PDA

View Full Version : Killeen, TX cycling

ahumblecycler
02-25-2010, 07:20 PM
I will be on business from 28 FEB through 5 MAR, and I am bringing my bike. Does anyone live around there and can recommend cycling routes? Better yet, someone wants to meet up and cycle?

:beer:

dsimon
02-25-2010, 08:33 PM
Wow Its been years since i was stationed at FT. Hood. I lived in Copperas Cove and did most of my riding out there. you could try the Army cycling on yahoo groups they might be able to help you out a little more sorry I wasnt that helpful

ahumblecycler
02-25-2010, 08:37 PM
@csiowner, thank you for you service.

I (Army civilian) will be spending my time with the Soldiers during most of the day, but I figured what the heck.

You were helpful as you pointed me down an avenue. I need to google the area for bicycle shops too.

I just checked you profile; I assume you are at Ft Campbell now. I was there second week of JAN.

pdmtong
02-25-2010, 11:44 PM
I was almost born in killeen....but my dad got an army pass to come home and have me born in california....

fjaws
02-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Texas and oklahoma are pretty much the same. Head out with the wind in your face, keep making left or right turns until you're back to the road you headed out on, and ride back in. Roads all run N, S, E, or W. Don't ask a farmer for directions unless you understand distances given in farm plots.

:D

Louis
02-26-2010, 12:33 AM
Texas and oklahoma are pretty much the same. Head out with the wind in your face, keep making left or right turns until you're back to the road you headed out on, and ride back in. Roads all run N, S, E, or W.

That sure as heck does not sound very appealing to me.

A good cycling buddy of mine from work is thinking of moving down to Dallas (primarily because his wife wants to be closer to the kids, who are in college there). I've been down there on business a few times and it seemed that once you got away from the city it would be OK, as long as the flats did not drive you bonkers. Straight, flat roads - not terribly interesting riding. I guess as long as the asphalt is decent, the weather not too hot and humid (fat chance) and the drivers not bad, I suppose you could get used to it.

ahumblecycler
02-26-2010, 10:13 AM
6 years of grad school at OU so I know about wind. I can find beauty anywhere as long as I am on my bike ... and I escape freezing temps.

fjaws
02-26-2010, 12:19 PM
While there is some truth in what I said, I was mainly messing around. I was stationed in Oklahoma for 8+ years and enjoyed some great riding and racing in OK, TX, And AR.

As mentioned above, learn to love the wind. If you wait for a "windless" day you won't ride much.

ahumblecycler
03-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Just a brief update.71 miles and more to come today and tomorrow. Challenging conditions include high winds and harsh roads. I highly recommend Phat gel or better for cycling ... but my new Roubaix tape is overall impressive.