PDA

View Full Version : Tufo Tape on Non Tufo Tires

Clay
02-23-2010, 05:34 PM
This is a loaded question for this forum...HAs anyone had any experience with using the Tufo Tubular tape with other tubular brands? I ran Tufo, just not crazy about the way they roll. Same time the tape isn't too awful to clean off a rim.

Waldo
02-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Works just fine for me with Conti Sprinters.

LegendRider
02-23-2010, 06:01 PM
This is a loaded question for this forum...HAs anyone had any experience with using the Tufo Tubular tape with other tubular brands? I ran Tufo, just not crazy about the way they roll. Same time the tape isn't too awful to clean off a rim.

I've used Tufo Extreme on Mavic Reflex rims with Conti Sprinters - no problems whatsoever.

Charles M
02-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Ive used it on lots of combinations... extreme version

Conti, Vittoria, Veloflex, Dugies, Zipp, clems, Challenge, Tufo, Schwalbe

Zipp, Reynolds, Lightweight, Edge, Hed, Bontrager, Mavic, American Classic, Spinergy...

, At this point you coundnt get me to use glue again unless no tape were available...

Clay
02-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Of course TUFO wants you to use only their tire. But, I got the hot idea to repair one that I flatted. When I took the cotton strip off there was no thread! That made me wonder if the absence of thread allows for a better glue bond between the casing and the cotton strip than with the traditional tubular (sew up). Crazy notion, but I wanted to confirm with real users whether other tire will work with the tape. Sure is easier to get off. HAs anyone heard of using a hairdryer to soften the tape glue, then roll it off?

gauvink
02-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Of course TUFO wants you to use only their tire. But, I got the hot idea to repair one that I flatted. When I took the cotton strip off there was no thread! That made me wonder if the absence of thread allows for a better glue bond between the casing and the cotton strip than with the traditional tubular (sew up). Crazy notion, but I wanted to confirm with real users whether other tire will work with the tape. Sure is easier to get off. HAs anyone heard of using a hairdryer to soften the tape glue, then roll it off?

Yes and it works quite well, but your fingertips will hurt..

Clay
02-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Can't be much worse than the blisters from Acetone and elbo grease!

Velosmith
02-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Funny... I didn't care for either..... tires or tape...

thwart
02-23-2010, 09:05 PM
The only time I tried to remove a flat tire mounted with the Tufo tape (Conti Sprinter, BTW) it reminded me that the owner of my LBS brings a razor on his rides.

Says he's way past repairing tubular tire flats---cut it off and put on your spare.

Maybe I needed a hair dryer... :rolleyes:

cleavel
02-24-2010, 07:46 AM
Ive used it on lots of combinations... extreme version

Conti, Vittoria, Veloflex, Dugies, Zipp, clems, Challenge, Tufo, Schwalbe

Zipp, Reynolds, Lightweight, Edge, Hed, Bontrager, Mavic, American Classic, Spinergy...

, At this point you coundnt get me to use glue again unless no tape were available...

Hi,

I am using Tufo Extreme tape on my road race wheels: Reynolds DV46 UL with Tufo S3 Lite tires. I've been racing on those wheels for 1-1/2 seasons with no problems.

However, I tried using the tape on my TT wheels (Zipp 909 disc and Hed 3c with Vittoria Crono EVO CS) and I couldn't get it to work properly. I even tried re-taping the Zipp. The tape didn't stick well to the wheels or the tires but it was especially bad with the tires. It seemed like the narrow tire bed on the wheels and the narrow tires were contributing factors as the tape didn't seem to be conforming to the contours as well as on the wider Reynolds wheels and Tufo tires.

Is there a trick to using Tufo tape with particular wheels and tires?

I'd like to recommend it without reservation but I can't at this point.

R3KC
02-24-2010, 08:29 AM
FWIW I found that my Edge 1.38/Vittoria's did not work with Tufo Extreme tape. The Vittoria Corsa Evo CX absolutely would not bond....only slightly in the middle.

Not sure why.

oldpotatoe
02-24-2010, 09:24 AM
The only time I tried to remove a flat tire mounted with the Tufo tape (Conti Sprinter, BTW) it reminded me that the owner of my LBS brings a razor on his rides.

Says he's way past repairing tubular tire flats---cut it off and put on your spare.

Maybe I needed a hair dryer... :rolleyes:

I ride tubies everyday, don't race. Repair my tubies, use glue. The only advantage of tape is able to ride/race immediately. Taking a taped tire off leaves lots of junque from the tape on, doesn't stick as well, IMO. Glue(I prefer Panaracer) is not hard to use, works well, is less expensive...an 'alternative' view to all the 'love tape' responders.

cody.wms
02-24-2010, 09:30 AM
FWIW I found that my Edge 1.38/Vittoria's did not work with Tufo Extreme tape. The Vittoria Corsa Evo CX absolutely would not bond....only slightly in the middle.

Not sure why.

did you scrape the latex off? you're not going to get a good bond with the latex still on there.

R3KC
02-24-2010, 09:41 AM
I've heard this many times. However, I have no idea how you are supposed to get anything off of the Vittoria base tape. I've tried but nothing ever comes off. Scraping with a file, razor, knife...

cody.wms
02-24-2010, 09:46 AM
I've heard this many times. However, I have no idea how you are supposed to get anything off of the Vittoria base tape. I've tried but nothing ever comes off. Scraping with a file, razor, knife...

Scrape with a butter knife, on the non-serrated side. Push hard with the knife and you'll see the latex start pulling up. It'll take 1/2 hour to an hour to get it all off a tire.

Alternatively, you can just buy Conti tires, which ride a touch worse, but are repairable (unlike the Vittorias) and dont have latex on the basetape.

oldpotatoe
02-24-2010, 03:18 PM
did you scrape the latex off? you're not going to get a good bond with the latex still on there.

Or just glue 'em on..I have glued on hundreds of Vittoria/Clement/ETC tubies and have never scraped the latex off..never had a tire roll either.

Charles M
02-24-2010, 04:27 PM
After 40 or so Vittorias using Extreme tape, none have rolled. And I dont do anything other than scuff the bottom of the tire a little.

And I do that now after having 20+ tire be just fine without scraping... It frankly seems only to be an issue because it seems like it should be.

I take 3 minutes doing it, Just like the team mechanics I know who use glue on Vittoria's (who also laugh about never scraping em before and not having problems). Vittoria have a bit of a film on the bottom and it doesnt know the difference between glue and tape. If the film came off with glue, it would be the same failure. But it doesnt seem to be an issue for anyone really.

I've never seen an Extreme tape tire come off for any brand, but I have seen several glue jobs let go. Bad glue jobs top be sure, but it is what it is.

At this point I take a little care starting the pull off and the tape comes off clean with the tire leaving no clean up and prep too...

I have no issue with glue, but at this point I know I get a very consistent job done in less than a quarter of the time of glue on initial application and many times quicker on replacement and clean up.

Not saying it's better for everyone... But it's a consistent very fast job that I have never seen fail.

TAW
02-24-2010, 10:01 PM
It's probably been mentioned before, but Zipp does not recommend using the tape. I'm sure it probably works fine, but their rep said not to use it. :)

cody.wms
02-25-2010, 12:48 AM
oldpotatoe, PezTech,

Are you saying ht youve not scraped a Vittoia, and used the Tufo tape, and had a good bond?

I only tried it once, and there was no adhesion on the tire side. Any guess to the reason if not the latex? Once scraped they adhered fine...

oldpotatoe
02-25-2010, 08:41 AM
oldpotatoe, PezTech,

Are you saying ht youve not scraped a Vittoia, and used the Tufo tape, and had a good bond?

I only tried it once, and there was no adhesion on the tire side. Any guess to the reason if not the latex? Once scraped they adhered fine...

I do not sell tape, have never used tape, I only sell and use glue.

Don't scrap. Gluing is not hard, takes not much time, works well...I don't need to glue and ride right now. Another point not mentioned, a flat on the road. Unlikely you are going to be able to take a taped tire off and put on a spare unless you carry another 'tape' with you. I use a preglued spare, old tire off, spare on, air, ride..no problem.

LegendRider
02-25-2010, 08:57 AM
After 40 or so Vittorias using Extreme tape, none have rolled. And I dont do anything other than scuff the bottom of the tire a little.

And I do that now after having 20+ tire be just fine without scraping... It frankly seems only to be an issue because it seems like it should be.

I take 3 minutes doing it, Just like the team mechanics I know who use glue on Vittoria's (who also laugh about never scraping em before and not having problems). Vittoria have a bit of a film on the bottom and it doesnt know the difference between glue and tape. If the film came off with glue, it would be the same failure. But it doesnt seem to be an issue for anyone really.

I've never seen an Extreme tape tire come off for any brand, but I have seen several glue jobs let go. Bad glue jobs top be sure, but it is what it is.

At this point I take a little care starting the pull off and the tape comes off clean with the tire leaving no clean up and prep too...

I have no issue with glue, but at this point I know I get a very consistent job done in less than a quarter of the time of glue on initial application and many times quicker on replacement and clean up.

Not saying it's better for everyone... But it's a consistent very fast job that I have never seen fail.

Do you have any tips for removing tape? Does the hair dryer trick work?