beat me to it though :)

dancinkozmo
02-26-2010, 10:02 AM
...name him after my favourite bike maker :

Surly

rdparadise
02-26-2010, 10:04 AM
A young lady I worked with a few years back named her daughter Cadence. Before that I didn't know it was being used for babies’ names.

Now around here, (Philly) we have a high end bike shop called Cadence. All the tri-guys/gals and Cat whatever's frequent there. They provide really high end bikes, equipment and most importantly coaching and training programs. Based on this fact, I wouldn't consider Cadence to be a name for girls. What kind of macho man would frequent a bike shop named Cadence if it had a feminine connotation? Of course in cycling parlance we all know what Cadence means.

Another name that is getting some attention around these parts lately is Chase, as in Chase Utley.

Anyway, whatever you decide, just remember, there are no mistakes. Your son will adapt and grow into the name regardless of what you and your wife choose for him.

Regards,

Bob

echelon_john
02-26-2010, 10:10 AM
In the town over from where I grew up there seemed to be a lot of kids nicknamed 'Dropout'...didn't realize cycling was so big over there...

nahtnoj
02-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think it is pretty self-absorbed to name your son after an aspect of an activity you enjoy.

paulrad9
02-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Good name and I may have to add that to the list as we're planning on calling our first son Aileron. If we have two boys, Aileron and Cadence would surely put a smile on Frank Zappa's face

bostondrunk
02-26-2010, 10:48 AM
I used to "Date" a girl named Cadence...Cady for short.

I really wouldn't use that name for a son.

A little free advice...I think you give children adult names, names that would look good at the top of a resume or on a business card or ones that would sound good during a handshake. For instance, my name is Paul Peterson...I think that is a good balanced name, but I know a child who's name is Liam Zuti...it sounds like a cool name for a boy, but it is not a man's name. I see all these boys at daycare with cute names, but names that would sound silly as grown-ups.

This may sound sexist, but women seem to want to give their sons boys names, which isn't fair...fight that help him be a MAN and name him something strong, like Luke (my son's name)

Yes I am biased and sometimes judgmental...but honest about my judgements.

+1
Luke is our son's name too. Baby girl on the way....told the wife I want a tom-boyish athletic name for her.. :)

Blue Jays
02-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Make it easy to spell. Nothing weird, like "Timb" with a silent "b" at the end.
Complex fancy names like "Shuquaane" (a dude at my office) would make for a lifetime of hassle.

Ray
02-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think it is pretty self-absorbed to name your son after an aspect of an activity you enjoy.
We have a younger member of the extended family who was a pretty intense Deadhead, met his wife through Deadheadedness, and they named their daughter "Althea", after the song. Self absorbed or not, its a really pretty name, she's a beautiful and wonderfully free-spirited kid, and the name is no hinderance to her at all. If it has some special meaning for the parent and its not a TOTALLY wacked out name (I probably wouldn't name a kid Trigg, but that's just me I guess), I don't see the harm.

And Paul, you seem to take the importance of a solid name WAAAAY more seriously than I do. A slightly weird name may be a conversation starter when you first meet someone, but it fades into the background pretty quickly once you get to know them or start dealing with them professionally. But there are all sorts of opinions about this stuff that I personally find excessive. I used to work with a guy who thought a person's signature said a huge amount about a person and he spent an incredible amount of time working on his and I think even hired a professional designer of some sort to help him with it. Like a damn logo. Which told me a LOT about him. :cool: But probably not what he was aiming for.

-Ray

Vancouverdave
02-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Always bear in mind what hay schoolmates might make with a child's name. If you give the kid a name that causes fights, be prepared to back the kid up no matter how it causes him or her to act out in school--imagine what **** Picabo Street took, for instance. Worse--one of the other musicians in my wife's orchestra used to have the name "Dingding." The woman is Chinese and I really hope she got her schooling done in China; that name among US schoolchildren might really be unbearable.

BengeBoy
02-26-2010, 11:27 AM
For some reason, this reminds me of some friends who named their daughter after the drinks they had the night the baby was conceived -- she was named "Remy."

True story.

A few years later, when my first was due, I couldn't decide whether to name him "Mad Dog" or "Budweiser."

BTW, I think you should name your son Sprocket

nahtnoj
02-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Ray, I think that is a lovely name. The key difference for me is that "Althea", while unique, can be reasonably construed to be a name. "Cadence" is a word.

On the names from Dead songs front, I would not hesitate to name a child "Scarlet" but I think "Ripple" would be taking it too far...

Will you be at NAHBS? I'd like to buy you a beer if so.

SEABREEZE
02-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Problem solved

CHAD

fiamme red
02-26-2010, 11:36 AM
We have a younger member of the extended family who was a pretty intense Deadhead, met his wife through Deadheadedness, and they named their daughter "Althea", after the song.Althea is an old female name, e.g., Althea Gibson (tennis player) or Richard Lovelace's 1642 poem "To Althea, from Prison" ("Stone walls do not a prison make, Nor iron bars a cage").

1centaur
02-26-2010, 11:41 AM
My free advice: don't give a kid a name he'll have to spell out for people on the phone the rest of his life. Don't give a kid name that his little friends will make him feel weird about for many of his formative years. Let them figure out their place in the world without the additional pressure of a "weird" label on their very identity. Just imagine a string of clueless teachers calling roll on day one and saying, "Cadence, uh, yeah Cadence? That's an unusual name. Which one is Cadence," and having 20 faces turn around to stare at your uncomfortable child.

rugbysecondrow
02-26-2010, 12:04 PM
We have a younger member of the extended family who was a pretty intense Deadhead, met his wife through Deadheadedness, and they named their daughter "Althea", after the song. Self absorbed or not, its a really pretty name, she's a beautiful and wonderfully free-spirited kid, and the name is no hinderance to her at all. If it has some special meaning for the parent and its not a TOTALLY wacked out name (I probably wouldn't name a kid Trigg, but that's just me I guess), I don't see the harm.

And Paul, you seem to take the importance of a solid name WAAAAY more seriously than I do. A slightly weird name may be a conversation starter when you first meet someone, but it fades into the background pretty quickly once you get to know them or start dealing with them professionally. But there are all sorts of opinions about this stuff that I personally find excessive. I used to work with a guy who thought a person's signature said a huge amount about a person and he spent an incredible amount of time working on his and I think even hired a professional designer of some sort to help him with it. Like a damn logo. Which told me a LOT about him. :cool: But probably not what he was aiming for.

-Ray

Maybe not way more thought, just more recent thought. Just having had a son in September, this conversation and thought process is fresh for me.

MarleyMon
02-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Choose a first name that goes with the last name -
rlee1612 - last name Lee?
Try - Stagger, or Quick.

Jeff N.
02-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Caden (Cayden) might sound better. Save the missing "ce" for the middle name (Cedric?). Jeff N.

rlee1612
02-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Our first stab at a name was "Earl Lee" since he showed up 1 month premature (he's doing just fine though)...luckily, this name never got written on his birth cert.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I did find out that its possible to change his name at the courthouse. We felt like we were under pressure since the admin lady at the hospital kept on bugging us for the name and threatened that it would be "Very difficult" to change once she submitted the paperwork for SSN using "baby boy" as his name...I don't know how much of that is true, but it definitely put us under pressure to come up with something.

Other names that were on our "finals" list were

Teo, Karel, Reagan, Edison, Eamon

Think any of these are better?

cmg
02-26-2010, 01:26 PM
met a girl named "Aja", yep her parents were fans of Steely Dan. She was ok with it..more annoyed that i was talking to her about it.

fiamme red
02-26-2010, 01:29 PM
How about Robert Edward? Or Bruce? :)

GuyGadois
02-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Tullio

rugbysecondrow
02-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Our first stab at a name was "Earl Lee" since he showed up 1 month premature (he's doing just fine though)...luckily, this name never got written on his birth cert.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I did find out that its possible to change his name at the courthouse. We felt like we were under pressure since the admin lady at the hospital kept on bugging us for the name and threatened that it would be "Very difficult" to change once she submitted the paperwork for SSN using "baby boy" as his name...I don't know how much of that is true, but it definitely put us under pressure to come up with something.

Other names that were on our "finals" list were

Teo, Karel, Reagan, Edison, Eamon

Think any of these are better?

Reagan, well that is a great name!

Ray, what do you think about that one? :)

Enjoy, being a father is great fun!

Ray
02-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Reagan, well that is a great name!

Ray, what do you think about that one? :)

Enjoy, being a father is great fun!
As long as the middle name is Hussein!

And yeah - don't get too crazy about the name - enjoy the little guy.

-Ray

bostondrunk
02-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Jake.

He'll be the cool kid, no one will mess with him.
Your welcome.

;) :beer:

Ozz
02-26-2010, 01:55 PM
"Jackson Lee" has a nice ring to it....'specially if you're from the South.

congrats on the baby! :beer:

woolly
02-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Name him Log. That will serve him well once he reaches puberty.

Louis
02-26-2010, 06:27 PM
If you're a big Ben Affleck / J-LO fan you could name him simply "G"

Lifelover
02-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Thinking about naming my first son "Cadence" ...What do you guys think about this name for a guy. We found out after the fact that it's mainly used as a girls name...whoops....

I love it and would not have thought of it as a Girl's name. I don't think Cadence is such a commonly used word that it would be any problem with other kids.

Consider using is as a middle name but plan on using it as his everyday name. We really wanted to name my oldest boy Hunter but were worried because our last name is Greene. We decided to make it his Middle name so he could bail out if it if needed. To date it has not been a problem and everyone calls him Hunter.

When my wife was pregnant with our second boy, the name "Fisher" really grew on us. Had my first child not been named "Hunter", we would have used it. Just every time we mentioned it to anyone, all we got was laughs and comments like: If you have a girl are you going to name her "gatherer". We chickened out and I wish we would have done it.

If you like the name, use it. Your kids future will be determined by your ability to "parent", not his name.

Louis
02-26-2010, 10:59 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7909561.stm

'Most unfortunate names' revealed

What do you call some of the most unlucky people in Britain?

Justin Case, Barb Dwyer and Stan Still.

It sounds like a bad joke, but a study has revealed that there really are unfortunate people with those names in the UK.

Joining them on the list are Terry Bull, Paige Turner, Mary Christmas and Anna Sasin.

And just imagine having to introduce yourself to a crowd as Doug Hole or Hazel Nutt.

The names were uncovered by researchers from parenting group TheBabyWebsite.com after trawling through online telephone records.

Retired airman Stan Still, 76, from Cirencester, Gloucestershire, said his name had been "a blooming millstone around my neck my entire life".

"When I was in the RAF my commanding officer used to shout, 'Stan Still, get a move on' and roll about laughing," he said.

"It got hugely boring after a while."

But 51-year-old Rose Bush, from Coventry, West Midlands, said she loved her name.

MORE UNFORTUNATE NAMES

Pearl Button
Jo King
Barry Cade
Carrie Oakey
Priti Manek
Tim Burr

"I always get comments about it but they are always very positive," she said.

Implications

Researchers also scoured phone records in the US and found some unlikely names there too.

Spare a thought for Anna Prentice, Annette Curtain and Bill Board the next time you sign your name.

A string of Americans also have very job-specific names, including Dr Leslie Doctor, Dr Thoulton Surgeon and Les Plack - a dentist in San Francisco.

A spokesman for TheBabyWebsite.com said: "When the parents of some of those people mentioned named their children, many probably didn't even realise the implications at the time.

"Parents really do need to think carefully though when choosing names for their children.

"Their name will be with them for life and what may be quirky and fun for a toddler might be regretted terribly when that person becomes older or even a grandparent perhaps."

Below are a selection of your comments.

I was named Simon Swindells at birth. It caused no end of ridicule throughout my childhood and teens and I changed my first name by deed poll shortly after turning 18 and changed the surname a few years later.

I found it difficult to be taken seriously when meeting people (socially and professionally when applying for jobs etc) as they laughed out loud when hearing the name.
Chrys Hudson Lee, Brighton

My name is the same as the actor who played the third Doctor Who. Growing up wasn't so bad, I used to get called all sorts, but because Doctor Who was seen as "cool" the nicknames were always positive.

But when he moved on and became Worzel Gummidge, the school taunts became crueller. I was constantly asked if I had an Aunt Sally, asked by teachers if I had the stupid head on today etc.

In my 20s, people still recognised the name, and when the actor passed away, I got several phone calls to see if I was still alive.
Jon Pertwee, Sion, Switzerland

This is a common name in Belgium and France but when I was living in UK it was quite weird, because people were always talking about Richard the Third and I had no clue of what they were talking about. I just realised some time later on.

Furthermore in France, one of my colleagues has double nationality (British and French) and his name is Olivier Moron (French origins). Once again in French, no problem at all... but in English
Richard Six, Paris, France (but I'm Belgian)

Mine tops the lot. Think about it.
Jenny Taylor, Kendal

Well, years of ruthless teasing have given way to slightly kinder comments along the lines of "what a great name". I just wish I had a decent answer to the question: "What were your parents thinking?"
Daisy Picking, London

My father, whose name was Albert Hall, had a lot to answer for when he named my brother Jim. Jim took a pounding whenever PE came round at school.

You'd have thought the "Royal" Albert would have been a bit more circumspect in his choice of name for his offspring!
David Hall, Cardross, Scotland

My cousins called their daughter Esther Munday, it has always made me chuckle.
Terry Withington, Hinckley, England

This article has put a big smile on many of my colleagues, friends and client's faces today. You would not believe how many times I have been e-mailed with links to your website.

I personally love my name as it makes people laugh and at least no-one will forget it! I'd never consider it unfortunate, it's just funny.
Jo King, London

My name was Susan Frame. I am a lawyer. I met and married Robert who is a banker. His surname is Mee. Now we are Sue Mee, a lawyer, and Rob Mee, a banker - ironic? I have taken no end of stick for this, believe me.
Susan Mee, Doncaster

My name being Andrew Burke, a lot of letters I get are to A Burke.
Andrew Burke, Aldershot, UK

When I lived near Aberystwyth, 20 years ago, I had a lovely neighbour called Ivy Plant. If she's still alive, or anyone knows of her whereabouts, I'd appreciate an address or any news of her.
John McCullough, Ballymena, Antrim

Unfortunately your name doesn't have to have a double meaning to be found continually amusing to others. However, I have found the benefit in adult life is that it is always noticed and remembered and is therefore a great networking "tool".
Bill Badger, Romford, Essex

A chap who preceded me as student's union president at Imperial in London changed his name to Sidney Harbour-Bridge for a year for charity. After the year he decided to keep it as he found it an asset in business... I'd love to hear if he has the moniker after nearly 20 years!
Chris Davidson, Market Bosworth

Hi, my mum was Hazel Nutt. Her maiden name was Morrison and she married my father, Peter Nutt. I watched her write out a cheque once with the checkout girl grinning, but my mum was definitely hiding a grin too. I think she loved it.
Donald Nutt, Dundee

My name is ok, but I have a 14-year-old niece called Lotte Flack. Luckily for her she lives in Germany so she is blissfully unaware of the implications. So far.
Eliot Flack-Hill, Hove, East Sussex

Doesn't sound bad but when people start chanting merrily, merrily, merrily it becomes tedious. Should have kept my maiden name.
Mary Lee, Pinner, Middlesex

I've always said that if my partner (a Button) and I had a baby girl we'd call her Pearl. With the fringe benefit that I'd get to call myself mother-of-Pearl Button.
Katie, St Albans, Hertfordshire

At the turn of the last century it was common to give girls the names of flowers, hence my Nan and her sisters who were called Ivy, Daisy and Rose. It's a shame their maiden name was Roots. My father, on the other hand, has a sister called June, which goes so well with our family name, don't you think?
Kevin May, Kent

I went to school with a Penny Bunn and my cousin always said she would call her daughter her favourite girl's name, Dawn, until she married a Mr Hobbs.
Delia Wyers, Burton-on-Trent

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/7909561.stm

Published: 2009/02/25 18:04:08 GMT

© BBC MMX

Print Sponsor