PDA

View Full Version : Plugs for those little holes...

veggieburger
02-23-2010, 07:54 AM
My aluminum cross bike is my primary commuter, but I don't have any fenders or racks mounted. Yet it has holes to mount these accessories.

My question - with all the salt that has been put down on the roads lately, I'm a little concerned about salt getting inside and killing the aluminum. Does anyone here use a specific rubber plug to stop salt from getting in, or...?

skijoring
02-23-2010, 08:02 AM
Just grease up some standard metric bolts and leave 'em in. My method anyway. The frame vent holes you do not want to seal!

oldpotatoe
02-23-2010, 08:03 AM
My aluminum cross bike is my primary commuter, but I don't have any fenders or racks mounted. Yet it has holes to mount these accessories.

My question - with all the salt that has been put down on the roads lately, I'm a little concerned about salt getting inside and killing the aluminum. Does anyone here use a specific rubber plug to stop salt from getting in, or...?

Antisieze on a bolt, screw bolt into threaded holes...

goonster
02-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Fill the holes with beeswax (or any other wax).

veggieburger
02-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Just grease up some standard metric bolts and leave 'em in. My method anyway. The frame vent holes you do not want to seal!

Frame Vent holes?? Eh? What's this all about?

keevon
02-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Another vote for beeswax.

Vent/drainage holes are usually found on the chainstays near the dropouts and on the underside of the bottom bracket. These function to help drain water and also prevent condensation inside the frame.

veggieburger
02-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Oh, right-o. Beeswax it is, thanks guys and gals!

skijoring
02-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Frame Vent holes?? Eh? What's this all about?

Sorry man, I was just mentioning those out of caution...I have seen frames with them taped, plugged etc.

regularguy412
02-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Oh, right-o. Beeswax it is, thanks guys and gals!

I've also used Permatex Form-A-Gasket in situations like this.

Mike in AR:beer:

jbay
02-23-2010, 12:51 PM

My question - with all the salt that has been put down on the roads lately, I'm a little concerned about salt getting inside and killing the aluminum. Does anyone here use a specific rubber plug to stop salt from getting in, or...?Put bolts in the holes. Attach fenders to them. They will keep salt etc. from getting in all kinds of other places too.

-- John

veggieburger
02-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Ok, very well.....fenders - what's decent and not too much $$? Never had fenders...

John M
02-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Ok, very well.....fenders - what's decent and not too much $$? Never had fenders...

I think anyone regularly commuting/riding in rain without fenders is a fool--especially if the bike has eyelets/mounts to easily accommodate them. The planet bike cascadia are good for the money. SKS thermoplastic also are fine. These options cost $40-45 or so. Full length fenders are WAYYYYYY better than the short removable kind and if your bike has the mounting eyelets, no need to use anything but. Once you have them sized, they can be removed or re-installed easily. I do that with SKS 45mm fenders on on my cross bike in less than 3 minutes.

If you want something classier, get aluminum honjos (velo orange sells a similar aluminum, less expensive alternative but I haven't seen them in person). Berthoud stainless are heavier but will last forever.

Volant
02-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Try this. Works great!

veggieburger
02-23-2010, 02:50 PM
I think anyone regularly commuting/riding in rain without fenders is a fool--especially if the bike has eyelets/mounts to easily accommodate them. The planet bike cascadia are good for the money. SKS thermoplastic also are fine. These options cost $40-45 or so. Full length fenders are WAYYYYYY better than the short removable kind and if your bike has the mounting eyelets, no need to use anything but. Once you have them sized, they can be removed or re-installed easily. I do that with SKS 45mm fenders on on my cross bike in less than 3 minutes.

A fool? Well that's not very nice to say. But point taken.